Tungsten buckshot for leopard follow up?

cannot agree more about buckshot. That being said I shot my first jaguar with Remington 11-87 30" Full Choke using 3" 00 Buckshot.
This should like an interesting story, please tell us more. Always wanted to hear a first hand account of hunting Jaguar. If you are ok with that of course.

Yes it is. Any form of pellets is a no no for leopard. For lion any shotgun is a nono.
However a short double shotgun is so much lighter than a large bore double and has a lot less muzzle jump and it has a very natural pointing ability....
Many ask where do you aim at a charging leopard.....well in the middle of the spotted ball of angry shit that is heading your way.....
A leopard unlike a lion will wait until the very last possible minute to launch an attack that is truelly frightening at the speed it takes place....it can hand out 200 stiches each to 4 people and be gone before anybody can get a shot off....
I do the same as Capstick for leopard follow up....
After seeing how quickly a leopard can cause devestation in a follow up...the damage is always upper body and especially the head....scalpings not being uncommon....

I wear a old tank driver jacket it is made of some or other fireproof material and has a lining inbetween the outer and inner material. It is also designed very strong with a handle behind the head so they could aparantly pull the person out the turret if needed. On my head I put a scrum cap....yes you look like a fool but no leopard is gonna tear me apart or scalp me....

When I was still an appy my mentor also wore a jacket but no headgear he did also wrap his left arm with hessian..he also used a slug loaded shortened shotgun with no sight or bead. His reasoning was that with the short shotgun you can get the first shot into the cat and if he reaches you(they always jump on you chest to get to your head) you feed it the wrapped left arm and then you can still use the shotgun with your other hand pushe againdt the leopard and feed it the second barrell....
Sounds like a fairy tale but it is what it is ....so be prepared and wounded leopard follow up is the PH job.

Trust me there is no time to cycle a bolt or work a pump action shotgun.....and most large bore double rifles are gonna aford you only 1 shot....
You've forgotten to protect your goolies.

You've forgotten to protect your goolies.
The jacket has a flap that comes from the back to the front like a nappy....same as a paratroopet jump jacket.....never heard of anybody being castrated by leopard but scalping and arm and chest always

What brand of O.O Buck did you use, Traveler 1 ? And were they copper plated ? Yes, your accomplishment is highly plausible, especially at that range. Upon an unsuspecting jaguar. No doubt some of the O.O Buckshot pellets hit the jaguar in the spinal column, which is what floored him on the spot. I don't think that the same load would work for a frontal shot on a charging jaguar.
Most likely Winchester, but maybe Remington. This hunt was like 1986/87, so I am not sure if 00 Buck was platted. We used best we could at the time. I hit the spine for sure. As for a charging jaguar, if I had a shotgun I would rather use a slug. But then again I am not expect and leave that up the PH or guide.

This should like an interesting story, please tell us more. Always wanted to hear a first hand account of hunting Jaguar. If you are ok with that of course.
I will post a write up soon. It will be combination of several years of trial and error from 5 different hunts. Their is picture in my media is of one taken with my Browning HI-Power. Side-note, we used this picture for a Rolex Ad.

I cannot agree more about buckshot. That being said I shot my first jaguar with Remington 11-87 30" Full Choke using 3" 00 Buckshot. I was in tree sitting on limb about 20 feet above it. He was eating a goat and had no idea I was there. So no adrenaline was pumping through him. I shot it right between the shoulder blades, he never moved. We did not check the penetration, but he was stone dead. I would rather have my rifle on a charging leopard, unless maybe the cover was so think that a shotgun made a little more sense.

I shot my second leopard right at dark. So after waiting the "standard" waiting period. We went to follow it up. I was using my single TC hand-cannon, so I left my TC and the blind and opted to take my 454 Causal instead. My PH took his 375 H&H. I was we leaving the blind, I asked why he did not grab the 12 gauge, as I heard that was best gun for follow up. He said he had bad experiences with follow up using a shot gun and that he was leaving it for the tracker.

Maybe TSS is a shot size larger then T in a 3.5" would have made his past experiences a pleasant one.
Have you ever done a hunt report on your jaguar hunt?

Just saw this has already been requested. Looking forward to reading it!

Hevi-Shot-Dead Coyote. Lots of vids on youtube illustrating its effectiveness. You guys all have way more experience with cats than I do, but I wouldn't hesitate to to use it to end a bear encounter at close range.

Hevi-Shot-Dead Coyote. Lots of vids on youtube illustrating its effectiveness. You guys all have way more experience with cats than I do, but I wouldn't hesitate to to use it to end a bear encounter at close range.
Hevi-Shot only offers the Dead Coyote in loads up to 1 5/8 oz, T shot. Personally, I'd like to see something above 2 oz in BB or T shot for something larger than a coyote.

As for the videos, most of the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote patterning videos I watched (like the one below) left much to be desired. Maybe it's the firearm/choke combination they are using, but the results were less than stellar. I'd expect more for $10 per shell. It's a firm reminder that you need to pattern your shotgun with the load and choke you plan on using for ANY game animal.

Hevi-Shot only offers the Dead Coyote in loads up to 1 5/8 oz, T shot. Personally, I'd like to see something above 2 oz in BB or T shot for something larger than a coyote.

As for the videos, most of the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote patterning videos I watched (like the one below) left much to be desired. Maybe it's the firearm/choke combination they are using, but the results were less than stellar. I'd expect more for $10 per shell. It's a firm reminder that you need to pattern your shotgun with the load and choke you plan on using for ANY game animal.
Maybe buckshot???

I have no leopard experience, however,I think that at leopard follow up range the pattern would be so small there would be no benefit to using buckshot.
If the 4” pattern causes to you make a hit where you would have missed with a 3/4” slug I think you will still get nailed by kitty.
I always favor penetration.

Maybe buckshot???
If TSS, the additional density would allow you to move down in size, increase pellet count and maintain the same (or higher) energy level on target.

I’m a little late to this discussion but I have hunted/killed large boar hogs here in FL with my .416 Rigby, .458 win mag, .375 H&H, 45-70 405 gr solids AND 3” tungsten (TSS) 000 12 ga buckshot. The buckshot (ranges~7-10 yds) is absolutely devastating, even thru the very thick and tough shoulder pad. These are thick skinned, ornery animals not uncommonly in the 200-275 lb range. And, as a retired forensic pathologist, I have pretty extensive knowledge of terminal ballistics.

Given my experience, I would not hesitate to use 12 gauge tungsten 00 or 000 buckshot at this range.

I’m a little late to this discussion but I have hunted/killed large boar hogs here in FL with my .416 Rigby, .458 win mag, .375 H&H, 45-70 405 gr solids AND 3” tungsten (TSS) 000 12 ga buckshot. The buckshot (ranges~7-10 yds) is absolutely devastating, even thru the very thick and tough shoulder pad. These are thick skinned, ornery animals not uncommonly in the 200-275 lb range. And, as a retired forensic pathologist, I have pretty extensive knowledge of terminal ballistics.

Given my experience, I would not hesitate to use 12 gauge tungsten 00 or 000 buckshot at this range.

Hi you had any experience with the hornady nickel plated buckshot?...asked earlier but no response....

I haven't read the book in ages, but I remember Jim Corbett had a whole routine about following up wounded leopards which he did by himself. He had some kind of leather armor he put on, not sure if he used his 450/400 double. I need to read that book again.

The book “White Hunters” by Brian Herne extensively chronicles the history and culture of professional hunters and hunting in Africa from the late 19th century to the recent 70’s. It was very common for PH’s to follow-up wounded leopards with buckshot. It is mentioned so often that it seemed to be the firearm/ammo combination of choice.

I feel some of the desire to use a shotgun comes from the idea that you have a wider margin of error because of the spread of the pellets at the distance of expected use, that is the same thinking that people use to justify a shotgun in a close quarters scenario for defense. A shotgun at 10 feet, or whatever range you envision your encounter with a cat charge, is the same as a rifle shot. They make one hole or something VERY close to one hole. You still have to have precision in your shooting, and after 1000s of rounds of shotgun practice, I am still less precise with a shotgun than a rifle.

I have never had to make a shot on a charging cat, and I hope that trend continues for the rest of my life, but if it doesn't, I want to have a rifle with a red dot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeKirch

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!