Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
I was wondering if anyone has used the 130 tsx in the 270 Win. or the 180 tsx in the 300 Win.

They shoot great in both rifles, but after shooting 2 deer with the 270 (running deer not perfect placement) got the job done but I question expansion on small game, like springbok at long range.

They have worked great in my 375 RUM but it pushes its bullets at high velocity for a 375 which the tsx seems to like. I think the ttsx would be a better expander but the tsx I have on hand and I know they shoot good.

Thanks

Jamie we used both of those calibers in TTSX though, as straight TSX did not work in our rifles.
TTSX flew way better in our guns.

The bullet petals all expanded on everything that was shot.
Through bush and grass as well.

I would make sure that there was nothing on the other side of whatever you are shooting at though. Certainly Springbok.

Bullet performance pictures from Impala and Reedbuck are on AH somewhere. Great weight retention.

If you can find some give them a try.

I used the 180gr TSX in my .300 Win. Ultimately I got away from this bullet as neither the TSX or the TTSX proved to be terribly accurate for me. But they were plenty accurate for the Limpopo and stuff just dies with this bullet.

I do agree with you though, they need speed to expand and be at their best. Certainly the tipped version should help. I think if I were going longer range, I'd give thought to the 165gr for the .300.

I have had great results with the 140gr tsx in .270 from coyote at 30-350yds to Moose at 80-250yds, always did a good job, in fact although they dont blow the coyotes up like some bullets they expand just a bit too good on the coyotes (hide damage)

If you want to shoot at a bit longer ranges, I very much recommend you to use the TTSX versions.

I have been using Swift bullets in my 6.5-06 till now.
But for this coming hunting season I am going to load it with 120 grain TTSX bullets with the BC of .443.
I am sure it will do the job very well :)

These bullets have been discussed on a couple of different threads on here. Also recently on the Long range hunting web site. Have shot both the .300 WSM w/ 150's and my .270WSM w/ the 130's in the TTSX. Expansion has been exactly as advertised. Don't have the pics on this computer but will at work. I'll try to post one later. The TTSX will open up fine on the springbuck. Many find the TTSX to shoot better than the TSX. Good luck. Bruce

Hope I didn't come across as testy... I shoot the Barnes and like them. It seems that most on here do. There are other web sites that are less complimentary about them. They will do just fine on the springbuck. I guess that I need to remember that many have not been here long and may not know how to use the search feature. Also, the only dumb question is the one we don't ask..... I apologize for my lack of consideration. Bruce

We all forget about search functions and it is so easy to post a question. Just bugging you Bruce.

I personally hate the tsx and the TTSX. I've shot them for years. I've shot them in 300 RUM, 338-378 wby mag, 300 wsm, 300 wby mag, 25-06 and 223. I've shot several muledeer, antelope, elk, and african animals. The elk go down hard and the destruction is great. The deer with body mass get hammered as well. However the thin skinned animals take a lot more lead to bring down. The repeated shots needed to take antelope, kudu, and other thin skinned animals left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the tsx, ttsx, and the mrx bullets. However every single gun I have shot these bullets out of does so with extreme accuracy. My 338 Lapua shoots 5" groups with them at 1100 yards. Just last week I was looking for bullets for my 300 wby. The last bullets I shot was a box of weatherby bullets in 180 grain tsx bullets. They shot 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I then backed out to 600 yards and shot a 2" 3 shot group. Its because of the extreme accuracy in every gun I own which keeps me shooting them in my guns. When shooting thinner skinned game I make it a point to put down head shots out to 400 yards.

I personally hate the tsx and the TTSX. I've shot them for years. I've shot them in 300 RUM, 338-378 wby mag, 300 wsm, 300 wby mag, 25-06 and 223. I've shot several muledeer, antelope, elk, and african animals. The elk go down hard and the destruction is great. The deer with body mass get hammered as well. However the thin skinned animals take a lot more lead to bring down. The repeated shots needed to take antelope, kudu, and other thin skinned animals left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the tsx, ttsx, and the mrx bullets. However every single gun I have shot these bullets out of does so with extreme accuracy. My 338 Lapua shoots 5" groups with them at 1100 yards. Just last week I was looking for bullets for my 300 wby. The last bullets I shot was a box of weatherby bullets in 180 grain tsx bullets. They shot 1/4" groups at 100 yards. I then backed out to 600 yards and shot a 2" 3 shot group. Its because of the extreme accuracy in every gun I own which keeps me shooting them in my guns. When shooting thinner skinned game I make it a point to put down head shots out to 400 yards.

Hard for us mere mortals to comprehend such precision shooting as to "put down head shots out to 400 yards"! Under hunting conditions? I may have been born at night but not last night.

I've used the 165gr in the 300 Win on numerous game animals with very good success. My zebra went less than 30 yards on a going away quartering shot. The only problem I had was one bullet fired at a Blue Wildebeeste came apart and only the back part of the bullet was left in the opposite side of his chest. The mfg. said I probably hit a small patch of grass or something that was in front of the bull which caused the bullet to actually turn 180 degrees. Otherwise can't complain about bullet performance.

Head shots at 400? How do you get your game within range of your bench? I am pretty good with a rifle. I practice twice a week. I'm callin BS on this one.

SES, If I have inadvertently stated hard to believe stories on here because I didn't proof read my post and I offended anyone I apologize. I will read my posts a little more carefully next time and leave out any info that may be offensive to others who may not have very good abilities to shoot.

I CAN SHOOT! I bet the only shot you have taken beyond 100yards was off a bench! Total BS 400 yard head shots. Are you a writer for a gun mag?

The TSX seem to be good bullets. I have only fired them in .30cal (30-06) a friend handloaded for me. Accurate enough, and kill game just a dead as the TBBC, Core Lokt, and Power Shok bullets that I have used in the past. If you find a premium bullet that shoots accurately from "your rifle" then stick with it. Most of the bullets (even the cheaper ones) are constructed better than the bullets made 20-30 years ago. Good luck in your search.

TTSX

barnes .270.jpgbarnes .300.jpgbarnes .270 -2.jpgbarnes .300 -2.jpg
Here some pics of recovered TTSX bullets. As you can see they are expanding as advertised. Usually go completely through an animal. Have to go "lengthwise" to recover on. 2 are pics of the same .270 130gr bullet from a deer. The 2 together are from an elk. Hope this helps some. Bruce

View attachment 10990View attachment 10991View attachment 10992View attachment 10993
Here some pics of recovered TTSX bullets. As you can see they are expanding as advertised. Usually go completely through an animal. Have to go "lengthwise" to recover on. 2 are pics of the same .270 130gr bullet from a deer. The 2 together are from an elk. Hope this helps some. Bruce

Wow, recovered Barnes bullets, those things are rarer than the Yeti! LOL I dont often find one in an animal either, even 100 grainers from my .257.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg