Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Dozens of guns were confiscated in October from the carry-on bags of pistol-packing passengers trying to board planes at major U.S. airports.

Last month the Transportation Security Administration screeners found 181 firearms in carry-on bags at airport screening points around the country. A total of 157 were loaded and nearly a third of those had rounds chambered, according to the TSA Blog.

The October confiscations also included a 13-inch cane sword discovered at the airport in Charlotte.

The TSA Blog tallies the number of confiscated firearms each week. The blog also said screeners continue to find inert grenades and other weaponry on a weekly basis.

“Please keep in mind that if an item looks like a real bomb, grenade, mine, etc., it is prohibited," The TSA Blog advises.

The TSA Blog said security screeners grabbed the 181 firearms in carry-on baggage from Oct. 3 to Oct. 30.

Last week a total 41 guns were confiscated. Thirty-four were loaded and 10 had rounds chambered.

The TSA Blog says screeners at the Denver airport were busy. They found three guns on two dates, October 27 and 28.

Last year, the TSA confiscated 1,813 firearms from carry-on bags.

Amazing that people forget or just think they can get by with it. There are stiff fines when this happens.

Agree with CAustin. There is no way you can have a firearm packed in your carry on and not know it. I have carried guns nearly all of my adult life for work and hunting/shooting. But I have never carried one and not known that I had it on or with me. These people that say that they forgot it was in the bag once they get caught are either lying or incredibly stupid and shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm anyway. I applaud the TSA for their efforts and hope that the fines administered to these people are huge!

I have been caught twice with ammo in my carry on, once I had bought a old box of 35 Rem at a store off the beaten path in Wyoming and tossed it into my bag, got a call from Houston to attend a meeting, went and jumped a plane in Casper in a hurry and forgot the ammo was even in there. They were really cool about it, let me take it out to my truck in the parking lot. The second time my son was "helping" me put 12 ga shells back into the box after quail hunting and he must have dropped one in my bag. Bad thing is I flew out of El Paso into Houston, got caught with it flying back out of Houston a couple days later. They were not so cool about it. About two hours of explaining the dynamics of modern firearms and proving that I am not a terrorist, just a republican was intense. I even pointed out the fact that there was a Lincoln Navigator(Gasoline) on display in the secure area of the airport and I was certain that they didn't push it in there. The Navigator was gone the next week by the way. I had to sign a document that stated I may or may not receive a fine for this incident with warnings for future infractions of the rules.
Most of these are probably honest mistakes, I know I have had to return to my vehicle to put my carry gun away several times going into the courthouse. I know you can't carry there but, you get used to having it on you and don't think about it until You see the metal detectors.LOL I now keep my carry on bags very sterile, away from my guns and ammo and still check it out before I load it for a trip.

once the TSA confiscate these forgotten firearms , you obviously cop a fine.
do have to go through a court case to get the the firearm back , or that's it she gone ?
what about your firearms licence , same thing ?
if you have this cool licence to carry a firearm , does it have to be out in the open ?
and if you forget about it , and take back to your ute , do you have to have a secure storage box anchored in the ute ,for the storage ?

once the TSA confiscate these forgotten firearms , you obviously cop a fine.
do have to go through a court case to get the the firearm back , or that's it she gone ?
what about your firearms licence , same thing ?
if you have this cool licence to carry a firearm , does it have to be out in the open ?
and if you forget about it , and take back to your ute , do you have to have a secure storage box anchored in the ute ,for the storage ?
I would assume a firearm would get you a fine or worse yet. Mine was just ammo. As the firearms license goes, it is just a license that allows you to carry a handgun concealed in public, it is issued as an ID card that you carry in your billfold like a drivers license. Each state has its own laws regarding the issue of concealed weapon permits and also laws regarding weapon storage in ones vehicle. Where I live in Texas, firearms must be out of sight in your vehicle. Nothing states locked up. Almost all states that issue concealed carry require you to attend/pass a classroom portion and a hands on firearm proficiency course and qualification. Hopefully our Government never has the power to attempt to take our firearms rights away, though they try every day!

Amazing that people forget or just think they can get by with it. There are stiff fines when this happens.

You'd be amazed how many folks end up leaving their handguns behind at Canada customs when they hit a border crossing on the drive up to Alaska.
30 in one weekend!

You'd be amazed how many folks end up leaving their handguns behind at Canada customs when they hit a border crossing on the drive up to Alaska.
30 in one weekend!
Really? Wow!

even leaving loose live ammo ,in your car can lead to a fine /loss of firearms licence , in Victoria.
had a spent 30.06 round lying in the console of my ute ,when l left it for a service ,and Toyota dealership had a whinge about that .
we cant even have the firearms and ammo in the car together ,unless they are in separate locked containers.
and the glove box doesn't count .

even leaving loose live ammo ,in your car can lead to a fine /loss of firearms licence , in Victoria.
had a spent 30.06 round lying in the console of my ute ,when l left it for a service ,and Toyota dealership had a whinge about that .
we cant even have the firearms and ammo in the car together ,unless they are in separate locked containers.
and the glove box doesn't count .

You make me feel fortunate bluey.

Unfortunately a lot of people take our liberties regarding firearms for granted. I wish they talk to people around the globe to understand how fortunate we are for the most part. We bitch and moan about having to drive to five or six places to get some RL22 powder or the shortage of 22 LR shells. My friend in Belgium told me that the police come to his home to verify that he doesn't have to much ammo for the few firearms that he is permitted to own! Crazy! I couldn't fathom what he told me.

reoader 22 has been available every time ive needed it ,pure dumb luck im told,
barnes projectiles , I waited 14 months for 375 calibre. 30 cal is usually easier to find .
never had an issue with the amount of ammo ive got , as long as its stored safely .even thought it wouldn't count over 2 thousand rounds spread over 11 different calibres.
almost four weeks after my queen passed the boys came to take her 3 firearms ,until I had them changed over to my name .
this is after l went to see them ,to let them know I was aware that it needed to be done and was going to get to it .
that started a shit fight , and they came in and inspected the storage facility, but l wouldn't let them take my joysies firearms ,
and had to get the paperwork started that very day .
since found out ive got 6 months to do it .
bloke l know is after 300 wm brass and has near sent himself mad running around looking for it , he found 50 brand new cases in Tasmania ,paid 125 bucks for them .
and still isn't sure how he is going to get them here to Victoria .

reoader 22 has been available every time ive needed it ,pure dumb luck im told,
barnes projectiles , I waited 14 months for 375 calibre. 30 cal is usually easier to find .
never had an issue with the amount of ammo ive got , as long as its stored safely .even thought it wouldn't count over 2 thousand rounds spread over 11 different calibres.
almost four weeks after my queen passed the boys came to take her 3 firearms ,until I had them changed over to my name .
this is after l went to see them ,to let them know I was aware that it needed to be done and was going to get to it .
that started a shit fight , and they came in and inspected the storage facility, but l wouldn't let them take my joysies firearms ,
and had to get the paperwork started that very day .
since found out ive got 6 months to do it .
bloke l know is after 300 wm brass and has near sent himself mad running around looking for it , he found 50 brand new cases in Tasmania ,paid 125 bucks for them .
and still isn't sure how he is going to get them here to Victoria .
My condolences Bluey, I don't remember who penned the words that it is better to have loved and lost as to have never loved, but he dam sure had never lost nothing before he wrote it!
I'm assuming you can't order items such as brass and bullets from the US?

thank you BT 338,
never tried to order brass from you guys, tried prjectiles once , from cabelas , and that wasn't going to happen .
tried to get a permit for a gun advertised on here ,what an abortion that turned into ,couldn't be that nice to stupid people long enough to see it through .

thank you BT 338,
never tried to order brass from you guys, tried prjectiles once , from cabelas , and that wasn't going to happen .
tried to get a permit for a gun advertised on here ,what an abortion that turned into ,couldn't be that nice to stupid people long enough to see it through .
Tell your buddy to have somebody make a beautiful wind chime out of that 300WM brass and ship it as a gift!LOL

I'm always super worried about ammo in my carry-on. A gun Id notice but there is plenty of ammo around the house and here there and everywhere so I'm always concerned I'll somehow end up with a round somehow winding up in a nook or cranny.

I was driving to a Thunder Ranch class being held off site in Del Rio Texas. I had a shitload of ammo in my truck. Enough for a shooting class and enough to fight my way across Louisiana if needed since it was fairly soon after Katrina. As I was driving through town I could see the welcome to Mexico sign up ahead. I wasn't sure what the laws were exactly in Mexico but I was damn sure that that penalty would far exceed anything I could possibly get for the illegal U-turn I immediately made while still in the good old USA.

Agree with CAustin. There is no way you can have a firearm packed in your carry on and not know it. I have carried guns nearly all of my adult life for work and hunting/shooting. But I have never carried one and not known that I had it on or with me. These people that say that they forgot it was in the bag once they get caught are either lying or incredibly stupid and shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm anyway. I applaud the TSA for their efforts and hope that the fines administered to these people are huge!

Sierraone,

+1 with you on having carried a firearm for work and recreation both, for most of my life - and yet have not ever "forgotten" I was carrying, not once and I am fairly severe ADHD.

So, if my distracted and forgetful blockhead can always remember when I am armed, pretty much anyone can.

Bearing weapons is both a God given right AND an incredibly serious responsibility as well.

I really resent those US Residents who have reckless disregard on this subject, including people who supposedly "forget" they are carrying and try to board a commercial airplane.

Our particularly self absorbed/self serving Government and it's evil right hand, the US Supreme Court, are just gagging for an excuse to re-configure our Constitution.

People violating the US and International Laws of Commercial Air Travel, corrupt as those laws may be are unwittingly helping to supply those bullies with all the statistics they need to beat us down thoroughly, when the Bigshots in Washington feel the time is right.

The old saying: "Those who don't bother to learn history are doomed to re-live it" is valid here.

Problem is - I do not wish to join their dumbasses when they get our rights revoked one of these days.

I think it was Patrick Henry that said: "But don't get me started".

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I'm always super worried about ammo in my carry-on. A gun Id notice but there is plenty of ammo around the house and here there and everywhere so I'm always concerned I'll somehow end up with a round somehow winding up in a nook or cranny.

I was driving to a Thunder Ranch class being held off site in Del Rio Texas. I had a shitload of ammo in my truck. Enough for a shooting class and enough to fight my way across Louisiana if needed since it was fairly soon after Katrina. As I was driving through town I could see the welcome to Mexico sign up ahead. I wasn't sure what the laws were exactly in Mexico but I was damn sure that that penalty would far exceed anything I could possibly get for the illegal U-turn I immediately made while still in the good old USA.
Yes Sir,
Hell, I used to carry an iron into Mexico before all this border war started. Last year I went down deep into Sonora hunting and tore my truck apart making sure there wasn't a spent case in there! Drove back and almost drove into a gunfight at AquaPrieta. I don't play around with Mexico, look at our Marine that had been in prison for 300 days now because our doushebag president doesn't have the nuts to send some hard hitting rangers in there to take him out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg