fhm3006

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia / South-Africa
Greetings fellow enthusiasts!

I am in the infancy stage of tring to get myself one of these rifles.
I will really appreciate any assistance where i can find a picture which shows simultaneously this Lapua 338 cartridge, in size-comparisson with other cartridges such as the 270 / 300 WM / 308 / 30-06 / 375, etc.

Any asistance will be sincerely appreciated,

Hunting regards,

fhm3006

Attachments

• Truvelo 338_800 Sniper Rifle.jpg
    Truvelo 338_800 Sniper Rifle.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 505
Ok
I guess you know it uses a 416 Rigby case necked down

I cannot get the shortcut copied, but Google "338 lapua" and there is a whole image page about 5th from the top with all sorts of cartridges for comparison

I had the pleasure of shooting one of the truvelo guns a couple of years ago -what a pleasure!!!!! and a hell of a calibre!! :huntingrifle:

338 Lapua Cartridge

338 Lapua cartridge in comparison to other common calibers. From left to right:

223 - 308 - 243wssm - 284win - 30-06 - 7wsm - 7mm mag - 300wby mag - 338 lapua mag - 50bmg

1027d1254343835-truvelo-cal-338-lapua-sr-cartridge-338-lapua.jpg

Attachments

• 338-lapua.jpg
    338-lapua.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 804
Last edited by a moderator:
338 Lapua Cartridge

Excellent Jerome !

Thanks a lot - just what i was looking for.

Best Regards

I know it is hard to believe but the 338 Lapua is fast becoming the
go-to gun for South Texas whitetails.

If you need to know why, just ask

Most of the 338 Lapua are built like a sniper rifle...just saying. Hunting on the senderos with a good bench....is like shooting from horizon to another.

Well, hunting large South Texas whitetails is more of a fool's game or an art form, just depends on how it turns out, There obviously must be some attraction to it for someone because, pound for pound, it is about the most expensive hunting there is.

So then picture oceans of very dense brush, about 5 - 8 feet high, in many places too dense for a man to walk through. Couple that with a climatic situation where you might not even get your first freeze until after the season ends so cover is pretty good.

So you take a bulldozer and carve these senderos through the brush, the pipeline contractors and powerline people help but thats about what you got.

erect an enclosed blind, 10 to as much as 20 feet off the ground and space out a number of automatic corn feeders up and down the Sendero....and wait.

You have to have something to get them into the open for a shot, either food or the rut and at that point they can be moving at a rather brisk pace.

Now, the set up comes and you send it. It better work because you just pulled the trigger on maybe $6 - 10 grand. If you wound him and he gets to the brush you will never find him. Simple as that.

So, with the 338 Lapua you can extend your range, perhaps effectively covering 800 - 1200 yards of sendero and perhaps 4 - 6 feeders. (NOTE: that would be 400 - 600 yds either direction from the blind) that gives you more opportunity and the round offers the best chance at an immediate knock down.

Theory is to spend several thou on a gun, on a hunt shoot it once and save a load of money (wait, that just sounded exactly like my ex-wife's shopping report)

In civilian hands the 338 Lapua is a very effective weapon for a very specific purpose. Honestly, I know of really no other civilian circumstance where it would be the first choice but since there is one in the rack now I would be eager to hear if anyone knows of another use for it.

And no, it is not fun to shoot, it is not esthetically pleasing to look at, it is a tool

Set-up as per picture on my initial starting mail - these rifles from Truvelo in South Africa now sells for ZAR 45 K - that is without 16.5 % import VAT into Namibia and without the mark-up by the seller in WHK. I have changed my mind getting one of these - just to damn expensive. Will rather save up and get me a Sauer 375 or Mauser 375 M03 - much more versitile imo.

thanks for the explanation. sounds like nightmare terrain! the accuracy international rifle isnt too bad to look at, better i think than the truvelo but still no oil painting! by the way british airways(at least when you check in at heathrow) wont carry .338 rifles. this i believe is due to the fact that the .338 lapua has had publicity as a military sniper round, and i think due to this reason they wont carry them as they maybe think only the military are allowed this calibre. only my theory though.. unfortunately BA seems to have included the .338 win in this classification as i know from a fire arms meet and greet company they have had clients with .338 win rifles refused at check in, and no amount of explaining will convince them that they arent the same. the uk meet and greet firearms people i use have tried to explain the difference, but to no avail. dont know if this is the same when using BA from the usa or if its only a BA issue in the uk.

As the price of deer hunting in south Texas goes up so does the cost to participate. Sad part is the ranchers love it when you miss! and most do. I shoot to 300 meters 2xweek and even I have to do everything right to score at 400yds. An 8 inch bull at 400yds is really small. Most of the time you have a "GIUDE" with you so, you wound it he'll say for another 10 grand you can wait for another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross