sooner cant happen. i have funds and vacation time devoted to other hunts for 2018/2019. earliest i will be able to hunt is 2020. so i will wait and see what happens, but i wont be sending anyone any deposits for sure.
Ask the outfitter what his cancellation policy is. Most outfitters are very reasonable and will work with you. The way I look at hunts are like this: Some guys go to casinos and risk thousands of dollars. When I hunt, there is no guarantee that you'll get an animal or live to see another day. Therefore, I'm gambling with my money regardless. I buy travel insurance for medical only. The rest I find is a waste personally. I know a guy that went to Kenya during the whole transition faze in the 60's and shot rhino and elephant. It wasn't exactly safe at that time, but he went. Zimbabwe is being hunted, and it has had it's problems. So is Mozambique. Turkey isn't exactly "American Loving" right now but guys are still hunting ibex. I'd just go.I’m in the same boat as you. Bought a trip at a charity auction for $4,000 and plan to take our son. The outfitter wants another $1,000 to “secure my reservation”. At this point, I’d be more inclined to spend the grand on “cancel for any reason” insurance from Travel Guard.
Burkina is where I would like to go. They still have terrorist attacks there but hunting is great I'm told. If I had my way I would go to SA and Namibia every year and alternate Zambia and Burkina on odd years!!!...Tanzania would be even years and Zimbabwe every couple years. Personally I think it would be better to just retire to Namibia and hunt all the time.Burkina Faso is a better deal in my opinion. Have an outfit lined up.