Trump slams elephant hunting..(!)

I believe his original plan to pay for was to add a tax on all bank wire transfers back to Mexico. Everyone said you can't do that. Honestly, I thought that was brilliant.

You also must remember Congress voted to build a wall quite a few years ago. In the typical politician form they didn't vote to fund the building of the wall. This gives each party an out with their base.

I have unfortunately always voted Republican though I thought they were full of hot air. But would do just enough to appeal to their base. Trump's biggest accomplishment to date is proving how full of crap the GOP is. Send repeal bills 7 times to Obama and can't even get a vote for one while we have Trump. Nice talking points, if only we had a republican president...now you do, so do your job!

We re supposed to be talking about ivory, not the GOP

Write a GOP Congressman about the ivory ban and see what type of canned response you get. I have done it and you will get a very irrelevant response.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...mp-official-attends-trophy-hunting-convention
Wonder if this is trump saying one thing in public but doing the opposite behind the scenes?

High-ranking Trump official attends hunting convention

A high-ranking Trump administration official attended a convention hosted by a group that promotes hunters' rights to kill big game and import the body parts to the United States as trophies.

The annual show, one of the largest in the country dedicated to hunting, came less than a week after President Trump announced he would retain an Obama-era ban on importing African elephant trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia, because he does not believe that imports promote conservation.

Safari Club International, (SCI) which runs the convention, has been one of the most vocal proponents of overturning the Obama-era ban.

The group tweeted a photo late Friday that showed acting Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Director Greg Sheehan at the Las Vegas event.

In the tweet, Sheehan is shown surrounded by a group. The tweet said FWS officials were meeting with delegates from Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and South Africa.

#HappeningNow @USFWS officials meeting with delegates and stakeholders from Tanazania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, and South Africa at #SCIConvention2018 stay tuned for updates from the #UltimateSportsmanMarket and #SCIFoundation#FirstForWildlife pic.twitter.com/BXQAoc7UY1

— SCI Foundation (@SCIFoundation) February 3, 2018

Sheehan, the former head of Utah’s wildlife agency, came to FWS last June as principal deputy director and is now its highest-ranking official. Trump has not nominated a FWS director, a position that requires Senate confirmation.

As head of the FWS, Sheehan is the main official responsible for hunting trophy import policies.

The weekend-long Las Vegas event includes a legislative lunch and an SCI Foundation happy hour reception, as well as opportunities to bid on big game hunting trips worth thousands of dollars.

One item, highlighted in an email sent to members obtained by The Hill, is a hunting trip with Madubula Safaris, promoted as one of “Africa’s premier hunting companies.” Photos for the particular hunting trip show hunters standing over dead elephants.

SCI has long advocated for elephant trophy imports. It joined the National Rifle Association to sue the Obama administration for first placing a ban on imports back in 2014.

Trump on Sunday said that the U.S. was formally reinstating the ban on imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia, two of the main African countries with elephant populations, following heavy criticism after the ban was initially overturned last November.

In an interview with British journalist Piers Morgan that aired Sunday, Trump said that he had decided to officially turn the order around.

“I didn’t want elephants killed and stuffed and have the tusks brought back into this [country] and people can talk all they want about preservation and all of the things that they’re saying where money goes towards ― well, money was going ― in that case, going to a government which was probably taking the money, OK?” Trump said.

He added that the “terrible” decision was made by “a very high-level government person.”

Trump said he never believed in the conservation argument that some hunters make, that money paid toward killing elephants would in turn help grow their populations.

The decision on the trophy ban had been hanging in limbo since the president tweeted twice in November that he was putting the decision on hold. Those tweets came amid fierce backlash against the administration for loosening the restriction.

“Put big game trophy decision on hold until such time as I review all conservation facts. Under study for years. Will update soon with Secretary Zinke. Thank you!” Trump said.

His second tweet said he’d be “hard pressed” to change his mind about putting a hold on the reversal, calling elephant hunting a “horror show.”

At the time, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke released a statement in support of the president’s hold, saying, “President Trump and I have talked and both believe that conservation and healthy herds are critical. As a result, in a manner compliant with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, the issuing of permits is being put on hold as the decision is being reviewed.”

A number of major conservation and animal rights groups slammed the administration for undoing the import ban. They were joined by foreign policy experts and conservative pundits.

When Trump made the announcement about the ban Sunday, Zinke was attending the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show, the world's largest gun trade show, in Las Vegas. Photos he tweeted from the event showed him mingling with representatives from the National Rifle Association and National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Reps. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) and John Curtis (R-Utah) confirmed to The Hill that they were both attending the SCI convention this weekend.

FWS did not respond to multiple requests for comment about Sheehan’s attendance or his meeting with representatives from the African nations.

The Center for Biological Diversity criticized Sheehan for attending the convention.

“It’s deeply disturbing to see America’s top wildlife official palling around with an organization fighting for virtually unlimited trophy hunting," said Noah Greenwald, the group's endangered species director. "This inappropriate behavior raises huge questions about Fish and Wildlife’s ability to make impartial, scientific decisions about elephant hunting and other crucial conservation issues.”

In 2014 and 2016 SCI's PAC donated a combined $14,500 to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s congressional campaigns, according to data from the Federal Election Commission.

Zinke spoke at SCI’s annual veterans breakfast in 2016, where he “expressed his support of SCI and all the veterans they serve, then [led] the room in the Pledge of Allegiance,” according to the SCI blog.

When Sheehan was appointed to his role at FWS last June, SCI hailed the decision and was quick to mention he was a current SCI member.

“He is an avid hunter and has hunted in the U.S. and in Africa. Director Sheehan is very familiar with many of the issues that affect SCI members and their abilities to hunt and participate in sustainable use conservation in the U.S. and abroad,” an SCI blog post read.

In July 2017 Zinke and Sheehan received a “wish list” letter from a number of hunting advocacy groups, according to a document obtained by the Huffington Post through a Freedom of Information Act request request. The list included requests to “immediately lift” the elephant trophy ban and reject a petition to put the African leopard on the endangered species list.

Last year SCI leadership wrote a series of posts critical of Trump’s decision to put a hold on the trophy ban.

In a statement to The Hill this week, SCI President Paul Babaz said that the group believed the decision should have been based on science, not emotion.

“Unlike the so-called animal rights groups, hunters proudly fund both conservation efforts and anti-poaching efforts,” Babaz said. “We believe these decisions should be based on sound science - not emotion - and we will continue to provide decision makers with facts on sustainable-use conservation as employed successfully both in the US and abroad.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible the ban has merit? Please hear me out and correct me where wrong. Could the ban force the two countries to correct corruption and spend money on conservation as it should. If importation is still legal from Zimbabwe it would lead me to think Zimbabwe could be "more" on the ups and hunting is being used as a conservation tool there more so than where the ban is in effect.

I am a Hunter and regularly argue and discuss with friends how hunting saves wild life. Just trying to understand both sides of this.

I have only been to Zimbabwe once. Hunted elephant only the one time... But it was in 2014 about 7 months after the ban was implimented. So I feel I witnessed a unique time, regular hinting of elephant has been taking place at relatively high prices and also frequency just prior. It nothing for over half a year.

The people living there were very upset that the PH had not been shooting elephants. He desperately wanted to get one in the larger (1500 people) village that was just a couple miles from the elephant/buffalo camp. Those villagers did not really understand World politics, all they knew was they expected meat and money from the elephants and buffalo that they were living amidst.

Somehow hunting had seemed to run under the radar of Mugabe and his cronies. I think they were occupied stealing the diamonds.... But it also seemed like the people involved up and down the chain were really "bought in" to the hunting industry. It was something in that financially raped country that was still benefiting the common people. It started at the border with the police who inspected my guns and ammo. They were happy to see hunters coming in.

We traveled broadly looking for a good bull. All the villagers we encountered wanted us to take an elephant in there area. It was almost a competition of sorts.

The main village ended up with the meat and money... And it was apparent they were accustomed to that. There was a very nice school that had just been re-roofed. Five big drilled wells we actually drank from. A medical center, veterinarian. A village tractor... All bought, paid for, and maintained with hunters dollars, primarily elephant.

I have only been to Zimbabwe once. Hunted elephant only the one time... But it was in 2014 about 7 months after the ban was implimented. So I feel I witnessed a unique time, regular hinting of elephant has been taking place at relatively high prices and also frequency just prior. It nothing for over half a year.

The people living there were very upset that the PH had not been shooting elephants. He desperately wanted to get one in the larger (1500 people) village that was just a couple miles from the elephant/buffalo camp. Those villagers did not really understand World politics, all they knew was they expected meat and money from the elephants and buffalo that they were living amidst.

Somehow hunting had seemed to run under the radar of Mugabe and his cronies. I think they were occupied stealing the diamonds.... But it also seemed like the people involved up and down the chain were really "bought in" to the hunting industry. It was something in that financially raped country that was still benefiting the common people. It started at the border with the police who inspected my guns and ammo. They were happy to see hunters coming in.

We traveled broadly looking for a good bull. All the villagers we encountered wanted us to take an elephant in there area. It was almost a competition of sorts.

The main village ended up with the meat and money... And it was apparent they were accustomed to that. There was a very nice school that had just been re-roofed. Five big drilled wells we actually drank from. A medical center, veterinarian. A village tractor... All bought, paid for, and maintained with hunters dollars, primarily elephant.

Bob, just a great testimony of how Africa needs hunting.

I should ad, there were lots of elephant around. Just because they are around does not mean you can walk up and shoot one, takes a lot of maneuvering against a fickle wind, avoiding cows and calves, finding the right one. Getting close and,a good angle.. take a a lot of hard hunting and luck;)

A big contrast to me was my more recent trip to Mozambique years after the ban was implemented there. Still sign of elephants around, tracks dried into the mud, some pushed over dead trees, lots of talk of elephants in the past, even heard one once. But not the numbers one would expect.

Talk of poachers taking 3 per day. Carcasses rotting, no real benefits to the villagers overall. Only to those doing the poaching.... very sad.

I assume their has been no additional news on this subject.

With the prices I'm seeing for free-ranging lion and elephant, I don't think the ban is making much of a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!