Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
Yesterday I was at my shooting range on my property near my home, wanting to test some handloads for my .375 H&H rifle. I have some steel "gong" targets set at 250M range. It was amusing to find a nice herd of mule deer and a moose in the way, so could not shoot. A good way to have a "problem" at the shooting range.
IMG_3365.jpeg

OMG. How does anyone actually live in that environment? It is fall here in Texas as well, but we’ll "only" reach 72 this afternoon. :cool:

Last edited:
That's a cool pic! Thanks!

I once had a young whitetail doe run through the field between me and my 300yd target while I was honing in my .223. As I waited for her to vacate I found out why she was scampering...two coyotes came out into the field on her trail. (100yds out)
Fatal mistake.
I considered my rifle honed in at that point...it was one of only two doubles I got coyote hunting that winter.

This happens at the Whittington Center often when not a lot of people there. Very enjoyable breaking for a water waiting for the deer and turkeys to move on.

Years ago I was running an o refinery in Wyoming. We had our own rifle range on refinery property and a tame herd of antelope that wandered about. I remember one day working up loads for my .300 H&H, about to break the trigger and suddenly all I could see was brown in the scope. A buck had wandered into my line of fire in the middle of a string of shots! Crazy critters had absolutely no fear of gunfire!

Funny thing, that was one of two oil refineries I was responsible for over the years that had their own rifle ranges!

Such an awesome problem to have. Thank you for the picture

OMG. How does anyone actually live in that environment? It is fall here in Texas as well, but we’ll "only" reach 72 this afternoon. :cool:

Only got to 15 F at my house in Anchorage today. Thankfully the range is closed on Mon and Tue.

It would have have been better to take the picture before most of the deer left, but they were too quick for me. There was 8-10 more that had already gone over the hill before I could get the phone out. Couple of nice bucks in the bunch too. I thought it was a rather mild day, since it had warmed up to -5°C.

I pity the folks that live where they only have one or two seasons of the year.

My gun club is surrounded by farms (Jolly Green Giant Country) and its not un common to have deer walk into the rifle range along with a few Pheasants

I'm pondering the one or two " seasons" comment. Yes we are blessed with very distinct seasons in Saskatchewan. And great diversity and many opportunities in the outdoors. Where I live we can have temperatures ranging from -40 in January to +40 in July. We mostly hear disparaging comments about the cold from foreigners though. Spring and autumn are a time of great change. And hunting seasons are varied too, spring snow goose, spring black bear, year round varmints and beaver and coyote. September is the start of most hunting, waterfowl ( duck, goose, coot, snipe, crane) followed by upland birds ( three species of grouse, grey partridge, pheasant) and two species of deer ( Whitetail and Mule) and our own Manitoban strain of elk / wapiti, Canada moose, and fur bearers like wolf and fox and such. We also have a small huntable population of pronghorn antelope. Most of our hunting is finished along with the calendar year, it's just too cold in January. So, lots of varied seasons, weather and hunting opportunities! :)

Last edited:
Red Leg,

I know how you feel, as I cannot imagine how anyone actually lives in a pizza oven-like environment, LoL
Anchorage almost never gets above the mid 70’s Fnht., each summer.
But when it does, I start frantically searching for shade and something very cold to drink.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Last edited:
Red Leg,

I know how you feel, as I cannot imagine how anyone actually lives in a pizza oven-like environment, LoL
But when it does, I start frantically searching for shade and something very cold to drink.

Cheers,
Velo Dog
I think I saw 80 a few times this past year. Oh wait, that was when I was working in Miami for a couple weeks back in the January. Sweltering....

Red Leg,

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Funny what you get used to. At one point in my career I was responsible for the Williams refining and terminal assets in AK. That Fairbanks refinery was interesting in design. For the engineers in the room, the equipment spec range on ambient temperature was -60’F to +100’F. During my tenure I actually saw the temperature at -60’F and +99’F! This is the widest ambient range I have seen anywhere.

When I moved to Kenai I told folks that we were in Alaska’s banana belt. It rarely got down below -20’F on the coast.

Funny what you get used to. At one point in my career I was responsible for the Williams refining and terminal assets in AK. That Fairbanks refinery was interesting in design. For the engineers in the room, the equipment spec range on ambient temperature was -60’F to +100’F. During my tenure I actually saw the temperature at -60’F and +99’F! This is the widest ambient range I have seen anywhere.

When I moved to Kenai I told folks that we were in Alaska’s banana belt. It rarely got down below -20’F on the coast.
Red Leg,

Cheers,
Velo Dog
We get two seasons here in Palmer. Winter, and those few months that it’s not. I have been here since ‘79 and couldn’t think of a better place to live.

"Hunting" season lasts a reasonably long time in Saskatchewan.
But one of my late father's famous quotes was "If summer falls on a Sunday this year, I'm going to host a barbecue"

I went out this morning to look for a coyote. Shot one just over the ridge where the moose is standing in the first picture. ( at about 200 Meters, .222 Rem) Then the resident mule deer walked past, and the moose a little later and farther up the hill. It's nice to have so many animals at home on the range.

IMG_3438.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.