Trophy - The Film

Educate the audience first and foremost smile and have fun

Just finished watching, the credits are still rolling. Phillip I thought you did a great job. I have learned some much in the last several years reading and being educated by the experience we have hereon this site. One of things I have learned is one point that Mr. Hume said in the debate. 'You don't know Africa". People think that standing on a corner in Vegas holding a sign constitutes hard ship. We as a society cannot fathom the hardship and suffering that the people of Africa endure everyday. Until these people can wrap their heads around the complexity that is Africa it will be hard for any of them to truly understand what needs to happen there. The guy said all the profits go into someone's pocket. They don't understand what would happen if hunting stops. How many thousands of animals would be poached if that were to happen. That would be the saddest I told you so in human history. It is up to us to keep fighting not only for our rights but for the animals also. Thank you Phillip for putting yourself out there. The backlash for you and your family must be pretty tough to deal with at times. Once again thank you.

Just finished watching, the credits are still rolling. Phillip I thought you did a great job. I have learned some much in the last several years reading and being educated by the experience we have hereon this site. One of things I have learned is one point that Mr. Hume said in the debate. 'You don't know Africa". People think that standing on a corner in Vegas holding a sign constitutes hard ship. We as a society cannot fathom the hardship and suffering that the people of Africa endure everyday. Until these people can wrap their heads around the complexity that is Africa it will be hard for any of them to truly understand what needs to happen there. The guy said all the profits go into someone's pocket. They don't understand what would happen if hunting stops. How many thousands of animals would be poached if that were to happen. That would be the saddest I told you so in human history. It is up to us to keep fighting not only for our rights but for the animals also. Thank you Phillip for putting yourself out there. The backlash for you and your family must be pretty tough to deal with at times. Once again thank you.
ScottG
You are spot on with your comments about Africa!
Thanks for the kind words.
Philip

I am not a media expert, but the most dangerous witnesses in a courtroom are the ones that make eye contact with their audience (judge or jury). If you lock eyes with the CEO or the moderator you are only talking to him. If you can, give your honest answers to the audience.

Good luck, and enjoy the challenge!
That is a great point.

Does anyone have a link to the segment?

I think its great how the film and the people featured in the interview here showed the interconnectedness of various aspects of the conservation of wildlife despite differing methods to achieve the final goal. It is also great how they showed that the common goal is that nobody wants to see these animals go extinct (either hunters or those strongly opposed to it).

I also think it was great how they showed the differences and similarities between rural people in say Zimbabwe compared to urban westerners. While people living in western cities may view elephants and lions as cute, cuddly and majestic animals to a rural Zimbabwean they represent a huge threat- they can physically kill you or destroy your livelihood and thus lead to a starvation or a drastically reduced diet. I think it highlights that there problems with the wildlife stem from the fact that they want physical security and also food security- these are common needs/desires for all humans whether in Africa or America. But I also liked how it showed what the two societies have in common- a dead elephant represents much needed protein to Zimbabwean villagers just like a steak in a supermarket is food for westerners. We are all humans who gotta eat...

I think getting people to understand and appreciate the differences and similarities between say urban Americans and rural Africans would go a long ways in shoring up support for sustainable hunting practices...

Philip Glass I applaud your role in the film and portraying hunters in a positive light and being a great representative of an ethnical hunter. But I have to ask, and I mean no disrespect to you, I am just genuinely curious why did you bring up creationism vs. evolution ?? just my opinion but I don't personally see what it adds to the whole message of sustainable hunting helps conservation etc...

I think its great how the film and the people featured in the interview here showed the interconnectedness of various aspects of the conservation of wildlife despite differing methods to achieve the final goal. It is also great how they showed that the common goal is that nobody wants to see these animals go extinct (either hunters or those strongly opposed to it).

I also think it was great how they showed the differences and similarities between rural people in say Zimbabwe compared to urban westerners. While people living in western cities may view elephants and lions as cute, cuddly and majestic animals to a rural Zimbabwean they represent a huge threat- they can physically kill you or destroy your livelihood and thus lead to a starvation or a drastically reduced diet. I think it highlights that there problems with the wildlife stem from the fact that they want physical security and also food security- these are common needs/desires for all humans whether in Africa or America. But I also liked how it showed what the two societies have in common- a dead elephant represents much needed protein to Zimbabwean villagers just like a steak in a supermarket is food for westerners. We are all humans who gotta eat...

I think getting people to understand and appreciate the differences and similarities between say urban Americans and rural Africans would go a long ways in shoring up support for sustainable hunting practices...

Philip Glass I applaud your role in the film and portraying hunters in a positive light and being a great representative of an ethnical hunter. But I have to ask, and I mean no disrespect to you, I am just genuinely curious why did you bring up creationism vs. evolution ?? just my opinion but I don't personally see what it adds to the whole message of sustainable hunting helps conservation etc...
Dragan N.
Good question and I appreciate it. That discussion where I speak about evolution versus creation was obviously during the emotional lion hunt. What I am describing there, and it gets a little lost in the editing I think, is me as a believer going up to my lion for the first time and admiring him and then thinking If I was not a believer and embraced evolution then that gorgeous killing machine was simply an accident of nature. I can't believe that the lion is an accident and I believe God spoke that magnificent animal into existence. I was really wound up emotionally and I let it rip!
Thanks for your excellent points about westerners versus Africans.
Regards,
Philip

This is a brilliant interview. Props to the filmmakers for keeping an open mind. @Philip Glass - how did they find you? I'm curious about the backstory.
flat8
It was by accident I suppose (nothing is ever really an accident). They met my PH for the buff/Ele hunt at SCI and found out about me. The PH told them that I was a good hunter and outspoken on conservation and they asked to go along. I said sure why not and the rest is history! That was 2015.
Philip

I have been looking forward to seeing this film but wanted the BluRay so I could play it in my home theater (which I don't have hooked up to iTunes). I was happy to see it available on my Kaleidescape today and will finally get to watch it tonight. Ironically, the first ever HDTV content I got were two beautifully shot wildlife films called Kalahari - The Great Thirstland and Kalahari - The Flooded Desert that were exclusively available on that system.

Back to Africa tonight, if only for a little bit...

upload_2018-1-4_13-23-47.png

You sure got someone attention.
I refuse to post a link to their diatribe. The tag line says it all.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 19.36.31.png

Here is the itinerary for Friday CNN interviews. All Eastern Times:

11:45am on At This Hour. Brianna Keilar will actually be anchoring the show from DC that day, so this interview with be remote. You'll be talking one-on-one with Brianna.

9pm on Cuomo Prime Time. You'll be talking with anchor Chris Cuomo and Prashant Khetan, CEO of Born Free USA (his predecessor, Adam Roberts, was in the film). Preshant will be joining from DC.

CNN_TROPHY_FILM.jpg

Member Alert
Dear SCI Members,

As you know from previous emails, the recent movie "Trophy" contains segments that attack our sport and our way of life. The film was shown at select theaters across the country last September and received mixed reviews, which can be seen here.

One of these reviews includes the producers' admission that: "We really wanted to shame the industry," which illustrates their obvious bias. While the film makes the occasional concession to the truth that hunting is a critical cornerstone of conservation in Africa, the movie on balance is nonetheless an anti-hunting propaganda piece.

While original viewership of the film was very small, we have learned that CNN will air the film on Sunday, January 14 at 9:00 PM EST. We expect viewership of the film to continue to be very small, but wanted to inform you that we are prepared for all outcomes.

If you or someone else from your chapter is contacted by the media requesting an interview or comment on the film, we ask that you contact our public relations team at scipr@theheraldgroup.com or call 202-617-3008 immediately. Our team will respond accordingly to the request.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Rick Parsons
CEO Safari Club International

Rick Parsons needs to watch the video! He is wrong about the film makers position. I've been ignored by SCI and embraced by DSC!
I am going to NYC to be on CNN and can't even get anyone at SCI to talk to me. I'd appreciate some AH help if anyone is so inclined to email the top brass at SCI. Don't get me wrong I am not asking them to support the film just be a part of the conversation! Any maybe support me, a life member of SCI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg