Trophy - The Film

@npm352 ,

Wow!

I posted my smart aleck comment before watching the video. Stuck in a cave like that I would have never even thought of NOT shooting it in the head. Kinda shows you the difference between someone with experience and someone without, doesn't it?

I've never had mountain lion over dogs really high on my list, but you're sure making it move up, but only if I can get my fat butt back in shape!

Hound hunting is one of the most primative hunting methods. You wonder why dogs chase cats? That because dogs are like wolves, only work for us. They want to hunt. First they went for elephant hunters. Then hound and bait hunt. Next they will come for tracking and spot and stalking

@Royal27 Haha. I left my dull butter knife at home! The .40 hydroshock hit it in the nose, half mushroomed and half blew up and you can see when it is in the tree its nose is bloody. I pulled half the bullet out of the skull when I boiled it. It never penetrated past the nose cavity. Was a weird shot....had never practiced shooting upside down, around the corner in mostly dark into a hissing carnivore!! I had the gun sort of out in front around this ledge....was weird. Before I went in my buddy was like, "remember you have a gun between you and a lot of bullets." I was still pretty scared. It all ended well, but a full metal jacket would have been better. I am glad I had ear plugs. A friend of mine had a buddy shoot a bear in a cave and it burst both eardrums. In hindsight, it was stupid. We thought of just trying to catch it the next day in a tree, but we waited 7 days to recut the cat. It was working a cycle through a huge winter closure and popping out into huntable public every week. We ran it a week before but it went to the closure. My friend was out every night for a week waiting to find it coming back through his cycle. It had a 45-47 inch stride and a lioness sized foot so it was recognizable once it did.

@npm352 haha you're buddy "When you say pull, I'll pull you out.....Is your shoe tied on good?":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keep living in your bubble. When a non-hunter sees an animal run up a tree by dogs then a brave hunter comes and shoots it out of the tree at point blank range I can see why they have a negative image of hunting. It is not something I like to see either. Stop hiding behind that it is legal. It is only dangerous if you can’t hit your target at 75 feet. If it makes you feel like a big man so be it.
@Docpk you seem like a pretty open minded guy :E Rofl:
So I’m sure I am not wasting my time with this, but have you even stopped to consider the conservation and management aspect of hunting mountain lion or bear with hounds? You do understand that lion eat deer, elk and even moose? Everything from mice to moose actually. Mountain lion populations must be managed just like every other species of game. Without hound hunting there is no management. Mountain lion populations are some of the best studied and managed game species and hound hunting is THE best tool available to biologists to regulate the population to maintain a balanced ecosystem. If you look at lion harvest by method of take, you will see that lions taken by any other method than hounds is virtually single-digit. How would you suggest lion populations be managed without hound hunting?
Mountain lion populations increase quickly when hound hunting is taken from the managers tool box. Look no further than California and Oregon. The more lion there are the more ungulates get eaten. Ungulate populations experience dramatic fluctuations at times due to many factors, severe winters and disease to name a couple. Would you advocate not managing the predator/prey relationship?
One of my points here is, anyone who engages these topics of discussion such as hound hunting, baiting, trapping, etc, etc, etc will quickly discover that they are very complex, multi faceted and nuanced topics that are worth studying with an open mind. An attitude of moral superiority and condemnation, my way is right and yours is wrong may feed one’s ego, but it is detrimental to wildlife and to hunting. I encourage anyone to disagree if you believe something different, but at least engage in the conversation with respect and enough of an open mind to learn a few things as you go.
One thing I have learned is that some people are not wired this way. It has to be my way because I am superior. My morals are superior, my ethics are superior, my intelligence is superior, my abilities are superior, my courage is superior...
Thank God most of us are not condemned to go through life like that. What a living hell that must be.

@Philip Glass,

Watched the movie last night, thank you for doing what you’ve done for the hunting community. It’s a shame in this day and age we are still unable to band together and not criticize and judge each other.

Tonight I was quite humbled to be recognized by J. Alain Smith who was MC for the Beretta Awards dinner at the SCI Convention. I was totally surprised when he began speaking about Trophy and then introduced me to the crowd which was made up of all the hunting celebrities and top brass of SCI!
Regards,
Philip

Tonight I was quite humbled to be recognized by J. Alain Smith who was MC for the Beretta Awards dinner at the SCI Convention. I was totally surprised when he began speaking about Trophy and then introduced me to the crowd which was made up of all the hunting celebrities and top brass of SCI!
Regards,
Philip
You deserve it sir! You put yourself out there for the hunting community like very few people have.

Keep living in your bubble. When a non-hunter sees an animal run up a tree by dogs then a brave hunter comes and shoots it out of the tree at point blank range I can see why they have a negative image of hunting. It is not something I like to see either. Stop hiding behind that it is legal. It is only dangerous if you can’t hit your target at 75 feet. If it makes you feel like a big man so be it.
You obviously don't understand that it is not all about shooting the animal. It is about HUNTING the animal. Especially for most trophy hunters.

The shot at the end is the culmination of the hunt after all the planning, travel into the animals environment, learning about the animals behaviour, the culture of your prey as well as the local people. Look what fun it would be to just participate in the process with characters that hunt cats;)

It is about adventure, it is about life and death, it is about living and being truly alive. For many if not most hunters it is about getting back to their roots, hell the very roots of humanity.

And these days it is about preserving the places and the creatures who inhabit them.

No the shooting is really a small but necessary part... To me the climax is often those fleeting moments right before pulling the trigger, when your heart rate peaks as you try to control it and your brearhing to make a good shot.... Or letting off because of a lost moment or often deciding it is better to let this one walk and try again for a more appropriate animal to take.

You indeed do not "get it"... I'm sorry for you and hope you can learn to appreciate everything that hunting is about.

Regards,
Philip

Awesome. Congrats- well deserved

@Docpk, try to get the elusive leopard. Even where there is little pressure, some are still nocturnal, which bring the need for baiting, night, and hounds

Anyone knows how I can watch it in Europe? Itunes doesn’t have it over here...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/trophy/id1269427493

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 11.27.41 AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you