Trophy - The Film

There is nothing like running game with hounds. And it sure is not easy and it is plenty sporting. Here is an old tom my pack caught last Saturday in Idaho. Was an all day trail and hiked for about 12 miles (about an average day) and it took 5 hours in the dark to get from the tree back to the truck on this highly "unethical" hunt. :rolleyes:I cannot imagine the action in a leopard hunt with hounds. I dream of that hunt and bringing one from my pack to join the fun.

Wow, never saw a tree climbing dog before.

It is a bad habit. I had to climb up there like three feet from that cat to grab her collar and lower her down so we could tie her up so my buddy could shoot. She fell out once and impaled a stick into her abdomen a few years ago. Once she chased a tom right off a cliff, broke both front leg bones on one side, caught the lion and was treeing with a flappy leg when I got there. Dog has nine lives but is a little dumb sometimes. But, point is, hound hunting is as sporting as it gets in my mind...and a wayyy dangerous way to hunt leopards.

It is a bad habit. I had to climb up there like three feet from that cat to grab her collar and lower her down so we could tie her up so my buddy could shoot. She fell out once and impaled a stick into her abdomen a few years ago. Once she chased a tom right off a cliff, broke both front leg bones on one side, caught the lion and was treeing with a flappy leg when I got there. Dog has nine lives but is a little dumb sometimes. But, point is, hound hunting is as sporting as it gets in my mind...and a wayyy dangerous way to hunt leopards.

Dangerous for the dog

Here is a picture of Philip's "non-dangerous" leopard that he hunted with dogs.

Picture says more in rebuttal to your statement than I can.

View attachment 215375
Thanks Royal! I was nearly killed along with my PH. Leopard hunting is not mountain lion hunting!
Philip

There is nothing like running game with hounds. And it sure is not easy and it is plenty sporting. Here is an old tom my pack caught last Saturday in Idaho. Was an all day trail and hiked for about 12 miles (about an average day) and it took 5 hours in the dark to get from the tree back to the truck on this highly "unethical" hunt. :rolleyes:I cannot imagine the action in a leopard hunt with hounds. I dream of that hunt and bringing one from my pack to join the fun.
Yes and I can’t wait to hunt a mountain lion with hounds one day soon!

Philip, I have had people take it a step further and want a "fair fight" which they define as we human have to use our hands, teeth and fingernails and nothing else. I think the real purpose of that argument is that they want the animal to win.
The antis ignorant dribble. Yes I’ve heard it many times this last year. The other dumb thing is they say I should hunt alone when that is illegal hunting DG without PH.
Philip

Can you please answer a question for me? You have stated multiple times that the sound was added, which made you and the PH look bad...even to hunters who support you and the hunt (meat for the villagers). You have also stated this is not an antihunting movie...why would they have added the sound if they were not antihunting?
To make an impact on the viewer of course. His film was made to be controversial and poke at everyone regardless of viewpoint. I suggest watching it a second time you’ll begin to see what I am talking about.

I was not attacking the PH or judging him I was just looking for some additional details, my apologies if I came across as critical or questioning of him...

As far as the noise that is really unfair to you and the PH that the people making the movie would add in or exaggerate all of those sounds to make it seem like the elephant was taking forever to die. Thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify that...
You’re welcome. This was the only part of the film that I know for a fact was embellished. I am not trying to dodge the facts don’t get me wrong. I’d just like to challenge anyone else to have their first DG hunt filmed and shown to the entire world to criticize!
Philip

@Docpk You have something wrong with the way everyone hunts except you. First hound hunting isn't sporting or ethical because in your eyes the animal has no chance. Then it is just too dangerous for the dog....meanimg the fair chase part, the fact that the animal can fight back, is all of the sudden too fair chase. No shit it is dangerous for the dog! The hound in that picture, Sparta, weighs 38 pounds and she treed that 160plus pound tom on her own and held it for 30 minutes before the other two dogs could get through the cliffs and make it to the tree. She is five and has caught over 40 lion, a handful of bobcats and over 25 bears. Every track she takes she knows the risk. But she goes and she loves it. She lives for it. Any time she isn't hunting she is waiting for the next time she can be cut loose to sing her song and go to war. She is a supreme athelete and an ultimate predator. To me it is cruel to own a working dog, a dog bred for a job, and let it sit at home getting fat of kibbles, without a chance to work. Hound hunting is one if the most traditional and pure forms of hunting. Hunting the big five is dangerous, but I do it when I can save the money I earn training dogs. Just like dangerous game hunting for hunters on this site, it is an issue of desire and opportunity. I give my dogs the opportunity to go and do what they have been bred to do for thousands of years. They have the desire and choose to takenthe tracks I work my ass off to find for them.
Docpk, you are nothing but a troll and an absolute drain on this community of hunters. Hunt however you want but putting down other hunters and their legal methods, especially youth hunters, is out of line and complete bullshit. You, yes you, are what is wrong with our community. You are the problem.

@Philip Glass you are correct...hound hunting lions is not danergous for people unlike leopards. Is is almost absurd how different they are. Ive climbered up and pulled some lions by the tail to get them to jump out so trainer puppies can rerun them...id end up dead if they were leopards. PM me sometime, maybe sometime I can host you out here if you draw the proper permits. You are the type of hunter I like to hunt with.

@Philip Glass you are correct...hound hunting lions is not danergous for people unlike leopards. Is is almost absurd how different they are. Ive climbered up and pulled some lions by the tail to get them to jump out so trainer puppies can rerun them...id end up dead if they were leopards. PM me sometime, maybe sometime I can host you out here if you draw the proper permits. You are the type of hunter I like to hunt with.

And this is now AH ends up making life long friends. Awesome. I hope this works out. I'd love to read about it.

To make an impact on the viewer of course. His film was made to be controversial and poke at everyone regardless of viewpoint. I suggest watching it a second time you’ll begin to see what I am talking about.
I can watch it 100 times and that does not change the fact that I see directors/editors/producers who manipulated the truth to make an antihunting movie.

You will find it easier. To a novice spit and stalker, hound hunting by experts is easier. However there are different requirements. Keeping up with the hounds. The hounds use scent or sight.

BEE641B1-BE3B-466B-BEA8-BD8AE057F0C5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Docpk You have something wrong with the way everyone hunts except you. First hound hunting isn't sporting or ethical because in your eyes the animal has no chance. Then it is just too dangerous for the dog....meanimg the fair chase part, the fact that the animal can fight back, is all of the sudden too fair chase. No shit it is dangerous for the dog! The hound in that picture, Sparta, weighs 38 pounds and she treed that 160plus pound tom on her own and held it for 30 minutes before the other two dogs could get through the cliffs and make it to the tree. She is five and has caught over 40 lion, a handful of bobcats and over 25 bears. Every track she takes she knows the risk. But she goes and she loves it. She lives for it. Any time she isn't hunting she is waiting for the next time she can be cut loose to sing her song and go to war. She is a supreme athelete and an ultimate predator. To me it is cruel to own a working dog, a dog bred for a job, and let it sit at home getting fat of kibbles, without a chance to work. Hound hunting is one if the most traditional and pure forms of hunting. Hunting the big five is dangerous, but I do it when I can save the money I earn training dogs. Just like dangerous game hunting for hunters on this site, it is an issue of desire and opportunity. I give my dogs the opportunity to go and do what they have been bred to do for thousands of years. They have the desire and choose to takenthe tracks I work my ass off to find for them.
Docpk, you are nothing but a troll and an absolute drain on this community of hunters. Hunt however you want but putting down other hunters and their legal methods, especially youth hunters, is out of line and complete bullshit. You, yes you, are what is wrong with our community. You are the problem.

Keep living in your bubble. When a non-hunter sees an animal run up a tree by dogs then a brave hunter comes and shoots it out of the tree at point blank range I can see why they have a negative image of hunting. It is not something I like to see either. Stop hiding behind that it is legal. It is only dangerous if you can’t hit your target at 75 feet. If it makes you feel like a big man so be it.

It is only dangerous if you can’t hit your target at 75 feet.

That has got to win the prize for most vacuous statement of 2018. Of course it is only dangerous if you don't kill it! Same for buffalo, elephant and terrorist. But, as you well know, there is a lot of activity before that moment. And, as you also must be aware, a so called "bad shot" happens for many reasons.

Keep living in your bubble. When a non-hunter sees an animal run up a tree by dogs then a brave hunter comes and shoots it out of the tree at point blank range I can see why they have a negative image of hunting. It is not something I like to see either. Stop hiding behind that it is legal. It is only dangerous if you can’t hit your target at 75 feet. If it makes you feel like a big man so be it.
You are missing your calling. You really should be a troll - maybe you are. It is hard to imagine someone so willfully ignorant who has the experience you claim to have. You clearly have zero real world understanding of either the forms of hunting or the people whom you so casually insult. There are folks on this site who have done some rather hairy things in tough places, and only some of that had anything to do with hunting. So how about sparing all of us the "feel like a big man" crap.

@Docpk First of all, I do not gauge my hunting methods on the rhetoric of what antis and nonhunters think or don't think...or you, especially, since I am starting to wonder what camp you call home anyway.. Anyone whom I have had an opportunity to talk to about hunting with my hounds realizes shooting something in a tree is a drop in the bucket compared to everything that goes along with hound hunting. It is the anticlimax and frankly we hardly do it. Last year 19 lions went up, and one came down dead. And anyone who has been with me, hiking miles in snowshoes in the Idaho backcountry has definetly come away with new feelings about how "easy" it is if they were sceptical. And the latests hunt, the one with the pics above where I finally found my buddy an old tom after we caught 15 or so cats, was not easy. We were hiking from 8am to 10pm minus time for shooting amd skinning it so I bet even the crampon wearing, ice axe weilding with bulging biceps Kuiu models might have turned back So don't talk to me about easy. I have been on easy lion hunts, and they usually happen after about 20 really tough ones.

Anyway, take a look at the video below. This is the only tom I habe ever killed in the 60-70 or so catches I have had since I started. It was probably 185 pounds, and I was lowered into a cave with a Glock .40 for the first shot. Is this dangerous enough? Does this prove my hunting manhood to you? Can I be a big boy like you too? Do you think a lion backed into a cave is dangerous enough...or any wild animal, let alone carnivore? Would you have the guts to do that?

You're a troll and everything that is destroying our great sport. Insult me all you want, but only a true d-bag would insult a kid for his legal method of shooting his first (or any) deer.

You are missing your calling. You really should be a troll - maybe you are

Oh I don't think he missed at all. He's either a troll, willfully ignornant, or both. As he also contradicts himself about DG hunting I'm guessing both, but troll he definitely seems to be.

That has got to win the prize for most vacuous statement of 2018. Of course it is only dangerous if you don't kill it! Same for buffalo, elephant and terrorist. But, as you well know, there is a lot of activity before that moment. And, as you also must be aware, a so called "bad shot" happens for many reasons.

You forgot brown bear, they aren't dangerous by his own definition, so I'm sure the below was just a typo and that he meant to say his non dangerous experience was a bear. :ROFLMAO:

Dangerous game experience is brown bear -

And by the way doc, I'm not a "if it's legal we have to support it" guy at all. I've gotten into more discussions here on that subject than you have posts. You seem to believe though that if you don't do it no one should. I'm really glad I don't live in your world.

We have a really nice community here and we are generally very nice and respectful, listening to others opinions and giving ours without criticizing. I offer the following suggestion on the 1% chance you aren't a troll. Either join our friendly community and be willing to listen instead of just to condemn, or move on and find someplace else to be Holier than Thou. There are lots of places on the internet that welcome people that act like you have with open arms, this isn't one of them.

Last edited:
It was probably 185 pounds, and I was lowered into a cave with a Glock .40 for the first shot.

Why a Glock? Did you not have a dull butter knife with you in order to make it truly sporting ? ;)

When a non-hunter sees an animal run up a tree by dogs then a brave hunter comes and shoots it out of the tree at point blank range I can see why they have a negative image of hunting. It is not something I like to see either. Stop hiding behind that it is legal.
So by that thinking, we should all stop hunting all together right? Don't want to upset people that don't hunt and have no idea what hunting is about, or how it is a huge piece of conservation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you