Trophy - The Film

The Final shot should have been a brain shot, not a chest shot; not that I am an expert of elephant hunting. But I was not there, and can only see what was shown in the film, which was subject to editing. My point was Mr Glass is taking a lot of heat on another board over that shot, he should not be, the PH & the Outfitter ARU should be taking that heat, not Mr. Glass. I know of several folks that are going to address that issue with ARU at SCI and the outfitter of the Croc hunt too.
Those folks should know that what they see is not what happened. FACT. Too many armchair quarterbacks on this one. I am certain if I had unloaded on that elephant at point blank range I would have been vilified just the same and standing back and waiting a minute.

First of all the elephant was for the village and matters not what kind of elephant it was. There was some kind of festival and had to have meat within a few days. The best is an old broken tusk animal second choice is a young bull kinda like a Texas spike buck. So that was the best choice at that time. The rest of what you are worried about is all movie magic. That elephant made one small sound and died! It did NOT make all that sad drawn out noise and it did not take but a minute. This is in my estimation the only part of the film that was manipulated. So please do not pass judgement on the PH who is one of THE best I know of.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Philip

I was not attacking the PH or judging him I was just looking for some additional details, my apologies if I came across as critical or questioning of him...

As far as the noise that is really unfair to you and the PH that the people making the movie would add in or exaggerate all of those sounds to make it seem like the elephant was taking forever to die. Thanks a lot for taking the time to clarify that...

First of all the elephant was for the village and matters not what kind of elephant it was. There was some kind of festival and had to have meat within a few days. The best is an old broken tusk animal second choice is a young bull kinda like a Texas spike buck. So that was the best choice at that time. The rest of what you are worried about is all movie magic. That elephant made one small sound and died! It did NOT make all that sad drawn out noise and it did not take but a minute. This is in my estimation the only part of the film that was manipulated. So please do not pass judgement on the PH who is one of THE best I know of.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Philip
Can you please answer a question for me? You have stated multiple times that the sound was added, which made you and the PH look bad...even to hunters who support you and the hunt (meat for the villagers). You have also stated this is not an antihunting movie...why would they have added the sound if they were not antihunting?

The Final shot should have been a brain shot, not a chest shot; not that I am an expert of elephant hunting. But I was not there, and can only see what was shown in the film, which was subject to editing. My point was Mr Glass is taking a lot of heat on another board over that shot, he should not be, the PH & the Outfitter ARU should be taking that heat, not Mr. Glass. I know of several folks that are going to address that issue with ARU at SCI and the outfitter of the Croc hunt too.
I'd suggest this isn't as obvious as you say.

The brain shot is a difficult shot at the best of times, and not necessarily one which an inexperienced elephant hunter (as almost all of us would be) should take. (In fact, I know one well known PH who hunts in the Tshlotsho area who won't let his clients take that shot.) I tried for a side brain shot on an elephant and missed at 12 yards, but stunned the elephant enough to get a second shot off. That second shot spined the elephant (another miss from where I was aiming), so he wasn't going anywhere, but the brain shot would have been even harder on an elephant lying on his side with his head at a funny angle. My PH told me to give him another in the heart-lungs, and he died shortly after that shot.

It's by no means a given that a brain shot can successfully - and safely - be taken on a wounded elephant, particularly one which has, or may have, some mobility left. In that case, the higher percentage shot is likely the best.

Docpk
How many DG hunts have you undertaken? Just wondering what your experience is because you will never get a big cat without bait and or dogs. It’s that simple. It would be nice if we could all look at other peoples experiences and have a decent discussion instead of trying to be critical of other people’s hunting methods.
I end the “what’s sporting” debate by saying “if you didn’t kill it while hunting naked with a spear then it’s not sporting”
Regards,
Philip

Philip, I have had people take it a step further and want a "fair fight" which they define as we human have to use our hands, teeth and fingernails and nothing else. I think the real purpose of that argument is that they want the animal to win.

Philip, I have had people take it a step further and want a "fair fight" which they define as we human have to use our hands, teeth and fingernails and nothing else. I think the real purpose of that argument is that they want the animal to win.
Amusing. I’m not terribly proud of this, but I once left my rifle leaning against a tree overnight in Zimbabwe. I became aware of it once we got back to camp. We picked it up in the morning. All night, and not one animal thought to grab it and even the odds? I don’t think humans are required to check their brains at the door. If we had been, those people who made the suggestion wouldn’t be here to make it (and you wouldn’t here to hear it, but that’s not the point!).

I suggest to people like this that the next time they run into a criminal, they insist on even weapons. Fair is fair.

Docpk
How many DG hunts have you undertaken? Just wondering what your experience is because you will never get a big cat without bait and or dogs. It’s that simple. It would be nice if we could all look at other peoples experiences and have a decent discussion instead of trying to be critical of other people’s hunting methods.
I end the “what’s sporting” debate by saying “if you didn’t kill it while hunting naked with a spear then it’s not sporting”
Regards,
Philip

Philip
You chose to hunt like you do I choose to hunt as I do. My hunting experience is spot and stalk. Dangerous game experience is brown bear - spot and stalk. I choose not to hunt big cats because I have no desire to shoot a lion or a leopard. Do I consider it sporting or 'dangerous' to hide in a blind and shoot a lion or leopard over bait or one that has been treed by dogs - NO. That is why I would not do it. My choice, my ethics. Enough said.

Philip
You chose to hunt like you do I choose to hunt as I do. My hunting experience is spot and stalk. Dangerous game experience is brown bear - spot and stalk. I choose not to hunt big cats because I have no desire to shoot a lion or a leopard. Do I consider it sporting or 'dangerous' to hide in a blind and shoot a lion or leopard over bait or one that has been treed by dogs - NO. That is why I would not do it. My choice, my ethics. Enough said.
I fully agree that it is an individual's personal choice on how they hunt (which ties directly to their own personal ethics). I do not agree when you attempt to call others out on their choices and ethics. This is exactly the same mentality as anit-hunting folks - they are upset that they cannot force their ethics onto others.

I fully agree that it is an individual's personal choice on how they hunt (which ties directly to their own personal ethics). I do not agree when you attempt to call others out on their choices and ethics. This is exactly the same mentality as anit-hunting folks - they are upset that they cannot force their ethics onto others.

My post was in response to Phil's stating I wouldn't be able to hunt big cats. I stated I had no desire to hunt big cats and the reason why. Not forcing my ethics on anyone. Simply responding to a post. This horse has been beaten.

Philip
Spot on. I am particularly aggravated when someone has zero experience in the respective region or with the respective animal in that region, but has it all figured out with how they should be ethically hunted. As I remember, you had strong opinions ab0ut how deer should be hunted in Texas. This is exactly the same logic as allowing ignorant urbanites in LA, San Francisco, and Vancouver determine the management of mountain lions and grizzly bears. And I use the term "ignorant" advisedly. I am largely ignorant about hunting Argali sheep. It would be irresponsible of me to offer an ethical opinion whether those herds should be approached on horseback, by vehicle, or on foot - at least until I had some experience in the region. Flying in to hunt a New Zealand Tahr is another technique which seems, on the surface, questionable. But again, I am ignorant of the actual conditions on the ground.

I simply would try to be a bit less judgmental until you have broadened that experience base just a bit.

, but the brain shot would have been even harder on an elephant lying on his side with his head at a funny angle. My PH told me to give him another in the heart-lungs, and he died shortly after that shot.

It's by no means a given that a brain shot can successfully - and safely - be taken on a wounded elephant, particularly one which has, or may have, some mobility left. In that case, the higher percentage shot is likely the best.

With an elephant laying on his side, I have successfully missed the brain from one foot away, looking at the top of the elephants head. How could I do that....... but I did. Embarrassing to mention. Yes! Not really sure why I am sharing it now other than confirm your statement.

Second shot hit the target.

How the heck did the antis get to Zimbabwe and locate you? Must have been directors tweeting their hashtag coordinates

Do I consider it sporting or 'dangerous' to hide in a blind and shoot a lion or leopard over bait or one that has been treed by dogs - NO.

Here is a picture of Philip's "non-dangerous" leopard that he hunted with dogs.

Picture says more in rebuttal to your statement than I can.

full-8.jpg

Here is a picture of Philip's "non-dangerous" leopard that he hunted with dogs.

Picture says more in rebuttal to your statement than I can.

View attachment 215375
At one time in my area of Kansas we could shoot 4 turkeys in the fall season. Maybe not as sporting as in the spring but they sure tast better. Once I got four in two shots.

Easy Guys!

This year on our football team we had the luxury of having one group of players that were offensive linemen and a separate group for the defensive line. For our small school that is a luxury. We would line the two groups up against each other and it was a war. Each side going for the win. There was some smack talking. It got so fierce at practice that we had to stop working #1 offensive line against the #1 defensive line. We were tearing each other up. We needed each other for Friday Night. Yes there was one game we couldn't stop the other team and it took a last minute 96 yard drive to win the game. Then there was the American high school football game we won 5-3.

Despite our preferences for hunting we need all of us for game day.

What’s the sport in that? Different ethics in Texas.

Just because it is legal does not make it ethical

If you don’t want my opinion get off the big screen. Moron.

When hunting is made to look like shooting fish in a barrel with baiting
@Docpk these are the type of statements I was referring to. We all understand you do not approve of shooting over bait. That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But when you continually imply that folks who do hunt over bait are unethical in a condescending tone, that is what I am considering you pushing your ethics on others.

Ran bear with hounds for a number of years nothing like it!! Bet running that cat was a blast.

There is nothing like running game with hounds. And it sure is not easy and it is plenty sporting. Here is an old tom my pack caught last Saturday in Idaho. Was an all day trail and hiked for about 12 miles (about an average day) and it took 5 hours in the dark to get from the tree back to the truck on this highly "unethical" hunt. :rolleyes:I cannot imagine the action in a leopard hunt with hounds. I dream of that hunt and bringing one from my pack to join the fun.

20180120_154004.jpg
20180120_152247.jpg
Screenshot_20180121-134055.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg