Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
My shoulder mounts from the May safari should be here in the St. Louis area within a month. Would it be ok to keep them in the shipping crate for a couple of more months, stored in my garage? Temperatures would range from 20-40 degree F*. After that I would ship them on to the West coast in the spring. Any problems with that? What say you? Thanks...

They should be just fine. I couldn't let them sit that long though! It would be like having a huge present waiting and not opening it!

I shot a moose in Idaho in October 2001. Shortly after that I moved to Arizona. Taxidermist finished his work in January and my head sat in a friends garage until June. It was fine and still is, so I wouldn't expect a problem.

The only issue i see is getting your crated mounts off the cement floor. All it takes is a 2 X 4 air flow to keep moisture away from your mount. Usually put a sock with moth balls in it inside and make sure there are no holes for rodents.

Spiders and mice can cause you some problems...

James is right about rodents in the garage. They seem to get in all the time to my garage. I'd get the 4 biggest glue traps I could find and put a brick in the middle of each and put them under each corner of the crate, so that any mouse trying to make a home in my zebra mount would have to cross a moat of glue trap before climbing aboard.

I'd probably get some permethrin spray and spray the outside of the crate to attenuate any insects that might try to do mischief.

Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross