Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
G'day all from South Australia,

I thought I'd share a few progress pics of my trophy room project that has been a long time coming. I previously had a small room lined in the end of my taxidermy workshop, but I'd well and truly outgrown it. So plans were made for a larger showroom.

My new room will be 9.5x6 metres, with the high back wall being 3.6m.

Here's the first earth turned...
20210418_124703.jpg
IMG_2781.jpg

It then sat for several months. Building materials are getting very difficult to obtain here during the covid building boom. But timber frames came next.

We removed the end wall and partially demolished my old room, to tie the two together.

20210904_155049.jpg
20211014_182554.jpg
20211203_154855.jpg

Looks like it is going well so far! Can't wait to continue to see the progress on it!

The project looks good. It must be nice to have the available land to add a new building. Look forward to seeing the end result, especially the interior.

Looking good. It is so interesting to see the building method used in different areas/ countries.
I actually did not want to mention this out of a risk of sounding snobbish, and to the OP, @blacks do not take this as criticism, but whenever I see these small structures being erected out of a wood frame and sheet metal, I am amazed with how different it would be here in Belgium.

Now here we do have a saying, "the Flemish are born with a brick in their stomach", meaning we want to build a house, be owners, etc. But it also means that we always build with brick. I could not imagine ever building a house, or even a barn out of a wooden frame. My grandmother has a few barns on her farm, they are all built from a steel frame with concrete panels. For a house we would use a double layer of bricks, with an airspace/insulation in between. It might take a little bit longer to build this way (definitely much more expensive too) but I find it is more long lasting to build this way.

Anyway, I agree with @Rickmt it is very interesting to see how construction happens in other places in the world. And indeed @blacks, this will make a fine trophy room, despite it not being made of bricks :D

I actually did not want to mention this out of a risk of sounding snobbish, and to the OP, @blacks do not take this as criticism, but whenever I see these small structures being erected out of a wood frame and sheet metal, I am amazed with how different it would be here in Belgium.

Now here we do have a saying, "the Flemish are born with a brick in their stomach", meaning we want to build a house, be owners, etc. But it also means that we always build with brick. I could not imagine ever building a house, or even a barn out of a wooden frame. My grandmother has a few barns on her farm, they are all built from a steel frame with concrete panels. For a house we would use a double layer of bricks, with an airspace/insulation in between. It might take a little bit longer to build this way (definitely much more expensive too) but I find it is more long lasting to build this way.

Anyway, I agree with @Rickmt it is very interesting to see how construction happens in other places in the world. And indeed @blacks, this will make a fine trophy room, despite it not being made of bricks :D

A large majority of our houses in Australia are timber framed. I live in a timber producing town and work in the industry. Our most common construction style would be timber framed, plasterboard (drywall) inner lining, brick outer, steel roof. It suits our climate and soil types.

Although in some of our northern tropical areas, all-timber houses are commonplace. And some areas still see double brick/tile roof construction.

For a shed like mine, galvanised steel frame is the norm. But for lining out and insulating, the timber frames are so much easier.

Cheers
Tim

Looking good. Will be fun to ride along and see the finished product and mounts hung.

Looks Great ! Can't wait to see it completed with some animals hanging.

Thank you for such an informative post, very interesting.
And it is very unlike our situation when a foundation deeper than the freezing limit is needed under the house, in our region it is 110 cm. Otherwise, in winter, the ground "walks", for example, now I have two gate posts shifted 10 cm vertically relative to each other. This is how Eastern Europe differs from Western Europe, where the situation is apparently similar to Australia.

Thank you for such an informative post, very interesting.
And it is very unlike our situation when a foundation deeper than the freezing limit is needed under the house, in our region it is 110 cm. Otherwise, in winter, the ground "walks", for example, now I have two gate posts shifted 10 cm vertically relative to each other. This is how Eastern Europe differs from Western Europe, where the situation is apparently similar to Australia.

Yes that would create quite a different set of circumstances. We are fortunate enough to have a more friendly climate, it ranges from 0 to 42 degrees Celsius here. My room will have split system reverse cycle air-conditioning as a result!

Oh, heating is a separate topic, very exciting. At subzero temperatures, which is 5 months, electric heating is too expensive, even with our low electricity prices (3-10 cents per kilowatt/hour). You need a boiler on natural gas or solid fuel, or even an ordinary wood-burning stove. And if the temperature is above zero, then, of course, a split system is an ideal solution.

I am guessing your building codes are far different than ours here in Canada. We have "inspections" for all parts of our builds, wish it was more like yours. Cost me $5K just for permits and my 18" to "proper footing ground" turned into a 50" deep hole that had to be filled and compacted with pit run, plus another $6K. No insulated perimeter pony walls 16" above ground level? Wish we could build without local Gov stealing.

Cant wait to see some inside with memories up pics.

Good job.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois