Trophy room lighting

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
hey guys gettin ready to wire yup the room got cathedral ceilings and 9' walls really would like to see some pics of you alls lighting and weather or not its enough of wish you had more... the room is 22'x21' if that helps. As a guess i have 10 recessed LED lights planned evenly spaced out but starting to think(or over think) if ill need more please help!

hey guys gettin ready to wire yup the room got cathedral ceilings and 9' walls really would like to see some pics of you alls lighting and weather or not its enough of wish you had more... the room is 22'x21' if that helps. As a guess i have 10 recessed LED lights planned evenly spaced out but starting to think(or over think) if ill need more please help!

I would suggest that the you include directional recessed lighting fixtures. That way you can aim the lights as you see fit!

I A I'm working on my room as well. I have read some places where folks recommend lights below the animals shining up. Ever heard of this?

You might have a set of lights set that will spot your trophies on one switch and another switch that just lights the room. That way you could have the room dim but main locations spotted where your trophies are.

I would suggest the you "wash the walls" with LED lighting and them have some LED spots.

I A I'm working on my room as well. I have read some places where folks recommend lights below the animals shining up. Ever heard of this?

Simple answer is no I have not heard that one before.

Yes, I have heard of this and actually incorporating it into my trophy room, currently under construction. Having lighting from multiple angles eliminates shadows around the trophies.

There is a seminar every year at SCI on building a trophy room. They do talk about lighting along with everything else. I remember them talking about perimeter lighting that shines down the walls. Sounds like a great idea. You must light the room (ie the recessed lights) and then light the features/mounts. Now with led track lighting has so many possibilities. I was just on a scissorlift rearranging and putting up Giraffe etc and I also repointed my non-led track lights. The are fun to play with but if I had more and they were cool leds I’d be happier. Maybe a project for 2018!
Philip

I have track lighting with low voltage heads I think the 12 volt 50 watt halogen bulbs give the most natural light

Led lights can be purchased here in the states in almost any shading (Kelvin) that you want from 2500 to 5000. look at a display with different shades to determine the color you need. I like the front/low lighting but I can't see how you can do it without your body casting a shadow on the mount. Whatever you end up doing, make sure the lighting is flexible or moveable because your mounts will need to be moved as your collection grows. I prefer the basic room lighting with led track lights that can be repositioned. Good Luck!

This is very interesting. Please post pics of lighting in trophy rooms.

Will be doing a 27x28 room this spring. My plan is to do recessed LED floods in "daylight" 2' from the walls every 4' around perimeter. Then add adjustable LED spots. All on dimmers.

Only other lighting will be lamps and LED drop lights over 14' dining table for all the grand kids. I will post pics when done.

Does 2' from walls on ceiling sound about right for track lighting shining down? Not sure how far a typical mount comes off wall but i feel hey are at 2' for smaller animals but 3' cold easily be had on a kudu or sable. Insite guys! Wiring up these week!

Will be doing a 27x28 room this spring. My plan is to do recessed LED floods in "daylight" 2' from the walls every 4' around perimeter. Then add adjustable LED spots. All on dimmers.

Only other lighting will be lamps and LED drop lights over 14' dining table for all the grand kids. I will post pics when done.

Does 2' from walls on ceiling sound about right for track lighting shining down? Not sure how far a typical mount comes off wall but i feel hey are at 2' for smaller animals but 3' cold easily be had on a kudu or sable. Insite guys! Wiring up these week!

Hi

Here are a couple photos of my Trophy room
and I would say Two Feet is to close. One set of two photos is of a Whitetail and a Caribou. Two spots at about 36 inches.

AF8987C7-EC5A-4CB9-BD8F-EE22E0D5C8D9.jpeg
CC3F5B87-8FEC-4CC5-B85F-90CDDB8A8E8C.jpeg

Next is a Nyala and a Kudu again two spots about 44-46 inches. Both are 4” directional spots.

745D8139-DD92-44BF-8227-1D6215D06EBC.jpeg
5D7914A0-9409-4D81-8AA8-7680F3958FA4.jpeg

My room is in the basement so the roof is only about 7.5’. That means a higher roof would be out from the wall more.
I was a Geometry teacher for about 38 years so the math is kind of important:)

X=5. That is the Geometry that Carpenters use to square up walls:)

This room is 27x30 with 14’ sidewalls. We did 7 led cans on each vault and a chandelier in the center. All on dimmers and independent. Ends up being a lot of light when all on at full power. Just ideas.

B69D2036-30E7-4098-BCB8-87466C60C029.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
“Three lighting elements come into play in a trophy room: 1) Perimeter lighting should, like the name implies, surround the entire room for overall wall wash. It diffuses shadows and helps 2) accent lighting accentuate the wall mounts, while 3) general lighting helps light the center of the room.”

Exceprt from an article in Sporting Classics Daily. Tom Julian discussed design of a trophy room:

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/designing-your-own-trophy-room/

If you’ve been to a seminar of his I’m sure you’ve heard this. I haven’t had an opportunity to attend one.

Attachments

• Screenshot (163).png
    Screenshot (163).png
    890.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Screenshot (164).png
    Screenshot (164).png
    428.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Screenshot (165).png
    Screenshot (165).png
    459.8 KB · Views: 360
  • Screenshot (166).png
    Screenshot (166).png
    150.9 KB · Views: 341
  • Screenshot (167).png
    Screenshot (167).png
    144.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Screenshot (168).png
    Screenshot (168).png
    137.7 KB · Views: 405
  • Screenshot (169).png
    Screenshot (169).png
    429.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross