Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
P&y, nwtf
I am in the process of finishing my trophy room. It is 48 x 30. It has 12 foot sidewalks with a cathedral ceiling. At the highest point it is 16 feet.

Currently I have general lighting that will be recessed cans spaced evenly throughout the room. I also have cans set 3 feet from the wall 3 feet on center that will wash the wall. I also have monopoint light fixtures for highlights. Overall I have around 100 total fixtures.

My question involves what type of led lights should I get. I was thinking
General lighting - soft warm about 3000
Wall wash the same
Spot lights bright white

I do not have any experience with leds but know that I want to go with them for this room. I am wondering what any of you have used in terms of the led color spectrum for your trophy rooms. Thanks Chuck

IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG
T My man cave is not in the same category but this might help you. Here I a photo of my European mounts. I put some LED spots on equal distance from center so the the shadows would look good. Also some LED spots again lighting some shoulder mounts.
What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look great. I really like the euro mounts lighting.

The kudu and Nyala look great as well those are some nice trophies.

Do you remember what style led you used?

I suggest you go just a bit more to the whiter end of the spectrum, closer to the 3500 to 4000 range. A lot depends on the paint color of your walls, etc. Buy a couple bulbs in each color and experiment, see what shows the trophys best. Congrats on the trophy room!

That color will "soak up " a lot of light. Use the daylight colors, but don't get into the pure whites. They will look blue. By the way, congrats on the 12ft "sidewalks" hahaha.

That color will "soak up " a lot of light. Use the daylight colors, but don't get into the pure whites. They will look blue. By the way, congrats on the 12ft "sidewalks" hahaha.
Lol. You should see some of my other typos

IMG_5715.JPG
IMG_5716.JPG
Fire652

Hi
Was making supper so kind of fell out of order.

The spots that I am using are 3-4 inch cans.
We have a room that is using day light led but not sure if you want them to be that bright.
My man cave has 14 can lights and I think when they are all on the wattage is around 120 watts.
The light I am using look like this .

Fire652: Congrats on the awesome sounding trophy room. I too have been planning a man cave room and will likely start building my retirement house later this year. While not as large as yours, I'm looking at a good size room of 20x30 with 17 to 20 ft high ceilings. I know your question was about lighting, but let me make a comment on your wall color: I think it is too dark a shade and you may not like the result.

There is a custom trophy room design/build outfit called Julian & Sons, based in Arkansas. They advertise in all the safari and hunting magazines and they had a booth at the DSC. This is a link to an article where they give some tips on trophy room design.
http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2015/01/29/photos-how-to-design-trophy-room/

If you look at the 5th photo in the article, you can see a wall that has wood from the floor to about 8 ft and then sheet rock with a light color from 8 ft to the ceiling. This is the style I'm using. In the article, it states that the animal mounts blend in too much with a darker color and you are really wanting them to standout. As the article suggests, go with a lighter color wall.

Last edited:
Wow @Fire652 ! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Looking good @Fire652 ! I hope you will continue to share photos wit us of the continued work. Is this an addition to your home or an out building?
I ask because my wife says I need to build a trophy room.

Congrats! Like the framing pics, am a builder myself. Love the supervisor! Agree that you may want a lighter shade of paint. Also, I didn't see windows in the pictures, but if you have any make sure they are low-e glazed not just for efficiency but also no fading of your trophies. My trophy room under construction.
DSC00902.JPG

Last edited:
I have a few windows and put in a large double french door. They all will have 3m uv film put on. The large door is to make it easier to get trophies into the room

Looking good @Fire652 ! I hope you will continue to share photos wit us of the continued work. Is this an addition to your home or an out building?
I ask because my wife says I need to build a trophy room.
I built it as an addition. I built a breezeway between the home and addition. I built plenty of storage as well.

IMG_3368.JPG
IMG_3371.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire652: I'm curious about how you are going to do the interior side of the walls. Are you going to put 3/4" plywood and then sheetrock. That what most experts recommend and how my architect drew up my plans. It allows for placing a trophy anywhere, not limiting you to where a stud is. I really debated this issue, as the cost is significant.

I ended up taking all the scraps from the construction. I am putting 2x6 blocking. I have enough scraps since I went 12 foot high ( original plan was 16' but after we got the wood I found out my building would have needed a permit where as with 12 foot walls it brought the total height beneath the requirement an as such no permits or inspection needed) to be able to fill the spaces instead of having to pay for 3/4" plywood

This is an amazing project sir! Thank you for sharing!

@K-man is yours what is referred to as a post and beam structure! Shape looks like a small barn which I have thought about a lot over the years as a great man cave type structure.

This is an amazing project sir! Thank you for sharing!

@K-man is yours what is referred to as a post and beam structure! Shape looks like a small barn which I have thought about a lot over the years as a great man cave type structure.
Yes it is post and beam. It was assembled without nails or screws, just pegs and wedges (on the main frame)
the interior is all tongue and groove 1x6 cedar. I ordered the barn kit from a sawmill in Maine, 8x8 hemlock. Will post finished pics later today, or p.m. me. Don't want to derail his thread,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg