Trophy Room build Question - Wall backing

Chago

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hey guys, I am currently building a new home and of course I have allocated some space for my trophy room. The rough ins are all going in right now and insulation is supposed to begin on Monday. Unfortunately the wife was not going to approve an additional 600sqft to the home, but since we are building a bungalow I have a huge basement where we have agreed I can steal 600sqft for my office/trophy room and another 100sqft for my gun locker room. So needless to say I am pumped, and I will add some pictures later in the build when I have more to show.

My question though is in regards to backing, I know it makes complete sense to install plywood then drywall so that you can screw anywhere for the mounts. Well I am not doing drywall. For those of you who haven't seen my old basement here is the link https://www.africahunting.com/threads/my-trophy-room.54697/. I plan on using this same wood but in the entire room. This barnboard is 1x8 so it is quite sturdy. I do plan on mounting vertically again so I was thinking would plywood behind this be extreme overkill?

I plan on strapping the entire room horizontally (with screws) then mounting the boards vertically using wood glue and a brad nailer. I realize the brad nails are not holding a ton but they do hold especially until the glue dries. Being that it is a vertical installation there could never be two heads putting weight onto the one board. Do any of you foresee any issues with this? I realize the 1" board is thicker and stronger then 3/4' ply behind the drywall. I am more concerned of the 1" board leaving the strapping all together for some of the heavier animals like my Elk, Red Stag, Kudu etc.

I put 3/4" plywood behind my 5/8" drywall. I would say it would be hard to go back and do it if you needed to so better to just put the plywood in before your boards just incase.

When you put up the strapping you could us 2x8 around the room at an appropriate height to glue to and then you would know where they are for some of your large mounts.
I had a plan for my Trophy Room and put 2 by 10 between the studs in the places where the big mounts were going. That worked out great.
I also have 600 sq feet in the basement for my trophy room.
Also got a new big TV. Here is a photo of one side.
3EF776D2-500D-4E9E-AC18-33F252252281.jpeg

When you put up the strapping you could us 2x8 around the room at an appropriate height to glue to and then you would know where they are for some of your large mounts.
I had a plan for my Trophy Room and put 2 by 10 between the studs in the places where the big mounts were going. That worked out great.
I also have 600 sq feet in the basement for my trophy room.
Also got a new big TV. Here is a photo of one side.
View attachment 387717
That looks awesome..... now I want to go back to drywall lol. I think the wood looked amazing against the trophy in my last room that is why I wanted to do the entire room in it. Keep going back and forth. I love t he rustic look, but at the same time I do really like your more simple walls, but then using bar, furniture etc to make it rustic. I keep yelling at my wife for taking so long to pick tiles and counter tops. Yet here I am changing my mind on trophy room walls literally by the hour.

I put my office on the other side of the room. I made the desk and mounted it on the wall so it could float with the walls, last November I made a poker table for when we can get back to getting together.
52E84DC4-185B-4D69-B5CB-C05C3D041851.jpeg

B55D546B-23BA-499E-A9BF-A19E77454382.jpeg

You're only going to have to build it once, you may want a buffalo shoulder mount where there is no 2x10 between studs... I say plywood the whole thing! Here is mine after wall insulation and plywood before ceiling insulation and drywall.

TR.jpg

You're only going to have to build it once, you may want a buffalo shoulder mount where there is no 2x10 between studs... I say plywood the whole thing! Here is mine after wall insulation and plywood before ceiling insulation and drywall.

View attachment 387723
so you used OSB and have not had any issues with it splitting behind the drywall? Is its 1/2 or 3/4 do you remember?

Test your theory.
Think of the largest trophy you might mount on the wall.
eg. Buffalo Shoulder Mount. Put a similar baring weight on the end of a pry bar 40-48 inches from the wall and see if your brad nails and glue stand up to the test.

Being the paranoid sort, I'd go for plywood underneath.

As a home builder of over 25 years the first question you must answer is what look do you want for the walls? A smooth painted drywall look will bounce more light and you can use decoration to make it rustic, or do you want the rustic look built in to the walls? If you want the drywall look, you could certainly back the walls with osb or plywood. (Caution - osb that was $8 a sheet last May is now $25 a sheet) No strength difference between osb and plywood - pick what you want. If you are going the rustic look you can use glue but I suggest using a finish nail 2" or 2 1/2 " through the tongue at an angle. No nail holes to fill and it will be stronger. I have never seen a taxidermy mount that weighed more than 60 lbs. A simple screw-in drywall fastener is rated at 70 lbs, so back the walls if you want but I have a 6x6 elk mount on my wall 12 years with a single screw-in drywall mount.
My trophy room is 3/4 inch cedar tongue and groove boards, I didn't want the drywall look.
Good luck with what you decide, and show us the results!

how much more is it going to cost to put up plywood under the boards? How long will you be in the house? You may well not need it but if you are anything like me you'll feel a lot better knowing you've got the plywood under there and that you won't have to worry about it ever
again.

Speaking as a long time contractor: Use 5/8 or 3/4 OSB screwed to the studs with 1/2 or 5/8 drywall over. It will be cheaper than solid wood and be more stable with climate changes. Gives you a much wider variety of finish colors. It will be plenty strong but if you want extra insurance put 2xs between the studs at appropriate height(s).

A lot of great ideas above. All my mounts are secured into 3/4” panel. With just glue supporting the barn wood, I would certainly worry about the heavier mounts. I am sure with some of the new super adhesives, it might be fine. However, over time, I would worry that age and physics might take a toll and you hear something beloved go crash in the night. I would even feel better knowing knowing all the barn would was toenailed into the wall studs. Belt and suspenders. Can’t wait to see your room.

I am almost done on my 700 ft addition. 2x6 construction 16" OC and I used a ton of blocking, 2x6 and 2x10 blocks between the studs where I believe things will hang. Then 5/8" OSB and finished with 1/2" drywall. I do expect things to hold up, put lots of planning in this, eland will be on one end, massive B&C moose on other, these coincidently will go into the 7- 2x6s that support the center ridge LVL. Plan this to be last house.

I am no builder, I would say your 1" barn boards would hold better than OSB or Ply, could you not block between studs behind, in areas that will, may support a large mount?

My 2c.

MB

thumbnail_image1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 22’ walls on 16” centers. On one wall, I did 2”x 6” blocking in several rows and made a diagram so I wouldn’t forget. On the other walls I got smart and did 3/4” plywood under the sheetrock and that was way easier! It will hold anything.

In all rooms, I blocked around all the windows for hanging drapes or blinds. I also put blocking in all walls at the appropriate height to hang all my wildlife prints and paintings so I didn’t have to look for studs.

Thanks guys. I think your all right about the drywall vs wood boards. The question was more about if I use wood boards would I really need the plywood in addition. But some of you made good points about the benefits of drywall. And to be honest I'm gonna go that route instead. I can always had accent wood panel walls later purely decoratively.

So I am going to go with plywood then drywall. And then play with some paneling later after I start mounting trophies.

Thanks guys.

Here is the progress so far. Framing is done, 9' ceilings. Except where the duct work is. We laid a subfloor which is great for any potential leaks it will make sure my floors don't all need to be torn out. But it's especially good for winter up here in Canada. Makes the floor much warmer.

IMG_5445.jpg
IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5446.jpg
IMG_5447.jpg

I use nothing but the existing studs . Use a stud finder to determine 2 outer edges of stud and use strong large headed screw at downward angle and you are done. You are limited in placement by wall stud locations but my home has lots of taxidermy and looks great

Must be a Colorado thing new construction in basement have all the walls floating to make possible floor movements ok.
DF966D8F-D54D-48C1-A635-E8B6C3747256.jpeg
27D22F76-3C07-4CC2-B8C8-0B5E6EF43571.jpeg

Must be a Colorado thing new construction in basement have all the walls floating to make possible floor movements ok.
View attachment 387853View attachment 387854
That is interesting. Are your slabs floating? Here because we have a 4' deep frost line. We have to have footings below the frost line. So our slabs don't move. But Colorado is fairly cold too so I would imagine you're would be similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you