Trophy Hunting Aids In The Conservation Of Lions

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
lon801-729_2015_173157_high1.jpg

More than a year after public outrage over the illegal hunting of Cecil the Lion, a study has emerged claiming trophy hunting is beneficial to the conservation of lions in Tanzania.

In what could be a controversial study, the researchers from the University of Kent’s Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE) in the United Kingdom, concluded that specific hunting of lions can aid not only in the conservation of the species, but also aid in the conservation of land.

The researchers specifically studied lion trends in Tanzania’s Selous Game Reserve, where the grounds are divided into blocks with different tourism companies holding various hunting rights.

Hunting in the park operates on both long-term (10 years or longer) and short-term allocations of hunting areas to companies.

About 35 per cent of Tanzania’s land is protected. However, on that land — except parts that are designated a National Park as well as the Ngorongoro Conservation Area — trophy hunting is allowed. This accounts for some 305,000 square kilometres or 86 per cent of protected land.

What they found was blocks with short-term allocations were detrimental to lions, as the kings of the jungle were over-hunted. However, the long term allocation areas were found to be sustainable.

The reason for the contrast, the researchers concluded, was that companies with long-term allocations managed them better due to long-term outlook.

While trophy hunting may be distasteful for some people, this isn’t the first time it’s been claimed that such practices can aid in conservation: some have cited the need for trophy hunting to help fund conservation efforts.

In a National Geographic opinion piece, Melissa Simpson, director of the Safari Club International Foundation wrote,“As with the regulated hunters in the United States, the regulated hunters in Africa make a vital contribution to conservation efforts, primarily through the revenues their hunting expeditions generate for local communities and wildlife resource agencies.”

Another argument for trophy hunting is that the practice helps conserve natural land that might otherwise be used for agricultural means.

Source: Global News

View attachment 172296

More than a year after public outrage over the illegal hunting of Cecil the Lion, a study has emerged claiming trophy hunting is beneficial to the conservation of lions in Tanzania.

In what could be a controversial study, the researchers from the University of Kent’s Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE) in the United Kingdom, concluded that specific hunting of lions can aid not only in the conservation of the species, but also aid in the conservation of land.

The researchers specifically studied lion trends in Tanzania’s Selous Game Reserve, where the grounds are divided into blocks with different tourism companies holding various hunting rights.

Hunting in the park operates on both long-term (10 years or longer) and short-term allocations of hunting areas to companies.

About 35 per cent of Tanzania’s land is protected. However, on that land — except parts that are designated a National Park as well as the Ngorongoro Conservation Area — trophy hunting is allowed. This accounts for some 305,000 square kilometres or 86 per cent of protected land.

What they found was blocks with short-term allocations were detrimental to lions, as the kings of the jungle were over-hunted. However, the long term allocation areas were found to be sustainable.

The reason for the contrast, the researchers concluded, was that companies with long-term allocations managed them better due to long-term outlook.

While trophy hunting may be distasteful for some people, this isn’t the first time it’s been claimed that such practices can aid in conservation: some have cited the need for trophy hunting to help fund conservation efforts.

In a National Geographic opinion piece, Melissa Simpson, director of the Safari Club International Foundation wrote,“As with the regulated hunters in the United States, the regulated hunters in Africa make a vital contribution to conservation efforts, primarily through the revenues their hunting expeditions generate for local communities and wildlife resource agencies.”

Another argument for trophy hunting is that the practice helps conserve natural land that might otherwise be used for agricultural means.

Source: Global News
He was Simon...The PH was the criminal in that situation . Shame how the liberal press here in the states wont report that, but they were ready to hang him on his "illegal " hunt. Such double standards in my country right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression "cecil" was legally hunted..

It was totally legal and proven in court to be. We must get the facts straight here. You'll never convince a publication dubbed "Global News" to admit , at this point, it was legal. It's a miracle they are now admitting these positive studies exist on trophy hunting. I Am surprised they didn't interview one of the idiot animal welfare people to refute the scientific study. That is what they normally do.
Good news all around here!
Philip

@K-man ,I was just surprised at the illegal part....

He was Simon...The PH was the criminal in that situation . Shame how the liberal press here in the states wont report that, but they were ready to hang him on his "illegal " hunt. Such double standards in my country right now.
I thought the PH was also found to be legal and innocent and that the court case was thrown out in Zimbabwe?

I thought the PH was also found to be legal and innocent and that the court case was thrown out in Zimbabwe?

My recollection is that no one was convicted of anything illegal in this matter.

No need, I just said I had no news of a conviction.
Last news was he was in the high court attempting to have the case "quashed"
November 2015. I can find no more recent news.

Bronkhorst trial.jpg

Some other news I found.
brokhorst sable case.jpg

I hope the positive side of hunting can finally start to make the news and not just the word "CECIL".

Charges were dropped in November 16.

Funny how much harder the actual dismissal was to find than any of the false information.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/11/wildlife-watch-cecil-lion-hunter-charges-dropped/

By Rachael Bale
PUBLISHED November 11, 2016

A court in Zimbabwe has thrown out charges against the professional hunter who helped Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer hunt Cecil the lion last year.

The court ruled that the charges against Theo Bronkhorst "were too vague to enable him to mount a proper defence,” BBC News reported. He had been charged with failing to stop an illegal hunt.

Palmer reportedly paid $54,000 to bow-hunt Cecil, a beloved, black-maned lion living in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park. On July 1, 2015, Palmer shot Cecil with a bow on a farm outside the park, where the lion occasionally went to explore. Palmer’s team, which included Bronkhorst, tracked Cecil for another 11 hours before killing him.

01-cecil-lion-theo-bronkhorst.ngsversion.1478885404487.adapt.590.1.jpg

View Images
Professional hunter Theo Bronkhorst, right, accompanies his lawyer to court last year after being charged with allowing an illegal hunt. The professional hunter is tasked with ensuring the hunt is conducted legally.

Photograph by Zinyange Auntony, AFP, Getty Images
Bronkhorst’s role as a professional hunter, often referred to as a “PH,” included arranging the trip, getting permits and licenses, seeing to the needs of the client, and conducting the hunt. It is the professional hunter’s job to make sure the hunt is conducted legally.

Park officials initially said that Bronkhorst and Honest Ndlovu, the owner of the farm where Cecil was shot, did not have a permit or quota to kill the lion. Ndlovu also faced charges of allowing an illegal hunt to occur on his property. He posted bail last August, but the status of his case remains unclear.

Palmer never ended up facing any charges. After Cecil was killed, Zimbabwe initially pressed to extradite him, calling him a “foreign poacher.” But within three months of the hunt, the government declined to file a formal extradition petition and said the documentation for the hunt was proper.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.12.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.12.48 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 189
  • 01-cecil-lion-theo-bronkhorst.ngsversion.1478885404487.adapt.590.1.jpg
    01-cecil-lion-theo-bronkhorst.ngsversion.1478885404487.adapt.590.1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 158

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg