Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation
Hunted
USA, South Africa
This is might be a pretty basic question, but I'm trying to figure out exactly what it means when a safari company specifies that trophy fees are not included, or that they are.

For example, when I look at an outfitter's website and underneath their daily rates they specify "trophy fees not included," that seems pretty straightforward. But then there are some which state that trophy fees are included, and still others which do not mention it at all.

Are these trophy fees the same as the individual animal prices that some safari companies list, or is a trophy fee an extra charge for an exceptional trophy which is paid on top of the price listed for the animal?

I realize policies will differ between companies...I'm just trying to get a handle on general terminology. Can someone explain? Thanks!

Dave

I believe what you're seeing is the difference between an a la carte type hunt where you pick an choose your trophies whose fees are added to the daily rates versus package hunts.

So lets say you wanted to hunt 5 days but only hunt for kudu, you'd pay 5 days worth of daily rates plus the trophy fee for the kudu. This would be an a la carte type hunt.

Package hunts are a bundle of animals and the overall cost includes the daily fees.

Like you say, your mileage may vary. But as a general rule trophy fee means the price associated with shooting a particular animal. MOST places don't have an additional charge for an exceptional animal, but some do. It will be called out though.

Are these trophy fees the same as the individual animal prices that some safari companies list, or is a trophy fee an extra charge for an exceptional trophy which is paid on top of the price listed for the animal?

Same fee.

The Trophy Fee is also charged if you just wound the animal.

If trophy fees are included in a package hunt, find out if the animals not taken that are included in the hunting packages will be credited/refunded if not taken and if so will they be credited/refunded based on the regular trophy fee price published or a discounted price.

On a package hunt I would also ask the outfitter for the dollar figure for the part which consist of the daily rates and for the value placed on each animal included.

Thanks for the info, everybody. Still in the planning stages, but I'm bound and determined to go for plains game in either South Africa or Namibia in a couple of years!

Thanks for the info, everybody. Still in the planning stages, but I'm bound and determined to go for plains game in either South Africa or Namibia in a couple of years!

Not sure where you're located, but if you can attend either the Dallas Safari Club of Safari Club Int'l conventions, I highly recommend doing so. The internet is a great tool for learning about the outfitters, but a face to face meeting cannot be beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you