Osama Mahdi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Greetings,

I just brought my Trophies from my August 2021 Safaris South Africa is home, they were deliveredto my taxidermist. As my taxidermist told me that the waiting times to do them will be "years". He had about 350 animals to do before mine.
Tom from @TROPHY SHIPPERS did an amazing job and honored $50 discount for "Hunting Africa" members.
The main point is that my outfitter suggested to do the Zebra skin in SA for more cost effective. And that why it took all that time to ship it to the States.
Finishing the zebra skin cost was $285
In the U.S the taxidermy asked for $2000 do to the skin but also doing the edges, I don't know what is the difference.
The zebra skin looks great.
Now the search for a new taxidermist begins.
20220509_154935.jpg
20220509_160305.jpg
20220509_161004.jpg

I always get dip and pack for mounted trophies, but have any flat skins done in Africa too. The price is much better and they get it done much quicker for same quality, also avoid paying dip and pack fee on a skin you will have tanned anyway.

good to see your animals home. I agree tanning flat stuff in SA is more cost effective, however, part of the difference in quoted prices in US sounds like it would have had the “rugging” with a border edge and backing. It can still added if you want,

good to see your animals home. I agree tanning flat stuff in SA is more cost effective, however, part of the difference in quoted prices in US sounds like it would have had the “rugging” with a border edge and backing. It can still added if you want,
rugging or "felt" as we call it should be no more that $100 in africa anyway

Has anyone had a zebra rug tanned in Namibia and what was the cost? Thanks

I agree but I’ll throw out a BIG BUT…. Although felt is the older, traditional backing, most Zebra rugging in the US is now leather bound edges with a stiffer, similar to automotive carpet as the backing. Also these will typically be sewed and not glued. With dry tanned skins, they are oiled to help prevent cracking over time. By that very nature, the gluing methods are not effective over time and will tend to separate.
While SA should be able to still do these methods cheaper than the US solely on labor rates, I don’t see a lot of these type rugs coming out of there.

Hi Osama! It looks great and we're happy everything is home with you! Thank you for the great review!

If you are looking for a taxidermist in your region try Jim Benson at Sportsman's Taxidermy in East Grand Forks. He does quite a bit of African work!

I had my Hartman zebra tanned there by kings taxidermy. If I remember right with felt was $600 flat fee regardless of size, no felt was cheaper.

I used Nakara tannery out of Windhoek both times I went to Namibia for several hides including half a zebra. Very reasonable prices compared to anywhere else. I contacted my old outfitters and they had the 2020 prices. Converted to US a tanned skin was $120 USD the felt another $83. Even if it's double that now it'a bargain.

Last edited:
Hi Osama! It looks great and we're happy everything is home with you! Thank you for the great review!

If you are looking for a taxidermist in your region try Jim Benson at Sportsman's Taxidermy in East Grand Forks. He does quite a bit of African work!
Hi Tom,
Thanks Man.
Actually I called Benson and I am waiting for his response.

Congratulations on getting your trophies home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg