Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Having lived overseas for the last six years, I've sort of been "homeless" in the US. Almost a year ago, I started construction on my retirement house in Louisiana and it's getting close to being completed. Since I didn't have a place to hang my hat or any taxidermy for that matter, I shipped capes and horns from 3 different hunts to my taxidermist in Montana. Rich Bradberry with Wildlife Artistry in Livingston, MT (http://wildlifeartistrymt.com/) agreed to store all my critters and then mount them when my house construction was about done. The house construction is a bit behind schedule, so the critters arrived and I had to store them in a relatives spare garage for now.

From Zim 2015, Blue Wildebeest, Impala and Waterbuck.

Also from 2015, my daughter's first hunt with me in Namibia, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Mountain Zebra and a Black Wildebeest.

From 2016, our Eastern Cape hunt with @Game 4 Africa Safaris, my daughter and I took 2 Kudu, 2 Nyala, 2 Impala, Blesbok, Zebra and Eland. The Zebra was made into a rug.

All total, 15 shoulder mounts and the Zebra rug.

upload_2018-7-13_18-23-34.png

upload_2018-7-13_18-27-1.png

The trophy room, as well as the entire house, is probably 3 weeks away from getting done. The trophy room is 20 ft X 30 ft with 16 ft plus ceiling. Plenty of room for all this, plus the other North American and African trophies I have.

Here's a few photos of the trophy room. The final paint hasn't gone on yet, so these are just the white primer. Final color will be an off white, with a slight yellow tint. The fireplace mantel is cast stone and about 6 ft tall.

upload_2018-7-13_18-35-31.png

upload_2018-7-13_18-36-52.png

When the construction is complete and the animals start going up on the wall, I'll post a few more photos.

Fabulous fireplace! And tres Francais - French Empire at its best. Love it. I am pretty sure I know where you sourced it. Just a dramatic space.

Fabulous fireplace! And tres Francais - French Empire at its best. Love it. I am pretty sure I know where you sourced it. Just a dramatic space.

American Masonry Supply in Dallas. https://www.ams-cs.com/ Pretty amazing company. The owners took us out on the factory floor and showed us how everything is made.

Yep - great folks. We have been considering something similar in the great room (or whatever we call a “den” these days). Really classic- great choice. Am bitterly envious of all the space and particularly the height. Well done.

Very well thought out Dave! Can’t wait to see the completed room. Love the fireplace!

Cheers,
Cody

A dream space for anyone for sure love the “wall space” and ceiling height.

Did you do 3/4” plywood behind the Sheetrock?

A dream space for anyone for sure love the “wall space” and ceiling height.

Did you do 3/4” plywood behind the Sheetrock?

Yes

Just about ready for hanging. Nice space.
Look forward to the final result.

Exciting stuff, bit the house almost done and the taxidermy in had!! Cant wait to see them hung up!

Man that is a great loooking trophy room!

Can’t wait to see them in hanging lots of memories in that room

Congrats

Ditto on all the above comments. Great planning Dave!

Congrats Dave, both the house and the mounts look great!

AMAZING space!

That's going to be spectacular when finished. Really looking forward to the end results.

Having lived overseas for the last six years, I've sort of been "homeless" in the US. Almost a year ago, I started construction on my retirement house in Louisiana and it's getting close to being completed. Since I didn't have a place to hang my hat or any taxidermy for that matter, I shipped capes and horns from 3 different hunts to my taxidermist in Montana. Rich Bradberry with Wildlife Artistry in Livingston, MT (http://wildlifeartistrymt.com/) agreed to store all my critters and then mount them when my house construction was about done. The house construction is a bit behind schedule, so the critters arrived and I had to store them in a relatives spare garage for now.

From Zim 2015, Blue Wildebeest, Impala and Waterbuck.

Also from 2015, my daughter's first hunt with me in Namibia, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Mountain Zebra and a Black Wildebeest.

From 2016, our Eastern Cape hunt with @Game 4 Africa Safaris, my daughter and I took 2 Kudu, 2 Nyala, 2 Impala, Blesbok, Zebra and Eland. The Zebra was made into a rug.

All total, 15 shoulder mounts and the Zebra rug.

View attachment 238240

View attachment 238244

The trophy room, as well as the entire house, is probably 3 weeks away from getting done. The trophy room is 20 ft X 30 ft with 16 ft plus ceiling. Plenty of room for all this, plus the other North American and African trophies I have.

Here's a few photos of the trophy room. The final paint hasn't gone on yet, so these are just the white primer. Final color will be an off white, with a slight yellow tint. The fireplace mantel is cast stone and about 6 ft tall.

View attachment 238245

View attachment 238246

When the construction is complete and the animals start going up on the wall, I'll post a few more photos.

LOVE the fireplace!!!

I’m green with envy. Did you back the Sheetrock with plywood by chance ?

I’m green with envy. Did you back the Sheetrock with plywood by chance ?

Yes, 3/4" plywood under all the sheetrock.

Will post a few more photos this weekend as we are doing the final walk through with the build and then move in next week. Not sure how long it will take me to get things up on the wall though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg