Triggers

Marc Ret

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm considering a new trigger for my Remington 700 Mtn Rifle (.280) and would appreciate some feedback from those who've swapped out their factory trigger for aftermarket. Numerous choices and not sure which direction to go.

I have Timney on most of my rifles and I do own several 700’s. They are easily adjusted to your preference. I always have a certified gunsmith install them but it looks like a handy person could do it themselves. I have purchased them from Timney direct or midwayusa-when they offer free shipping.
A new trigger is an easy way to improve accuracy on a rifle. I like mine between 2.5 and 3 pounds but that is a very subjective number-

I highly recommend TriggerTech. I prefer it over Timney and Jewell now. Easy install and click adjustment. TriggerTech offers different grades. I prefer Special for hunting, Diamond for benchrest guns, Primary series is good also will go down to 2.5 lbs.

I use Jewell HVR and Bix 'n Andy Tac Sport Pro. The Bix edges out the Jewell but not by much.

Sample of only two Timney triggers on bolt guns.
One (a two stage) on a Rem700 and one (single stage) on a CZ550. Happy with both.

Are trying to get better accuracy from the rifle? I have been wanting one for a light weight gun but questioned my ability to show it well enough. Your thoughts?

Check out the Triggertech two stage. Click adjustable first and second stage without removing the stock, and the pull and break are fantastic.

Timney (Calvin Eite) and Bix N Andy are great as well.

I highly recommend TriggerTech. I prefer it over Timney and Jewell now. Easy install and click adjustment. TriggerTech offers different grades. I prefer Special for hunting, Diamond for benchrest guns, Primary series is good also will go down to 2.5 lbs.

I had been leaning towards Triggertech prior to posting today. The bolt release being finicky seems to be the one issue some have encountered. Would I be correct in assuming you haven't run in to that with your's, Mark?

I’m a timney guy.. I’ve got them in all of my mauser and enfield customs as well as a few others…

I don’t have any rem 700s in the safe anymore.. but when I did, they wore timney also

I had been leaning towards Triggertech prior to posting today. The bolt release being finicky seems to be the one issue some have encountered. Would I be correct in assuming you haven't run in to that with your's, Mark?
I've had Timney Calvin Elite and don't remember any issues with the bolt release. On the other hand, others need a little tweaking/bending to make the standard 700 bolt release, smooth and consistent.

Are trying to get better accuracy from the rifle?

For me, yes.

This rifle has never been one to hold tight groups. Most factory ammo I've tried (a dozen or more) shoot 2"-2 1/2" groups at 100yds. Federal Fusion 140gr is the one round it will shoot moderately well- 1 1/4" or so.

The current factory trigger simply isn't that good. Replacing it with something better seemed a simple first step to seeing if the rifle is capable of more.

From my experience the triggertech is my favorite! I have a couple jewels and like them but I had an experience at a shoot where it got dust in the housing and locked up on me, but that won’t happen with the triggertech because of the housing design. So for hunting purposes I highly recommend triggertech

Another vote for Timney. I’ve installed several. If you order from the factory, they’ll pre set it to what you desire. If you order from a retailer, they come set at, I believe, ~3.5#. They are fairly easy to adjust yourself.

Another vote for Triggertech. Their design just makes sense in a hunting rifle. No more squirting lighter fluid on triggers after being out in the elements.

Bolt release is no big issue. I install about 5-7 a week. After you install the trigger you can bend the bolt release lever on trigger for proper function of the bolt release. No big deal. PM me if you have any questions.

If your thinking a trigger may help your grouping you are correct. But, in my experience it will help an occasional flyer not routine group improvements.

So,

I have the exact same rifle. Mine is Circa 1986. It's been a proven workhorse, and shot stuff across the continent.

As for accuracy, check the fit of the barrel to the stock. Mine had a slight rub, and once I cleaned it up, it was even better. I also shoot/prefer 140 gr Hornady. I believe they have stopped making it, and it's now a few gr lighter. Haven't tried the new stuff yet.

Don't know your shooting habits, but because it's a Mountain Rifle, the barrel heats up quickly. When zeroing, take time between shots. I usually fire off 2, then wait 5 or 6 minutes, then maybe another 2, then wait 6-8 minutes. Accuracy starts to wain when trying to zero/group in a hurry.

I also put the Timney trigger in it, and for me, it's perfect. Crisp, light pull, works.

I've installed Trigger techs on my 1988 Remington and like it so much I pulled the trigger out of my late model adjustable and replaced it with a Trigger Tech

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!