Reviews
Reaction score
Website
riflepermits.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
full

Thanks for posting the update on requirements!

@riflepermits.com

Does the 4457 no longer have to be dated within the same year?

I was surprised to not see that mentioned. If so, good news.

Yes, I definitely need to know that. I went to get the form in December, but this year is when I am going. So it could possibly be invalid? If someone knows, please reply. Thanks

Thanks!

I missed that when I looked at site....

According to the rep for my outfitter it depends on the expiration date. Got mine last December. It expires in August and I am going this spring, so I am OK.

The 4457 must be stamped 2019. This requirement began last year and is still in effect. @Speedster you will have to get a new 4457 sorry.
I am going to do mine in a month or so for my May Safari to Namibia.
Philip

Notarized copy of your passport- that’s new I believe

Customs form has an expiration date of 8/31/19.

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457_0(1).pdf
    559.3 KB · Views: 105
The 4457 must be stamped 2019. This requirement began last year and is still in effect. @Speedster you will have to get a new 4457 sorry.
I am going to do mine in a month or so for my May Safari to Namibia.
Philip
Do you remember when that went in to effect last year? I went in April/May and my 4457s had no date on them and there weren't any issues. Just curious because the SAPS website doesn't show the 4457s need a date.

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/importation.php

Philip: Thank you for your reply. You saved me from a potential disaster. Grrr.... I guess I need to make another trip to the airport.
Also, thanks Jerome for this forum. Amazing the amount of good information that is posted.

Do you remember when that went in to effect last year? I went in April/May and my 4457s had no date on them and there weren't any issues. Just curious because the SAPS website doesn't show the 4457s need a date.

https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/importation.php
There was a long discussion about this last year. RSA demanded we all have current year dated 4457’s. Before that some of us had even laminated our 4457’s and used them year after year.

There was a long discussion about this last year. RSA demanded we all have current year dated 4457’s. Before that some of us had even laminated our 4457’s and used them year after year.

I remember that thread and I had one that was "expired" and one with no date so I went to CB&P and they had some old forms with no date on them. I got one for my second rifle and it flew. I used Gracy Travel. Having said that, I would not wait until I get to SAPS with forms that may require grease. IMO, best to do a pre-approval.
Aside that, how do they interpret the word "certified". Notarized? Stamped with CB&P seal?
Still think there's some confusion there.

I remember that thread and I had one that was "expired" and one with no date so I went to CB&P and they had some old forms with no date on them. I got one for my second rifle and it flew. I used Gracy Travel. Having said that, I would not wait until I get to SAPS with forms that may require grease. IMO, best to do a pre-approval.
I like pre-approval of SAPS when hunting RSA as well. It just helps speed things along when you are bleary eyed from the 15 hours on DL200.
Riflepermits.com states that the 4457 must be signed in the year of the hunt. This was the technicality they rolled out last year.
The expiration date on the form became a problem a couple years ago. It’s always something so I’m glad there are services like Riflepermits.com to keep up updated on the lastest nonsense!
Philip

I like pre-approval of SAPS when hunting RSA as well. It just helps speed things along when you are bleary eyed from the 15 hours on DL200.
Riflepermits.com states that the 4457 must be signed in the year of the hunt. This was the technicality they rolled out last year.
The expiration date on the form became a problem a couple years ago. It’s always something so I’m glad there are services like Riflepermits.com to keep up updated on the lastest nonsense!
Philip
Agree, IIRC this is the third change in as many years. I emailed the minister of tourism about these repetitive and redundant changes and explained how they are meaningless. Stated that these aren't helping their hunting industry and constantly changing regulations are why hunters are going to Namibia and other countries. That was a year ago, still waiting for a reply.

Agree, IIRC this is the third change in as many years. I emailed the minister of tourism about these repetitive and redundant changes and explained how they are meaningless. Stated that these aren't helping their hunting industry and constantly changing regulations are why hunters are going to Namibia and other countries. That was a year ago, still waiting for a reply.
Good for you for writing the letter. It needs to be done whether effective or not.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg