Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
We continue the planning for our first safari to RSA in May. I am getting the 4457s for our rifles tomorrow and have arranged a service to help with the SAP520. I have been studying what kind of travel case to buy for our rifles and am thinking either the Pelican or Tuffpak. In either case, I had thought that mine and my son's (note: he is an adult, not a minor) rifles could be transported in the same case, until saw this on Delta's web site:

"We allow small arms ammunition, in quantities not exceeding 11 lbs. (5 kg) per person, as checked-baggage only. The weapon must be securely boxed and intended for that person's own use. More than one passenger may not combine quantities into one package. See more details/guidelines under shooting equipment."

The "shooting equipment" section does not address this matter. I know some (or many) of you have travelled with family before. What has been your experience on Delta?

Saw that also.

Never Fear You do have a few options.

2 different rifles cases. both rifle cases that you mentioned are good cases and i would opt of the tuff pak for the added items you can put inside the case while traveling.

OR - Put the 4457 in for both rifles in one name. However this will not work if you have the same rifles like 2 X 308 or 2 X 30-06. Only 1 rifle per caliber may be brought in to the country per person.

Now Ammo is another story. Each person will have to ship their own ammo in their ammo case. I usually put my ammo case in my luggage bag and lock the bag. Now the tricky part is if you do not have a rifle you cannot have ammo in your luggage. so if you go with option 1 the person who has the 4457 form for the rifles will have to carry all the Ammo. And the 2nd person will need to tape his mouth shut when in South Africa and you are going through the paperwork for the rifles.

thanks, James. So, you see it the same way. What are you using for an ammo case? Based on everything I have read, I'm thinking we'll take 60 rounds each.

What i use is a cheap pistol case that locks. Just in case they make you ship it as a separate bag. Some places do that.

60 rounds is good to go and if your PH can use what you have left over forget to pack it. and let him know. For some reason my memory is lacking in the packing of ammo that the PH can use.

For what it worth if you use more than 20 rounds your having a poor shooting safari.

I had the same questions about Delta, and based on the research, both my father and I will be checking in our guns seperate. But I have another questions about the "....Only 1 rifle per caliber may be brought in to the country per person". I have read on other locations that a "caliber" has a very broad definition. For example a 30 caliber is considered a 30 caliber, so if you cannot bring in a .308 AND a 300 Win Mag because they are both a "30 caliber"... Am I reading to much into the definition of "Only 1 rifle per caliber..."???

James G is correct on everything. I do the same. My last trip my partner could not bring his rifle through London so I bought it from him :), got my 4457 for it and used it over there and here no problem. Remember, keep your mouth shut and let them think you are stupid or open it and prove them right! I wouldn't worry about 2 rifles in 308 and 300 WM I had 30-06 and 308 in my case the last time. Just remember the 5 kilos of weight for ammo per person carrying a rifle. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES US A TSA LOCK ON YOUR GUN CASE, Use only your own lock. By law you have the only access to that case. TSA locks are not allowed. Once it goes behind the wall NO ONE shall have access to it. Make sure that the case can not be pried open at one end If so use a lock at each end.

Forgot to add that the PH can't retain any ammo that he does not have a licensed gun for in his possession Just learned that on my last trip to Namibia. SA may be the same.

Forgot to add that the PH can't retain any ammo that he does not have a licensed gun for in his possession Just learned that on my last trip to Namibia. SA may be the same.

Cliffy you are right on our last Safari I had to leave Deb's 30-06 ammo with the lodge and my 308 ammo with Rusty my PH.

They are dead serious about the locked box holding your ammo, I watched 5 guys come off delta in JNB last summer and no bags they were sitting in Atlanta, I use a nice alluminum box that cabales makes it holds bunch ammo here is the link for both plano and the other one

Cabela's: Search Results

I also carry spare set of locks in my gun case with a note to put them on in case some ahole cuts your locks off somewhere

HAVE FUN

So, no TSA locks on the gun cases. What kind of locks is everyone using - just someting you pick up at the luggage department?

Now the tricky part is if you do not have a rifle you cannot have ammo in your luggage.

THAT is the real pain in the a$$. I would love to take a few boxes each trip for my PH's even though I'm a bowhunter. I wish they would allow it. I mean....what am I going to do with 40 rounds of .416...throw it at people?

Combination, key, what ever kind of lock you want just not TSA locks. New locks inside the gun case HMMMM, an idea worth thinking about. Keep the keys with you though and the locks taped so they couldn't be locked unless it was necessary. Here in the USA we can travel via airline, (according to the TSA) with the ammo in the same case as the rifle, but go across borders and it's a different story.

Now Ammo is another story. Each person will have to ship their own ammo in their ammo case. I usually put my ammo case in my luggage bag and lock the bag. And the 2nd person will need to tape his mouth shut when in South Africa and you are going through the paperwork for the rifles.
Leaving on Delta to JNB in 2 days. I'm pretty clear on what to do, but wish to be crystal. I have 3 rifles, 2 300WSM & a 7mmMag. I will have a 300WSM & 7mm on my 4457 and the other 300WSM on a seperate 4457 in my wife's name. I have a lockable aluminum briefcase in which I was going to put all ammo. Now it appears I must split it? There are actually 3 hunters. I was planning on 100 300WSM and 50 7mm. Or I can still get away with all ammo in my name because I have 300 WSM & 7mm on my 4457 and claim my wife came with no ammo if asked?

Leaving on Delta to JNB in 2 days. I'm pretty clear on what to do, but wish to be crystal. I have 3 rifles, 2 300WSM & a 7mmMag. I will have a 300WSM & 7mm on my 4457 and the other 300WSM on a seperate 4457 in my wife's name. I have a lockable aluminum briefcase in which I was going to put all ammo. Now it appears I must split it? There are actually 3 hunters. I was planning on 100 300WSM and 50 7mm. Or I can still get away with all ammo in my name because I have 300 WSM & 7mm on my 4457 and claim my wife came with no ammo if asked?

scanr now I'm no expert but I believe you are allowed 200 rounds per rifle so if you keep the 300 wsm below that amount you can claim them all. but thats splitting peas maybe some one else has other Ideas.

So if it's 50 rounds per 300WSM and one of those is in your wife's name, I should think you'd have no problem. The fact that they're all in one container but you're traveling together I don't think would be a problem. I've only been to RSA twice, but neither time did I do anything but open the lockable ammo box to show them I had no guns in the box. They did not look in the ammo containers. That was this last trip. The first trip they never asked anything about ammo.

Just got back from SA. Ammo needs to be in your checked luggage. Does not have to
be locked. Rifle bolts need to be taken out of the guns.

I might as well jump in and muddy the waters even more. You are not required to remove the bolt from your firearm.....some people do, but that is their choice. Airlines in the US do not require you to "lock" your ammo box but some airlines overseas do require you to have your ammo box lock....South African Airlines is one example that requires you to lock your ammo box......go check out their luggage web page. I like to use medium sized Master paddle locks (key type) on my gun case with two sets of keys. I like the pelican for a gun case although the Tuffpak is a good option also. Pelican also make a couple of good sized (small that fits ammo) ammo boxes that can be locked. On my last trip to Namibia I took 40 rounds of 30-06 and 40 rounds of 375 H&H. I took 9 animals and with sighting in the guns fired 13 shots. I left the rest of my ammo with my PH and on my exit from the country the police ask how many rounds I was taking home and I told them none that I shot them all......they gave me a funny look and then chuckled at what a poor shot I must be!
Happy travels and hunting to all who are headed over!

Since I started this thread, I thought I would post my experiences from our safari in May. I took two rifles and my son took one. We each took a Pelican case - mine holding the two rifles. We cut the foam to fit using an electric knofe - perfect! (search you tube for instructions) We each packed a lockable, plastic pistol case (bought them at Bass Pro) with our ammo. Delta's and SAA's policies limit you to 11 lbs, though no one ever weighed it. They did ask us what it weighed when we checked in in the US, but did not verify it.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT use TSA locks on either your gun or ammo cases! I bought regular padlocks to fit at the hardware store.

We hired a service to acquire our import permits and they met us at the SAP office at the airport in Jo'berg. All went off without a hitch until we were checking back in the following morning for a flight to Richard's Bay. Had to go back through the SAP office where they decided one of the serial numbers was wrong on our import permits. They said they could "fix" it, but not for free! One of a few examples of corruption we experienced on the trip. All in all, everything worked out pretty well.

I have nothing to report on the return trip as we left our extra ammo and cases with our PH as part of his tip. He was very happy and we did not have the hassle of bringing it back with us.

The limit on ammo is 5 KGs (about 11 pounds) per pax, by Federal law. It's a HazMat issue. Never had it weighed but have had the weight asked at check in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross