Travelling to Zimbabwe for hunting - transfer and EU ban?

Rolf_T

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hi! Noticed today some worrying info about travelling with rifles from/through Europe/EU to Zimbabwe.
I have booked a through ticket from Frankfurt via Jo'burg to Harare which SAA confirmed including rifle transport as "in transit".
When reading some info - there is a ban in EU (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:055:0001:0013:EN:PDF), which means I have to have two tickets: one going to Jo'burg, do the SAPS forms, then embark on another plane to Harare with a separate ticket.

Have anybody travelled in transit with rifles from EU to Harare, without doing this lately?

I'm not much help, but my understanding is that nothing has changed. Certainly, if you go through the UK, they will not allow guns checked to Zimbabwe to go through. You have to check them to South Africa, and then re-check them to Zim. And that only works if they don't find out about it. Frankfurt may be a different matter today, but they were enforcing the ban a few years ago.

We have the same thing from Canada. No export permits for firearms to Zimbabwe.

from uk if your ticket shows harare/zimbabwe as your end destination you can go, but your guns cant due to the weapons embargo in place . not sure what the deal is with other eu countries or how strictly its enforced if there is a similar arms embargo in place. i believe as mentioned in above post is how some people got around this

The embargo is/was a UN embargo. The UK began to enforce it immediately, with other countries following along, more or less, as the urge struck them. You used to avoid it by going through FRA (I did that once) but then it began to be enforced in the EU generally, and there was no (legal) way around it.

Except you could do what I did. I bought a rifle in Zim (well, my PH bought it). It's available to me when I go visit, and the ammo is free. In the meantime, he gets to rent it to people he supervises. Win win as I see it.

I'm not much help, but my understanding is that nothing has changed. Certainly, if you go through the UK, they will not allow guns checked to Zimbabwe to go through. You have to check them to South Africa, and then re-check them to Zim. And that only works if they don't find out about it. Frankfurt may be a different matter today, but they were enforcing the ban a few years ago.

We have the same thing from Canada. No export permits for firearms to Zimbabwe.
There are loopholes available, you just have to apply to the governor general's office and the ministry of foreign affairs will grant a temporary export permit to Zim.

There are loopholes available, you just have to apply to the governor general's office and the ministry of foreign affairs will grant a temporary export permit to Zim.

might work getting it out of canada but i dont think its going to help when you try to go through other countries enforcing the embargo.

might work getting it out of canada but i dont think its going to help when you try to go through other countries enforcing the embargo.

They won't know you're going to Zimbabwe when you check your luggage and rifle to OR Tambo and overnight in Johannesburg.

Today: rebooked tickets, got notarized passord/gun license copies, prepared the SAPS 520, called Riflepermits.com and are once again ready to go :whistle:

Today: rebooked tickets, got notarized passord/gun license copies, prepared the SAPS 520, called Riflepermits.com and are once again ready to go :whistle:

Henry or one of his people will make that transition very smooth for you.

Reading scenarios like this makes me think life would have been simpler if booked via Emirates to Dubai and then a second emirates ticket directly into Harare?

You'd avoid Afton house RSA overnight in South Africa. You'd avoid SAPS. You'd avoid flying Airlink to Zim (they lost my guns...they love doing that), you'd have less hops which introduce more risk of hold up. You'd reduce the amount of permits you need to one from Emirates (free, easy, online) and one shall-issue permit upon entry to Zim. Lastly, I'd think that Emirates might not follow those EU rules you cite above making it perhaps possible to book on one ticket if that's the case?

And they're usually cheaper. And the food is awesome. And the drinks are awesome. And they have more legroom. And they are on time. And they don't lose guns often. And their staff is delighted to have their jobs.

***Disclaimer, not a shareholder in Emirates but would like to be!

Hi! Noticed today some worrying info about travelling with rifles from/through Europe/EU to Zimbabwe.
I have booked a through ticket from Frankfurt via Jo'burg to Harare which SAA confirmed including rifle transport as "in transit".
When reading some info - there is a ban in EU (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:055:0001:0013:EN:PDF), which means I have to have two tickets: one going to Jo'burg, do the SAPS forms, then embark on another plane to Harare with a separate ticket.

Have anybody travelled in transit with rifles from EU to Harare, without doing this lately?

......yes me, with very fresh experiences.

Morning Rolf,

normally you (only when you travelling with a gun) must check out in South Africa as a like a normal tourist with your luggage.
On my last travel to Zimb,the girls from the airline in Munic did not realise the embargo(no gun from EU directly to Zimb.) and checked me through to Bulawayo incl. my gun.
I got it there without problems

But now ,they was better in their job and I had to check out in Joburg and complete check in to Harare for my connecting flight.
At the bulky luggage counter there you get your gun.
And there are always airport employees, who are waiting for guys like us.
Give them 50 Dollars and he will guide you like a nurse to the police, that you get your permit to Zimb. in absolute quick time.
Measured on the costs of our hunts it plays no roll.
Its a labyrinth there and without your guide you can miss your connecting flight easily.

When you are going home,the airline girls in Zimb check you through where you rule-destination is , including your gun without trouble.

Nearby,I m at home since yesterday and had a fantastic hunt at Save River .
When I cleared my office a little bit,story and pics are following.
I promise (y)
Foxi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!