www.travelexpressagency.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Walter-USA-696x522.jpg

Image Credits: Provided

Many South Africans believe that our passport is somehow a green mamba – that most venomous, vile and lesser seen of the mamba family. We show it reluctantly, almost embarrassingly – not because we are ashamed of our country, but because revealing it to a border control officer never ends in a quick exit.

I was so convinced we had it the worst that I started to do some research into how bad it actually was. To my surprise, it turned out that South Africa sits in the top half of countries in terms of the ease with which we can travel (42nd out of 193 countries. It is not the only thing we complain about that isn’t nearly as bad, but my focus is travel so onwards…).

Some countries obviously have it better off, but I realised that our perception in this country is far worse than the reality. We found a suitably negative catchphrase and we conveniently used that as an excuse not to save for that exotic trip or not to plan anywhere new. We need an attitude adjustment, not a new passport.

In the course of my research, I came across an article about an Indian businessperson that became so frustrated with the treatment he received with his Indian passport that he travelled to every country in the world – just to prove a point!

Not to be outdone, I obviously tried to find the mad South African who proved the same point with our passport. I quickly realised how rare a feat this endeavour actually is. Far more people have travelled into space than have visited every country in the world! My Saffa pride started to form an idea that I could take on this challenge myself.

It has now been three years and I am well on my way. With over 140 countries completed, I have long ago changed my opinion of our passport. I delve into the specifics of the more difficult countries in another article, but it is all about the mindset of the individual.

141-countries-696x392 (1).png

Once you realise that getting a visa is no more onerous than renewing your passport, sitting in traffic or getting a driver’s license, you focus on just getting the job done. The only question is whether you REALLY want to see other places, or you are just looking for an excuse not to go. Some people have the drive to do things, while others just talk about it.

SA-passports.jpg

All the South Africa passports I’ve filled

Therefore, my advice to anyone interested in traveling around this great planet we live in is this: Do not let your passport sit in a drawer next to your unused gym membership. Get off your arse, get in line at the embassy and get out there!

This article originally appeared on SouthAfricanTraveller193
SOURCE: http://www.thesouthafrican.com/travelling-to-every-country-in-the-world-on-a-south-african-passport/

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Great information, thanks for sharing

Interesting article Lori. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois