Travelling light

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Counting down for my first African trip. 3 weeks.
Going over things with the Mrs around what we need. Sometime back people said travel light as the camp will do laundry etc.
My plan is to wear casual clothes over with my boots carrying 2 sets of clothes in my backpack with some shorts for the pol and underwear. We can both do this at about 6kg and I believe we can do 7 as carry on. This was suggested to make transfers easy at airports .
I did consider taking a small checked bag but probably won’t need anything it just would have been another set of clothes or an option to carry something over or back. A forum member suggested if we do buy anything over r there we box it and bring it home as checked luggage then.
Do many people manage with just carry on?

For me, never to Africa.

It really depends on the duration of the trip and where you are hunting.
All in one climate zone for a week or less in a lodge - Why not.

Counting down for my first African trip. 3 weeks.
Going over things with the Mrs around what we need. Sometime back people said travel light as the camp will do laundry etc.
My plan is to wear casual clothes over with my boots carrying 2 sets of clothes in my backpack with some shorts for the pol and underwear. We can both do this at about 6kg and I believe we can do 7 as carry on. This was suggested to make transfers easy at airports .
I did consider taking a small checked bag but probably won’t need anything it just would have been another set of clothes or an option to carry something over or back. A forum member suggested if we do buy anything over r there we box it and bring it home as checked luggage then.
Do many people manage with just carry on?

Are you taking a rifle and ammo?
Is do ammo and bolt will need to be in a suitcase.
If hiring etc then all you’ll need will be carry on.
If going Qantas you’ll have a generous weight allowance.

No, hiring rifle. I have a nice package and want to keep it simple. First international trip and wanting it to go smoothly.
Probably overthinking it all.

You're set.

Sounds a little too light. it's a good idea to take two pair of hunting boots in case one pair gets wet. Also a good idea to have a light coat or jacket in case of cold weather when the sun goes down.
I also take small gifts for the outfitter, the PH and the house manager (usually the wife of the PH or outfitter) and caps or knives for the trackers and skinners. I usually travel with one checked bag and one carryon in addition to my rifle case.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This right here is what I did. Extra boots along with a heavier jacket in the checked bag along with my ammo and a knife.

I used a day backpack for my carry on with one set of hunting clothes, cameras, my drugs, and a light jacket

As an apprentice this past June/July/August I brought one carryon and one checked bag on a flight that allows two checked bags at no additional cost. I will NEVER do that again. From now on I will bring two checked bags - one for my normal checked bag stuff and one filled with inexpensive tools and equipment. I will leave the equipment in Africa and use the now empty bag to bring home souvenirs.

I understand that I was gone over two months, and clients don't really need equipment. BUT you'd be amazed at how prized simple things like a short machete, a cheap flashlight, batteries, or inexpensive Chinese tools are out in the bush. Another thing I was blown away by was how expensive mid grade booze was (Zimbabwe). Like a fifth of Captain Morgan going for $40-50. If you brought in something half way decent like Johnny Walker Black you were a Hero.

I'd say if the airline doesn't charge for an extra bag/weight, it doesn't really hurt to bring one. You can fill it with gifts for the PH/staff and use it to bring home something cool like a traditional woven floor mat or something like that.

Last edited:
JimP best to let others carry the drugs. We purchased new sealed packs of inexpensive paracetamol and ibuprofen for fear of it being confiscated just mild painkillers should we need them.

Jeffery, I like your thinking but I won’t be carrying tools this time. Being hands on I can see they may help. It’s seems there a few that leave knives in camp. I won’t be taking one in a carry on. Are you getting much PH apprentice Work? It would be great to become an African PH.

JimP best to let others carry the drugs. We purchased new sealed packs of inexpensive paracetamol and ibuprofen for fear of it being confiscated just mild painkillers should we need them.

Jeffery, I like your thinking but I won’t be carrying tools this time. Being hands on I can see they may help. It’s seems there a few that leave knives in camp. I won’t be taking one in a carry on. Are you getting much PH apprentice Work? It would be great to become an African PH.

Yea, I should of clairified that they were my medications that I take daily instead of drugs so to say:E Frightened:

your in good shape as your renting the firearm. Carry a folded up duffle in your carry on just in case you buy a few things.

I check a bag, but I am taking ammunition and a rifle when going to Africa. I also have my primary hunting boots in that bag along with a polar fleece sweater and perhaps a waterproof shell depending on country and time of year. I also bring four changes of hunting clothes - usually two shorts and two long pants - particularly if a new area. My carry-on has one of those sets and a change of travel clothes - I try to get a shower after an over night flight depending on route.

Were I not bringing a rifle and thus ammunition, I think I could do it with a carry-on, though boots would be a challenge. The only place I rent rifles typically is Europe and there we are also playing tourist for a couple of weeks. On those trips, the lovely Mrs Red Leg checks two. :(

My vote is for a carry-on and a checked bag. Depending on when and where you are going, it can get quite chilly even cold in the early morning. I needed long johns, both Tec-Weight and Marino Wools. I also bring a very complete first-aid kit. Three sets of clothes (total) but with extra undies and socks. I put all "high-value" items in my carry-on, along with one change of clothes and my medicine. Have you compared your packing list against those recommended and or posted previously on AH?

I used roll up vacuum seal bags, and got all of my husband and I's hunting clothes in one carry on bag. Bino's/camera/kindle/important sh*t was in our backpacks.
We took a checked bag because I'm a serial over packer, and I left a ton of stuff with our PH. Poor kiddo probably thought I was crazier when we left than when we were hunting with him, from all the crap I left him. It could can be done, but you'll have to pack smart.

I have done just carry on once when I was renting rifle there for a last minute DG hunt. I wish I could travel that way every time. It was so easy and you really don't need all that stuff anyway. I think we all get caught up in bringing stuff since we are so excited to go. In reality I wear 1/4 of what I bring and actually "use" even less. Have a great trip!

That is the thing, if it is just a hunt that you are going on you can get by with very little especially when you are using the outfitters rifle.

But for a lot of us it may be a one time thing and then if you bring a girl friend or a wife along on the trip odds are they are going to want to do some sightseeing which will add to your clothing and bags. Even on my one and only trip when we started to tour I was wearing some of my hunting gear as clothing started to get soiled. The nice thing was that some of my hunting gear was just olive drab BDU's that look just as good hunting as they do out seeing the sights.

I’m hoping to only take a daypack and hardcase carry-on next trip. There will be two of us and each will have that. I will wear a set of hunting clothes and Courtney’s, vest, and fleece jacket. Renting rifles. 10 days in Namibia and 10 days in RSA. I don’t foresee any issues.
Last trip I carried the same along with my rifle and case checked. I checked my carry-on because it also had my ammo box.
I think you’ll do just fine! JMO&E

I could do it with just a carry-on, but not with one weighing in at under 20lbs.

Backpack: Change of clothes, meds, small flashlight, spare glasses, phone charger, light fleece, paperback book, water bottle, paperwork. Checked bags: Small suitcase: 3 hunting pants and shirts, 3 pair sox and skivvies, ammo case, jacket depending on time of year, second pair boots, small gifts. Double rifle case: guns, boresnakes, rag, knife. This has sufficed for my last three safaris. On my hunt last year I did borrow a heavy jacket from the outfitter because it was unseasonably cold and wet most of the time.

I pack very light wearing a set of hunting clothes incl boots. The rest of my clothes and toiletries are in a carry on backpack. I check the rifle case and a bag containing the ammo box, extra boots, knife, etc.. my rationale is, if none of my checked luggage shows up, I can still borrow a rifle and have a great hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.