Traveling with suppressors to South Africa

tommy1005

AH member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience travelling from the US to South Africa and back with a suppressor? Thinking about taking one on our safari in June for the 6.5 Creedmoor that my son will be shooting and the 300RUM that I will be taking. Wasn't sure on what information I would need to travel internationally with them, or if it's just easier to buy a couple of cheap ones there and leave them with my PH.

I've done it and it's not a problem at all. On the RSA side they did not even acknowledge it. They are very common there. Just make sure it's on your 4457 for when you return to the US. The US Customs guys verified the S/N matched what was listed on the form and sent me on my way.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!!

BD

Anybody have any experience travelling from the US to South Africa and back with a suppressor? Thinking about taking one on our safari in June for the 6.5 Creedmoor that my son will be shooting and the 300RUM that I will be taking. Wasn't sure on what information I would need to travel internationally with them, or if it's just easier to buy a couple of cheap ones there and leave them with my PH.

There are no regulations on Suppressors in South Africa. You could even walk into a store here, buy one and walk out with it, since its not classified as a weapon.

There are no regulations on Suppressors in South Africa. You could even walk into a store here, buy one and walk out with it, since its not classified as a weapon.
Are there online stores there in South Africa that you could refer me to that I could buy one and have it sent to my PH for when I arrive there?

Are there online stores there in South Africa that you could refer me to that I could buy one and have it sent to my PH for when I arrive there?
I did a little web searching a while ago on the same lines, I found a couple or more. If you go this route make sure you know what threading they use for your gunsmith to tap the end of your barrel, it's probably metric. That said I stopped when I realized the headache it would be buy it abroad and bring it back. The ATF form for a suppressor requiresa a serial number and takes a while to process. Then I think you need another form, the ATF 6 to bring in anything you didn't already own here back in. Chat with the ATF about that first.

That is unless you just want to leave it there.

Doesn’t sound that hard. Lucky you are not coming to Australia!
I believe New Zealand are fine with them.

A suppressor/silencer is considered a prohibited weapon in Australia. In my state at least you need a permit from the Police commissioner. (Approved reason)

But you can put a Bayonet on the end of a rifle

They consider a suppressor a Weapon? How heavy are they?

I know, if they follow the UK Police example in the thread about blunt knives they will issue suppressors soon to make the ends of out rifle safe ! We win!

I doubt it

Safari and Outdoor - www.so.co.za

Just check your locals laws on the legality of suppressors, should you wish to take it home with you.

I made it here to South Africa with no issues. Hopefully the same can be said for the way back out. They checked serial numbers on the Rifles and suppressor at the airport when I left Houston.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.