Traveling with rifles with suppressors into South Africa from US

NathanFlorian26

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I recently was able to use a suppressor in South Africa and I am hooked! I would like to buy one for use in the states for my 7mm and if it can be done, bring it with me next year when I return to South Africa. I understand the process on the paperwork for the suppressor in the US (trust). Once you are legal in the US and with the proper paperwork, can you bring the suppressor into South Africa from the US?

If you buy one here and go through the govt paperwork and get cleared you are good to go. Just declare it on your 4457 so CBP has proof that you got it here and are not bringing it in from outside. Good idea to have a copy of the purchase receipt and paperwork with you in case you should be questioned. Suppressors are legal in RSA.

I recently was able to use a suppressor in South Africa and I am hooked! I would like to buy one for use in the states for my 7mm and if it can be done, bring it with me next year when I return to South Africa. I understand the process on the paperwork for the suppressor in the US (trust). Once you are legal in the US and with the proper paperwork, can you bring the suppressor into South Africa from the US?
Hi Nathan, there have been a few threads/posts recently on this subject. You and anyone else considering traveling with a suppressor would be well served to read the following thread (link below). Particularly the first post on page 2.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/going-suppressed-or-maybe-not.49258/

Hurricane Butterfly is a knowledgeable importer/exporter. They gave the same response as the exporter I asked. When you get into issues involving Dept. of State, ITAR, Homeland Security, etc. you can find yourself in spot you don’t ever want to be.
Right or wrong, all it takes is an individual with a bad attitude looking to make someone’s life hell and you may be getting to know govt bureaucracy and law enforcement intimately.
As I understand it, Suppressors are on the ITAR restricted list, along with night vision devices.
Most of the time the individuals you are dealing with at the airlines, TSA, CB&P, etc have no clue about ITAR regs and such, so no one raises an eyebrow. Still... all it takes is one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,