Traveling with Ammunition

Dbrown4183

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I am sure this is written somewhere but i can not find it.
My son and I are flying to South Africa for a hunt in May on South African Airlines. We will have our rifles in seperate locked cases but are wondering if it is allowed to combine our ammo into a single locked case. I have tried to contact South African Airlines about this but havent received a response.
Has anyone here ever done this?

Interesting question because you are both taking separate rifle cases. Obviously the easiest thing would be to take two cases for ammo. Are the calibers of your rifles the same or different? If they are the same I doubt you will exceed weight and quantity limits in one ammo case. If the rifles are different calibers it would be your unlucky day that SAPs decided to check ammo and part did not match the rifle of the person bringing the ammo case into the country. Could get dicey!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This right there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If same caliber you should be alright but if different calibers then separate.

Are your rifles the same caliber or different?

The rules do get cumbersome: A person can't bring in two rifles in the same caliber and you can only bring in ammo for your rifle(s).

If your rifles are the same caliber, one of you can bring in all the ammo. If two different calibers, each of you need to bring in your particular ammo.

I’ve been stumbling through the same thing for my dad and I’s trip in June. Dads taking a 300 win mag; I’m taking a 375 HH.
I got ahold of South African Air and they said I could put the ammunition in same lock box for/in checked bagged with no issues, so long as it didn’t exceed the 5kg. If I separated the ammo then obviously we could take 5kg/ea.
Dont believe there’ll be an issue with the airline, but SAPS might be a different story since we’re takin different calibers.

I see no problem as long as the guns are in one name and listed as such on the 4457. Two guns, two calibers, ONE name. Ammo can go in one box. That would be the safest bet. SAPS can be a little picky at times so don't chance it.

However if both rifles are listed on one 4457 then that is what they would base the SAP's 520 on for just one hunter. That could cause a problem if the hunters are separated in the field and if by chance they get checked for the permits.

782C263C-B956-4F3D-B0D6-41A6904E9108.jpeg
I haven’t read all the responses but based on my very recent experience on traveling with ammunition it sucks !
It can, I imagine, happen to any airline but.... we were on hold waiting for a slot for over an hour in Madrid outward bound. This meant a mad scrabble in Addis Ababa to get everyone onto connecting flights. We were packed onto buses at the steps and driven across the apron to our various connecting flights. We saw our rifle cases being loaded. All good so far.
Sadly in Windhoek there was no sign of our ammunition. It was still in Addis Ababa.
We managed, without too much difficulty, to get ammo in Namibia. PPU wouldn’t have been my choice but as it was the only 7x57/275 available that had to be it. I was very pleasantly surprised with it and even managed to shoot an injured eland with it.

So for anyone traveling into Namibia in Windhoek there is Safari Den in Auas Valley Mall. Large stocks of ammunition it all popular calibers. The prices, by European standards, are not frightening. There is also a good range of hunting clothing upstairs. Also in the Mall is Shilongo leathers if you want a pair of “vellies” or indeed most leather goods. Jonnos Cafe is good for a bite to eat or a cold draught Hansa.
Safariland Holtz or Bush Beat as it is now known in Maeru Mall in the city is to my mind over priced. At least on some items I compared. However I did pick up a nicely polished pair of oryx horns from the buxom Himba ladies at the market for about $15
Joes Beerhouse is still as good as ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have gotten good answers from other members.

My son and I are flying to South Africa for a hunt in May on South African Airlines. We will have our rifles in seperate locked cases but are wondering if it is allowed to combine our ammo into a single locked case. I have tried to contact South African Airlines about this but havent received a response.

The issues and the authority involved:
Flying Ammunition Anywhere weight and storage- IATA guidelines - 5Kg. per person in proper storage.
Flying Ammunition on SAA - Storage is the only added snag with SAA. They will want the Ammunition in its own locked and separate case from other checked baggage. (when leaving RSA)
Importing Ammunition into RSA - SAPS - Quantity and Caliber Restrictions (ie. one firearm per caliber)
The holder of an import permit may not posses more than 200 cartridges for each firearm mentioned on the import permit unless approved by the Central Firearms Control Register.
https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/importation.php

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 09.32.37.jpg

@Dbrown4183 SAA will never give you and answer about combining ammunition and could care less what caliber of ammo is in the case or to whom it belongs, beyond the one ticket holder checking it in and the IATA storage and weight guidelines. It's not there issue.

SAPS will issue a Temporary Import Permit to the the applicants, as long as they meet the legal requirements for that permit. As noted above.
Will SAPS care if two calibers of ammunition show up in the same case? Not likely if you are both standing there with your properly completed SAPS520's and a happy smile on your faces.
However, there is absolutely no question of encountering an issue if each hunter shows up with their own case of ammunition.

Put your ammo in small locked case in your luggage. Don’t combine it.
Which travel agency did you use for the trip?
Best of luck,
Philip

I used Debbie Trinidad at Custom Travel. She was very helpful with all my questions and were helpful with the rifle travel information

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg