Traveling with 2 Rifles to RSA: Gun Cases, Ammo Case, Gear, and Luggage?

4. I would just have ammo and spare locks in the ammo case.
5. Snap Safe TSA locks are heavy duty and will last unlike the others. (do not use key locks)
These TSA Locks?

526C2E68-142E-4ED3-9ACE-99B208F17F06.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommendations are not because of stuff being breakable but for thievery. OR Tambo is notorious for this.
Well, this brings up another question I have. I’ve never locked my checked suitcase when traveling domestically. If you lock it traveling to Africa, won’t the foreign airline/security staff break the locks to get into it to “inspect” its contents if they want to? I’m sure they would conduct “random” searches of bags when they are transferred from a U.S. carrier to a foreign carrier? But, maybe not? Thanks!

Last edited:
I go to Africa about every year but still use Gracy Travel. I know most of the rules but if I need my flights changed or if something changes while I’m in Africa, Gracy can change things much more easily than I can from camp.

Use ONLY TSA locks on ammo case in case TSA wants to open it to inspect it after you have checked it in with airlines. I put my small pelican ammo case inside my checked bag to get to South Africa. If you make a connecting flight in SA, the airlines will want you to check it separately but it’s fine inside your other checked bag until rechecked in Joberg.

I use my Badlands 2200 daypack for my carryon with paperwork, shave kit, batteries, snacks and my binoculars inside.

I put as much gear in my rifle case with my rifles as I can to keep my other checked bag under 50 pounds.

Use Master padlocks with keys on rifle case. No one but you is allowed to open it after it is checked at the airport with you present with TSA.
Do you lock the checked bag containing the ammo box? If so, won’t the foreign airline/security employees break the locks to get into it to “inspect” the contents if they wish? I posed this question to Tanks also. Thanks!

The Kestrel has dope in it for 4 or 5 of my rifles. One of my trips I shot Springbok st 300 yards and a Black Wildebeest at about 350 yards, but this trip my not require as long of a shot. So the Kestrel is not a big deal. However, it is a small item. I also have the dope in my RF Bino’s and RF itself…

I’m more concerned with combining gear with my rifle, types of locks, storing ammo in a checked on gear bag/suitcase, and what types of luggage/bags I should bring.

At this point, I’ll likely to bring two rifles in one case. I’ll have some wheels added to my older aluminum case and use it…
Apologies. Your idea of hunting is very different than mine. To each their own.

I’ve never used TSA locks on gun case or ammo case. No problems.
The TSA taught me a lesson on the ammo case. I had a regular padlock on it operated by a key. They came and got me at my gate to come and open it for them and I about missed my flight. They said to use TSA locks on ammo cases in the event that they want to open it for inspection.

Do you lock the checked bag containing the ammo box? If so, won’t the foreign airline/security employees break the locks to get into it to “inspect” the contents if they wish? I posed this question to Tanks also. Thanks!
I use TSA locks on my suitcase and the ammo box inside. They can easily be broken by thieves but I’ve never had that happen. I’m sure many people have opened their suitcases and discovered a TSA pamphlet inside. Happens to me regularly.

Well, this brings up another question I have. I’ve never locked my checked suitcase when traveling domestically. If you lock it traveling to Africa, won’t the foreign airline/security staff break the locks to get into it to “inspect” its contents if they want to? I’m sure they would conduct “random” searches of bags when they are transferred from a U.S. carrier to a foreign carrier? But, maybe not? Thanks!
They all have TSA keys.

They all have TSA keys.
Ok. I thought the TSA keys were an American DHS requirement. I didn’t know the foreign airlines had TSA keys? Thanks!

Apologies. Your idea of hunting is very different than mine. To each their own.
No Apologies necessary! If you are referring to using dope and/or equipment for obtaining it? That came from the need to hunt and kill ethically through extending my effective range… I had an SS A-Bolt Stalker in 7MM REM MAG in Right Hand and I shoot left. It was a tack driver that I ran out of confident shooting distance with on more than one hunt. 330 yards was really about it with one exception to a little over that. I’d taken over 45 animals with it through the years, but passed on a couple nice mule deer at 350 to 400 yards and either up or down hill and in steep rocky terrain.

I’d know others that were willing to take multiple shots to try to get a kill and either missed, injure an animal, or luck out after taking 3 or 4 shots! I was on a 2 on 1 guided hunt and passed on two nice deer only to have another hunter take multiple shots on each, missing the first, and injuring and not recovering the second. This infuriated me and (in part) drove me to buy a custom rifle, go to a long range shooting school, and extend my effective shooting/killing range to greater distance.

I also wanted Left Handed rifles with the same scopes and system for shooting/hunting at greater distance. This was also very circumstantial and doesn’t apply to most of the hunting I do! Of course this decision also resulted in understanding how to us MOA, zero stop scopes, and adding equipment to my hunting style that I was not otherwise familiar nor aquatinted with! And, 4 more custom or customized rifles in Left Hand!

Now, I need to account for and plan on taking the equipment on certain hunts… I also need to make time to shoot and hunt more, the ladder I’m taking care of this year.

A lot said here, with many topics which deserve their own posts. Maybe I’ll follow up on those later.

** I agree with you; to each their own…

They usually X-ray it and if they need to get into it then contact you. I have never had them get into my case on their own ever. I do have spare locks and zip ties in my luggage just in case though.

The ammo box has TSA locks as well as the luggage. If TSA needs to get into it then they can.

Traveling internationally is not really rocket science and most seem to complicate things. I have 5 separate international trips scheduled this year starting mid-March. The only annoying thing is flight cancellations at times where one has to re-book.

Of course, the USA Covid testing requirement for entry adds another wrinkle to travel when one has connecting flights. For example, I have an evening flight from Bergen to Oslo then home in May. I have to spend an extra night in Oslo in order to take the Covid test instead of arriving at Oslo at night and taking the following morning flight home. That comes into play in Africa as well.

I've tried many TSA locks over the years. Most of them suck, or put another way, most of them are broken by TSA as they are lazy, don't want to find the master key, etc, etc.

Two tips for you:

1.) Buy the Cable style TSA locks. They are less prone to breakage in my experience.

2.) Make sure that every single TSA lock you own is the same TSA master key serial number. All my locks (coincidence) are TSA master key #007. Why does this matter? Because TSA is less likely to start cracking open your locks with bolt cutters if they only have to get out one of the 30-50 master keys that exist to open ALL your stuff. If your ammo case and suitcase have mismatched lock numbers, quantity 4, that means they have to find 4 keys...that's like work and they don't like that at all.

Good point in master key. I use the Forge ones for master key #006. They have been pretty solid enough for me and I have had no issues to date.

1644869066033.png

I should mention, in the "Event" I had at TSA where they couldn't figure out how to use their master keys, they didn't break just one TSA lock, they broke THREE in one session. (new punk on the job that day) I'm a risk mitigation-oriented person so I bring full duplication of all needed TSA locks with me to Africa. I was able to fix one of the broken locks by bending it back, but the other two were toast. I would have had my trip to Africa ruined had I not had additional TSA locks at the ready in my carry-on.

In addition, I've been known to leave Africa with more bags than I arrive. Sometimes I'll find a piece of furniture or large curio while I"m there. Hence, I carry some huge army duffles folding up flat inside my checked bags. I can "inflate" those spare duffles and use my extra TSA locks for the return trip if I need to do so.

I like this Forge model very much. More durable as I mentioned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.56.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.56.56 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 75

In addition, I've been known to leave Africa with more bags than I arrive. Sometimes I'll find a piece of furniture or large curio while I"m there. Hence, I carry some huge army duffles folding up flat inside my checked bags. I can "inflate" those spare duffles and use my extra TSA locks for the return trip if I need to do so.

I do the same. If I don't get anything to fill it, I usually end up leaving it for the PH or other personnel. I like this one from Amazon. They take almost no room deflated.

I do the same. If I don't get anything to fill it, I usually end up leaving it for the PH or other personnel. I like this one from Amazon. They take almost no room deflated.

I like these "disposable" ones that are huge. Absurdly, ridiculously huge. How huge? I brought over a set of replica elephant tusks in them...ironically no one in any nation stopped to inspect 3' replical tusks in the bag, go figure.

They are absolute junk bags. I've never had one survive there and back before but I usually can return them to Amazon for refund or exchange if I time my order/return correctly. Like I said, they are junk (metal clips break) but they are huge and they pack really small.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.57.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.57.36 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
SKB (Orange, CA) Quad Gun Case. 7 trips. NO issues. Lockable; comes w/ keys. TSA has 'em also. 'Have carried 4, 3, and 2 rifles with it. Super protective. Wheels. Handles where you need 'em. SKB has a free service whereby if the airline breaks any latches, parts, etc. (has not yet happened,) they will express ship the necessary parts to repair prior to the flight home. They make 2 diff grade cases (those that would go in your vehicle, on a pack horse, personal aircraft ATV/UTV AND the HD series for commerical airline travel. Get the good stuff and you will not be disappointed!
1644872781247.png

I appreciate all the input. Sounds like difference of opinions/experience between lock types, types of locks used on gun case vs ammo box, ammo box actually checked on as separate checked bag, ammo box put inside a checked bag but with its own lock on the ammo box…

My single rifle case has 6 Hasps for locks; it would be nice to use only two locks. I’ve always used 2 keyed locks for my aluminum rifle case because it was the style that has a rod on each end that also has two hasps. It doesn’t have wheels. I’ve taken it 3 times to SA. I’ll post a picture tomorrow.

My new case has wheels and is really designed for one rifle… It also has lots of extra storage and would be great if I only bring my .375 H&H SAKO. New Case with Wheels.
View attachment 452596View attachment 452597View attachment 452598
looks like you are going to need 6 locks for that case plus 6 spares incase they cut them all

I really don't like using more than two locks on a case (I do not use TSA locks on the gun case - I do luggage and ammo). Four or six locks is a pain for me and TSA. A rivet bolt and nut of the proper size and color will fill the extra holes cleanly as if a lock was never intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross