Traveling to Limpopo

Ronnie O'Neal

Reaction score
Have an opportunity to go to Limpopo Sept 2020. Will be getting the process started soon. The trip will be way out of my comfort zone. Will most likely be hunting small predators at night with calls and lights. How is the flight from DFW? Once you arrive how is the drive to Limpopo? I have a million questions for anyone that has been.

Have an opportunity to go to Limpopo Sept 2020. Will be getting the process started soon. The trip will be way out of my comfort zone. Will most likely be hunting small predators at night with calls and lights. How is the flight from DFW? Once you arrive how is the drive to Limpopo? I have a million questions for anyone that has been.

Welcome to AH. The drive to Limpopo from Johannesburg is roughly 5 hours give or take depending on where in Limpopo you're going. So you may want to take another flight, just depends.

From DFW, you have alternatives. Emirates is a great airline and will get you into Joburg at an early enough time to go to Limpopo without overnighting. Delta flight out of Atlanta goes directly into Joburg but in the evening. I suggest your utilize Orbitz to at least get an idea of what you're looking at for itineraries and arrival times in Joburg.

Or you fly into Johannesburg, spend the night there then fly to Polokwane the next day (about a 55 min flight). That is what I am doing next September.

Want to say we get picked up from the airport then drive the rest of the way. Vallwater

Want to say we get picked up from the airport then drive the rest of the way. Vallwater
As Phil posted, it will be a long drive. And from my experience the outfitter will charge substantially for that ride to and the return trip. Be sure to obtain all the costs before you sign up so there are no surprises.

welcome to AH. Have hunted there a couple of times and as Phil said the dive will take a while. I have always flown Delta to Johannesburg. If time is not an issue Emirates out of Dallas would be an excellent choice.

As mentioned earlier, you've got options on the flights. We've always dove the Delta flight from Dallas Love to Atlanta, then on to Joburg.. We overnight at the Afton Guest house.. If bringing your own guns, which I'd highly recommend, use either Afton's service or Riflepermits.com to get your gun paperwork pre-approved.

It's not a bad drive at all from Afton/Joburg into Vaalwater, hair under 4 hours, plus it gives you a chance to see that much more of a great country most others in the US never witness.. We hunted this past summer not too far from Vaalwater, near Thabazimbi and had great luck on the night critters..

Here's a link to my report if you want to check it out..
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ture-with-limcroma-safaris.51557/#post-560841

Got any other questions, just let us know.

+1 on the above. Drive is no big deal and gives you a chance to see some of rural South Africa. Been twice to Limpopo and no charge for the drive.

Just returned from Thabazimbi last night after seven days on a management hunt...drive from the airport to lodge...3 1/2 hours...no fee from our outfitter for pickup and return from JNB, flew Qatar. Great airline and much less $$$ than Delta

Hope I am not too late to jump in on this. I am hunting with Limcroma in April. My first time with them but it will be my 6th trip to Africa. For what is it worth: Fly one airline (either Delta or SA Air) to J-burg. Long flight from east coast to J'burg but staying with one airline and as few as flights as possible reduces the chances of delays or lost/delayed luggage. And no matter what time you arrive in J'burg, spend a night before heading out for the safari. The plane flight and jet lag are brutal and you will enjoy your first couple days of the hunt a lot more by getting some rest before you start.

Several people told me the same two things before I went to Africa the first time. There are only two problems with going to Africa. First, the plane ride is terrible. Second, you can't go just once--once you have experienced, you will have to go back.

Don't worry--enjoy the whole adventure and new experiences start to finish. You'll have a great time.

Last edited:
Try flying qatar have flown delta several times and saa once never again price for qatar one third of everyone else alows me more animals
Hope I am not too late to jump in on this. I am hunting with Limcroma in April. My first time with them but it will be my 6th trip to Africa. For what is it worth: Fly one airline (either Delta or SA Air) to J-burg. Long flight from east coast to J'burg but staying with one airline and as few as flights as possible reduces the chances of delays or lost/delayed luggage. And no matter what time you arrive in J'burg, spend a night before heading out for the safari. The plane flight and jet lag are brutal and you will enjoy your first couple days of the hunt a lot more by getting some rest before you start.

Several people told me the same two things before I went to Africa the first time. There are only two problems with going to Africa. First, the plane ride is terrible. Second, you can't go just once--once you have experienced, you will have to go back.

Don't worry--enjoy the whole adventure and new experiences start to finish. You'll have a great time.

I have been to Limpopo by vehicle from PawPrints in 2018. In Sep 2020 I am flying Delta from Little Rock, To Atlanta then to Johannesburg and spend the night. Then leave Joberg the next morning and flying South African Airways 8809 to Polokwane Airport in Pietersburg where I will be picked up by my outfitter Limpopo Big Game safaris.

We flew Delta, got picked up at the airport and driven straight to hunting camp. Was it a lot of sitting? Absolutely, but we were able to start hunting the next morning after sighting in bows. Limpopo was beautiful, and in all honesty I was so glad we went straight to camp after we landed. It was nice to "get there" finally after all that traveling.

Make sure you don't arrive on a national holiday. We did, and then drove through bumper to bumper traffic for the next 7 hours. It was kind of comical though, to see 3 lanes of cars and trucks expand to 6 lanes, with most driving in the grass median, then the real bottleneck came when they all had to collapse back into 3 lanes for the toll booths. What should have been a 4.5 hour drive, wound up taking almost 7. Our outfitter came to get us, and took us back included with our hunt price. For what it is worth, The Limpopo was incredible. You will never forget your time there!! Enjoy, and please write a hunt report when you return!

I’ve been to Alldays in the far northeast on one trip. Long drive. Got out of the Joberg airport about 7:00 pm and arrived about 1:00 am. Most of us slept all the way in a van shuttle.
Also been about an hour north from Thabazimbi in western Limpopo. A good 4 1/2 hour drive to Joberg airport.
No one charged me extra for shuttle service on any of my hunts. I do see it listed on some quotes.

Best of luck on your adventure!

Agree with you guys...
three trips over, Delta ATL to JNB, out of the airport by 630-700pm and in Lephalele 11pm-12:00am. No charge for transfer because PH/outfitter says it was included in day rates.
I am tempted to try the Qatar route for the money but I have leaned towards shortest trip vs. cheapest cost thus far!

Welcome to AH Ronnie O'Neal. I've only been twice but I much preferred the overnight in JoBurg. The Afton House is quite comfy. Our drive to Limpopo was broken up by stops at a butcher shop and the biggest fruit market I've ever seen. You will see expressways that rival those in Austin TX and the sights of rural Africa. If necessary you can stop at Safari Outdoors and pick up any last minute hunting gear and or ammo. We sighted our rifles in the afternoon of our arrival and were fresh for our hunt the following day. One of the side benefits of doing it this way is that you get to know your PH(s) a lot better. Transportation costs were included in the price of our package, check on this so you know what to expect ahead of time.

Don't sweat it. That's not a bad drive at all and as mentioned, good road. There are lots of gas stations/quick marts along the way for a quick rest stop if needed.

I've done the drive to Louis Trickard several times. And even driven across the Zimbabwe border. That is a once in a lifetime experience, then after you have done it, fly any subsequent trips;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg