Traveling to Canada

GA Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I’m looking for some feedback on traveling north of the border. I’ve booked a bear hunt in British Columbia this spring. One of the outfitters suggested that I fly into Seattle, cross the border in Sumas, overnight in Hope, and finish the drive the following day. The logic she used was two fold. First she said this would avoid the traffic in Vancouver and secondly she said the border crossing would be less stressful in Sumas. Another one of their representatives suggested that I fly into Vancouver, find somewhere just outside the city to overnight, and finish the drive the following day.

The only complications that I know of will be the car rental and clearing my rifle.

Any thoughts are welcome.

BD

Canada unlike the US is very easy to deal with on importing your rifle temporarily in my experience. Very simple online form and pay your $25 fee at customs. I’ve brought firearms in three times at different locations and have always been treated very courteously. Handguns are another story!
Cheers,
Cody

Getting in is usually much faster than getting out.
No problems or hassles at all.
I've driven in and flown in.
Prefer to drive as it does seem a bit easier.
I crossed very early and very late. I was the only one there both times.
But this was in Minnesota

Where are you driving to?

Final destination is about an hour NW of Lillooet. BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters is the outfitter.

I think this may be who @Red Leg has hunted bears with, perhaps he can chime in on this?

Several people on AH have hunted with them which is a large part of why I chose them. Great reviews from everyone.

BD

Assuming the Corona virus issue has settled down, I'd fly to Vancouver. I flew through there a couple years ago, but caught a connecting flight to Whitehorse. Pretty simple, just have your paperwork in order. When you fly back home, you will clear US Customs in Vancouver, so you'll need a completed form 4457.

Final destination is about an hour NW of Lillooet. BC Trophy Mountain Outfitters is the outfitter.

If you can afford it:
Skip the busy lower mainland border crossings altogether.

Fly to SEA (Seattle) to YKA (Kamloops)
Zero traffic, zero lower mainland.

Hang out in Kamloops and take the leisurely two + hour drive the next day

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 12.32.04.png

Rent your car, no border issues.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 12.32.59.png

Several people on AH have hunted with them which is a large part of why I chose them. Great reviews from everyone.

BD
I used their driver service. If you do that you will overnight at a Sheraton on the east side of Vancouver (45 min from the airport). I have them drop me off at a hotel near the airport on the way back and fly out the next morning. Some of the roads into the ranch are sporting to say the least. Vancouver international is an easy transit. In five trips, I have never even had my rifle looked at. The forms are on-line and super simple. Take them to the tax counter, pay $25, and you are on your way.

If you can afford it:
Skip the busy lower mainland border crossings altogether.

Fly to SEA (Seattle) to YKA (Kamloops)
Zero traffic, zero lower mainland.

Hang out in Kamloops and take the leisurely two + hour drive the next day

View attachment 327889

Rent your car, no border issues.

View attachment 327890

This is something to consider for sure. I’ll have to compare flight options.

If you fly into Seattle and rent a car make sure that the rental agency knows that you are going to be taking their vehicle across the border and that you have all the correct paperwork.

Other than that others have you covered. The Canadian firearm form is fairly easy to fill out, just don't sign it until they tell you to.

Joe's "been there done that" suggestion is certainly an option to consider.

Thanks to all. I’m even more confused now.
BCTMO recommended you drive across the border rather than fly into Vancouver!?! Normally Andre is their POC on hunting. Is that what he actually recommended? This normally a really simple hunt to arrange, and I personally wouldn’t consider renting a car and driving across.

Normally usually most of the time they suggest you fly into Vancouver, take a cab to the Sheraton in Surry, and they pick you up the next morning.

Last edited:
Just make sure that the barrel length of your rifle is not LESS than the Canadian rifle barrel limit (I think 18" but not 100% sure).

BCTMO recommended you drive across the border rather than fly into Vancouver!?! Normally Andre is their POC on hunting. Is that what he actually recommended? This normally a really simple hunt to arrange, and I personally wouldn’t consider renting a car and driving across.

Normally usually most of the time they suggest you fly into Vancouver, take a cab to the Sheraton in Surry, and they pick you up the next morning.

Andre is the one that recommended Vancouver. The girl working the booth with him at DSC suggested Seattle. Her opinion was that it was easier than dealing with the Vancouver traffic. Honestly I can’t imagine it’s any worse than what I have to deal with in Atlanta on a regular basis. I’m just considering all options.

BD

Vancouver literally has THE WORST traffic in our country.

Now, cutting across from the YVR airport in Richmond to Surry is not a big deal. You actually avoid Vancouver proper.

A local will take you by the southern route and avoid most of the headache and bridges.

You threw in the self drive portion. or the rep did.:E Confused:

Andre is the one that recommended Vancouver. The girl working the booth with him at DSC suggested Seattle. Her opinion was that it was easier than dealing with the Vancouver traffic. Honestly I can’t imagine it’s any worse than what I have to deal with in Atlanta on a regular basis. I’m just considering all options.

BD
Listen to Andre. He is the hunting coordinator for Kevan Bracewell who you will meet at the ranch and who owns the operation. Land, go through immigration, hand over your form at the tax counter, pay your $25, grab a cab to Surry (35-45 mins depending on time of day), check into the Sheraton, have meal in their passable restaurant, get a good night's sleep, and the van will scarf you up between 0630 and 0700. Simple and easy (and a lot cheaper).

And no, the traffic is neither Atlanta nor LA, but it will be a pain getting out of town and driving to the ranch. You for sure don't want to do the last couple of hours yourself in the dark (your phone and google maps will be at best intermittent once you enter the Fraser gorge and non-existent past Lilooet.)

Listen to Andre. He is the hunting coordinator for Kevan Bracewell who you will meet at the ranch and who owns the operation. Land, go through immigration, hand over your form at the tax counter, pay your $25, grab a cab to Surry (35-45 mins depending on time of day), check into the Sheraton, have meal in their passable restaurant, get a good night's sleep, and the van will scarf you up between 0630 and 0700. Simple and easy (and a lot cheaper).

And no, the traffic is neither Atlanta nor LA, but it will be a pain getting out of town and driving to the ranch. You for sure don't want to do the last couple of hours yourself in the dark (your phone and google maps will be at best intermittent once you enter the Fraser gorge and non-existent past Lilooet.)

Sounds like I have my answer. Thank you. Always wise to listen to those who have gone before you. Thanks RL.

BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross