Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
Princess Bride and I will be in Vancouver Island British Columbia the first week of June for her black bear hunt. Pacific Rim Outfitters has sent us all the paper work needed to get our two rifles into Canada. However, being teachers we have a lot of June left over that could be spent touring Canada, fly fishing and even visiting Canadian National Parks.

I know that if I drove into a U.S. National Park and a park ranger saw in my truck a Pelican case that could contain a firearm that ranger would become very inquisitive and definitely throw a fit when he opened the case and saw two rifles. I have a sinking feeling that the Canadian national parks aren't much different. I would welcome any suggestions on traveling through Canada for a week after PB's bear hunt with firearms. Another option would be to ship the firearms back. Any exploration on that idea would be welcomed as well.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Many of the National Parks have highways going through them and they no longer even check vehicles for firearms. Going through the parks with a firearm is just fine.
Do not take the case out of the vehicle. Obviously.
If you happen to be stopping inside for a bit make sure it is buried and out of site, as required by firearms law, you should be fine. (You are not allowed to have firearms inside a Park)
In some parks in the north you can actually use firearms for protection.

Shipping the firearms home should not be an issue at all.
We are allowed to ship by mail and there are no issues with Canada Post.
Have your paperwork in order and you'll be fine.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I drove back from my AK hunt last year, went through two parks, zero problems. The Canadian authorities were very good people to deal with. I simply filled out my forms online, had them ready to cross the border check, they didn't even want to look at the guns. I did a 4457 at US Customs on the AK side. Your permit is good for quite some time all for 25 CAD. You will be much more aggravated by our side of the fence!
Cody

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Good to know these things Wayne as I may want to do a bear hunt with you folks up north.

caddman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI AFGA DU AHEIA
Hunted
Canada-BC,AB,Sk,QB USA-NM,KS Namibia
In addition to the previous info, don't forget your trigger lock on your firearm while travelling in Canada.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
In addition to the previous info, don't forget your trigger lock on your firearm while travelling in Canada.

Good point.
or LOCK the gun case.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I find the Canadians to be very cordial and very reasonable at the border and in law enforcement. If you have your rifles properly documented/permitted and the case is padlocked and inaccessible to a driver at all times, I think you'll be just fine. Ask them before you enter the park and if they object, they may even store it for you at the entrance to the park.

Disclaimer: My experiences have been in New Brunswick, Ontario and Montreal which may have different provincial standards.

Overall Canada is a classy place and I've always been treated with kindness in my interactions with their government workers.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
Traveling around Canada with a firearm is easy. If you are not in the vehicle, the firearm must be out of sight and the vehicle locked. There are no Federal trigger lock requirements despite what some of our LEOs believe. National Parks are another story. Technically, you are not permitted to leave the main highway with a firearm in your vehicle and the firearm must be fully encased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prom Electric krb53

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?