Travel to California with gun

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a lousy question. But the is no dumb question right?

The wife and I are driving from Iowa to California for Thanksgiving with her family. I would like to take some extra time and try to do some hunting on the trip or the family has a close friend that has a large ranch that I’m told we may hunt hogs on. The question is what do I do with a rifle in California when we aren’t hunting. Not hot about leaving it in the hotel and even less excited about leaving it in a unattended vehicle. I thought about asking the in-laws about leaving it with them but they aren’t gun people and there will be kids in the house over the holiday.

What say you? Any good advice? Thanks.

The wife and I are driving from Iowa to California for Thanksgiving with her family. I would like to take some extra time and try to do some hunting on the trip or the family has a close friend that has a large ranch that I’m told we may hunt hogs on. The question is what do I do with a rifle in California when we aren’t hunting. Not hot about leaving it in the hotel and even less excited about leaving it in a unattended vehicle. I thought about asking the in-laws about leaving it with them but they aren’t gun people and there will be kids in the house over the holiday.

Locked hard case at the in-laws. Totally safe, no one has to even see your guns.

Does the "close friend" have a rifle you can borrow?

Or maybe, assuming your rifle is legal in California, contact the local sheriff office and ask them to store it for you in their arms room.

Locked hard case at the in-laws. Totally safe, no one has to even see your guns.
^^^^ This. Don't forget to get an out of state hunting license. Not having that can get you in more trouble than the gun, not sure if one needs it for hogs on private property but big game one would need it. Also, CA does not have over the counter tags.

I am a CA resident, but I don't hunt there as it is too much of a pain with tags, draws and regulations.

As a non-resident alien…I’ve overnighted a couple of times in California when travelling to and from Alaska with a rifle. I’ve always left the rifle in a locked hard case which I secure to a fixture in the hotel room with a cable/bicycle lock. As others have said I’d be more worried about having a “signed “ hunting license.

Just keep it in a locked hard case, as others have said. No big deal beyond that. You can purchase your non-resident hunting license and pig tags online. They’re cheap and you can have multiple tags.

when I left Ca 10 years ago the law was all guns have to be in a gun safe and I maybe wrong with a trigger lock installed. please check with a gun shop or the police dept. Ca is to screwed up to take a chance on. and in a vehicle they have to be in a locked case away from the passenger area. I might not be correct as it has been a long time since being there and will never go back

Just keep it in your vehicle with you. I always have half a dozen whenever I go down. I’ve not had any problems.

You can buy tags online and have them mailed to your friends house. You need to fill out the fish and game info on their website and have a hunter safety class for your state. CA should qualify you with that info. As of now one tag per pig but as many pigs as you want. I believe they are $22 per tag. If your state doesn’t meet the requirements for the hunter safety. You can do it online for 24.95$ over the weekend?

But I’m pretty sure with proof of your state hunter safety card they will take it. It says 15 days to receive your tag in the mail, they usually send it to you with in 3-5 days

also if you do everything online with the state, they will give you a go number, with that you can buy your tags at any sporting goods store that sells tags and licenses.

hard case locked up at the in-laws should work. If your in socal area I’ll lock it up for you in a gun safe.

if you need anything else let me know, I’m an instructor for the dept of fish and game of California and teach the hunter safety classes.

^^^^ This. Don't forget to get an out of state hunting license. Not having that can get you in more trouble than the gun, not sure if one needs it for hogs on private property but big game one would need it. Also, CA does not have over the counter tags.

I am a CA resident, but I don't hunt there as it is too much of a pain with tags, draws and regulations.
You must also remember that you cannot hunt anything in California without lead free bullets. You have to bring the ammo with you as you will not be able to buy ammunition there. Even residents now have to pass a background check to buy ammunition and non residents can't buy it at all.

You need to get a Tuffpak gun case. They will think you have golf clubs....

You need to get a Tuffpak gun case. They will think you have golf clubs....
And steal them anyway.

You have to rember that a thief will take anything that isn't bolted down. And if you give them enough time they'll unbolt that.

I'd just leave the rifle at home and borrow one or just enjoy the time there and not hunt.

in Ca never leave your guns in a vehicle or you stand a good chance of loosing them. last time there many years ago had nothing in the car but still got the window broken out called police to get a report and they would not come out, said it is to much trouble as it happens all the time

^^^^^. Especially with out of state tags.

Just keep it in a Locked hard case at the in-laws. Totally safe

Can a non resident even take ammunition into California? I was in Texas hunting cranes with a good friend last week and he didn’t think NR could. In the past I’ve hunted in California 3 or 4 times with the last time back in the early 2000’s and it’s a shame they have gone so overboard with the regulations. I would love to go back and collect a cackling goose, Aleutian goose and give a Eurasian widgeon another go but I think the hassle out weighs the benefits.

Here are a couple of links to help answer your questions.
This talks about long guns also.

Last edited:
Can a non resident even take ammunition into California? I was in Texas hunting cranes with a good friend last week and he didn’t think NR could. In the past I’ve hunted in California 3 or 4 times with the last time back in the early 2000’s and it’s a shame they have gone so overboard with the regulations. I would love to go back and collect a cackling goose, Aleutian goose and give a Eurasian widgeon another go but I think the hassle out weighs the benefits.
Yes, but I think you are limited to 40(?) rounds of ammunition when entering California and that is for residents and non residents alike. I don’t know what is like for a non resident to purchase ammunition. I know it requires a background check for residents so I think it would be the same for a non resident. Best to call a gun store in the area you will be visiting and ask them.

It isn't like you are traveling to South Africa and have to pass through customs and have a permit...............YET.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross