Travel route recommendations from Toronto to Windhoek?

Sika98k

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
South Africa Eastern Cape, Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Czech, Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
Hi folks,
I am tentatively planning another visit to Namibia next year. A friend of mine from Toronto,Canada is considering joining me.
Does anyone have recommendations for a relatively pain/hassle/grief free route from Toronto to Windhoek in May ? What firearms friendly airlines are there out there ?

Sika98k

Check with several travel agents. Get bids and tell them you are doing so. This will give you professional advice for what is the most important plane ticket you will ever buy (guns, Africa, you get my point).

Recommended Travel Agents:
Travel Express
Gracy Travel
Travel With Guns

Namibia is my favorite place in the world! I'll be there later this month.
Regards,
Philip

Namibia is my favorite place in the world! I'll be there later this month.
Regards,
Philip

You lucky,lucky barsteward ! Enjoy and thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toronto - Frankfurt - Windhoek
Toronto - London - Jo'berg - Windhoek

Depending on the time of year prices vary wildly between the two routes. We've gone both without issue. Fly Air Canada out of Toronto and then Air Namibia through Frankfurt or Air Canada out of Toronto and South African Air for remainder of trip through London.

Sika98k, Depending on the exact dates, the best route from Toronto is usually through Frankfurt/Munich and then through Johannesburg on to Windhoek. Air Canada/Lufthansa and South African all run regular flights and all are gun friendly. There is usually a daytime layover in Germany but always good to get into town for a pint and some schnitzel whilst stretching the legs. You can use any of the search engines like http://www.flightnetwork.com/ to set up a price alert

Hi folks,
I am tentatively planning another visit to Namibia next year. A friend of mine from Toronto,Canada is considering joining me.
Does anyone have recommendations for a relatively pain/hassle/grief free route from Toronto to Windhoek in May ? What firearms friendly airlines are there out there ?

@Sika98k , tell your friend to come and see us at the Toronto Sportsmen Show in March 2017. We will be happy to help him out with the flights etc.

Depending on the time of year prices vary wildly between the two routes. We've gone both without issue. Fly Air Canada out of Toronto and then Air Namibia through Frankfurt or Air Canada out of Toronto and South African Air for remainder of trip through London.

That about says it.

No issues with rifles when transferring airlines in London? I've always heard this was problematic.

No issues with rifles when transferring airlines in London? I've always heard this was problematic.

It's easy peasy for Canadians that stay within the Star Alliance family of airlines. I've heard it is more difficult for Americans transiting London with firearms though.

Exactly.
Stay with the partners and it will be checked through to the end.

One stop, Frankfurt, Lufthansa/Air Namibia, Two stops its does not matter, just make sure the JBN to WDH leg is not on BA (Comair).

It's easy peasy for Canadians that stay within the Star Alliance family of airlines. I've heard it is more difficult for Americans transiting London with firearms though.

Those guys in London must not know @BRICKBURN I guess. :whistle:

That about says it.
Agree with Wayne.

If you follow this itineraries @sheephunterab set out and take Air Canada followed by either Lufthansa or South African, you should have no issues at all.

As for those who question going through the UK, I have done it no less than 7 times over the past decade, and never had an issue whatsoever. In fact, when I once had a problem in Canada with an agent who refused to check my guns all the way to Victoria Falls, saying I had to collect them in JNB, the SAA agent in London took my claim checks for all of my bags and went into the bowels of Heathrow to find the bags and re-check them all the way. And apologized for the Air Canada bozo in Calgary who tried to make my trip difficult.

Did it to Windhoek last year and did the Jo'burg run in April of this year.

If it's peak tourist season time when Air Namibia flies straight to and from Frankfurt regularly I suggest looking into Toronto-Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Windhoek and vice verse coming back. Straight forward, simpler, faster, and less chance of anything going wrong. The bigger concern would be airlines you use if you're booking yourself. I recall a recent post about Emirates being very unfriendly to hunters. Air Namibia has no problems.

The only issue with peak tourist season through Frankfurt to Namibia is that flights are likely double what they are through Jo'berg. That was the deciding factor for us last trip to Namibia.

Gents,
Thank you one and all for the advice. I like the heads up on Star Alliance. They will obviously have an inter airlines baggage handling agreement so you can check kit straight through all the way.

If you go through Jo'berg you may have to take possession of your guns there and clear them with SAPS. I'd highly suggest using a service to do this. It will likely add a couple hundred bucks to that route.

@sheephunterab , thanks but won't be a problem. From here,Ireland,we always check baggage all the way through.
I will make sure my friend avoids this potential pitfall. But the heads up is appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross