Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
My wife bought me a nice take down rifle for Christmas, and I finally had a chance to shoot it today. The first three shots were very promising! 2.5cm 3 shot group with the open sights at 100M. I can hardly wait to put a scope on it and try some more extended shooting sessions.
I need to find a compact hard case and a good set of detachable/repeatable scope mounts for it now. I have been looking at the EAW Eramatic mounts, and they look very good, but I am confused when choosing between seven different locking options. Which do you prefer and why?
Do you have any suggestions for a case manufacturer? Most that I have found are much too large, the inside of the case only needs to be as long as the barrel - 63CM

Verney-Carron Impact Plus take down, 9.3x62
Impact032.jpg

first three shots down the barrel, Norma 286gr. Oryx - Open sights, 100M
IMG_5637.jpg

Dang man!!!

You don't even need a scope!

Reactions: BWH
Cant help you on recommendations, but nice looking gun and nice shootin! :W Sharp Shooter:

I like my Americase for my AYA #2 shotgun. It should work fine. Also Pelican makes a short model as well.

1 you have a very loving wife
2 you have a very smart wife
3 you have a very practical wife
4 keep your wife!

That is a lovely MF'ing rifle!!!!!!

Does your wife have a sister? :)

For a gun like that, first choice would be a very low claw mount. Second choice would be a side pivot mount. EAW or Recknagel hardware is a certainty either way.

Wonderful rifle!

I bought my daughter a Ruger 10/22 Takedown in her schools colors..... is that the same?!?!? LOL.....

Have a look a negrini cases, hope I spelled it correctly. Lovely Rifle, you drew a fine wife partner!
Cheers,
Cody

1 you have a very loving wife
2 you have a very smart wife
3 you have a very practical wife
4 keep your wife!
Has she got a sister ?????:A Thumbs Up:

Another vote for Pelican

As to the case:

Empty Americase, then have the inside French fitted, oak plank spacers, leather exterior over the aluminum and a canvas cover. That would be the best solution but will run you $1500+

The thing is for airline traveling you want as much space as possible in your gun case to carry other things. So in my mind, again for airline travel, you don't gain much by buying a takedown smaller case. You have up to 50 pounds you are allowed to take and you want to make the most of that capacity in the two bag allowance. I love and own many Pelican cases and that is what I enthusiastically recommend. If you get the small one for the take down rifle it will be cool but you will have to be very strategic on your packing.
Regards,
Philip

Are you looking for a case to show it off, or are you looking for a case to take it on a plane?

If Mrs. Clause bought that rifle without any input from Mr. Clause she is definitely a keeper!!!

The thing is for airline traveling you want as much space as possible in your gun case to carry other things. So in my mind, again for airline travel, you don't gain much by buying a takedown smaller case. You have up to 50 pounds you are allowed to take and you want to make the most of that capacity in the two bag allowance. I love and own many Pelican cases and that is what I enthusiastically recommend. If you get the small one for the take down rifle it will be cool but you will have to be very strategic on your packing.
Regards,
Philip

@Philip Glass That's a bit of dated thinking, respectfully. Most international countries are now going officially out of their minds when they see anything but the guns in the gun case. It really increases the risk they hold the bag in general. These tuffpak guys are in for a particularly rude awakening as they are truly a yard sale in a box and the inspectors don't care for it as its bending or breaking their rules.

If the guy has two or three guns, certainly he needs a two or three gun case. If three guns, he also needs to fly first class because thats the only way to up your 50lb limit to the required 70lb limit you'd need for three guns in a durable case, it appears.

But for one take down gun? That's a small, no-nonsense case that securely holds the gun. All the accessories, ammo and other items should be travelling separately by rules anyway.

Agree with @rookhawk, in Europe you are only allowed to have your rifle and scope in the case.

@Philip Glass That's a bit of dated thinking, respectfully. Most international countries are now going officially out of their minds when they see anything but the guns in the gun case. It really increases the risk they hold the bag in general. These tuffpak guys are in for a particularly rude awakening as they are truly a yard sale in a box and the inspectors don't care for it as its bending or breaking their rules.

If the guy has two or three guns, certainly he needs a two or three gun case. If three guns, he also needs to fly first class because thats the only way to up your 50lb limit to the required 70lb limit you'd need for three guns in a durable case, it appears.

But for one take down gun? That's a small, no-nonsense case that securely holds the gun. All the accessories, ammo and other items should be travelling separately by rules anyway.
Been on many, many hunts in different parts of the world and I always pack my gun case (pelican 2 gun) with 1 gun and and FULL of other gear, gifts, and other misc stuff! I have never had my bag held or questioned or anything like you mention.
Sorry but I have NO idea what you are talking about.
Regards,
Philip

Been on many, many hunts in different parts of the world and I always pack my gun case (pelican 2 gun) with 1 gun and and FULL of other gear, gifts, and other misc stuff! I have never had my bag held or questioned or anything like you mention.
Sorry but I have NO idea what you are talking about.
Regards,
Philip

Past performance is no indication of future results. Times and airline policies are a-changin'.

Let's use some logic here: your gun must be locked and you solemnly swear no one else packed it and that you are the only one that possesses a key for said gun. You show it to TSA or their equivalent and it is sealed with your lock. If anything in that bag is illegal, you go straight to jail as you cannot say "it isn't mine, Someone else went in there!".

All other luggage and ammo must be packed with TSA locks so that any authorities can open and reinspect the contents dozens of times as they please along the route of the bag.

At very least , you are undermining the law and policies because you are denying the authority to inspect non-gun items in transit. Illegal drugs? Fruits? Many things can be illegal in your luggage in different regions. Solvents? Snap caps that look line live ammo? Boresnake looks like a bomb fuse?

If I was an inspector and I saw a pile of crap in a rifle case locked, knowing if I break the lock to look that it's grounded and can't forward by rule, I'd take a look. It's a very pretty cocky play denying the inspectors right to do their job.

What right is there to commingle commodities and then lock them so they cannot be inspected? The reason they don't mind a gun is they trust a gun is a gun is a gun. Everything else tossed in is subject to inspection and different rules in each region along the way per customs.

Last edited:
Past performance is no indication of future results. Times and airline policies are a-changin'.
Let's see the policy. I've not seen it.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg