Travel News - Coronavirus Advisory

Been here for 22 days leaving tomorrow night. Hoping for the best

Been here for 22 days leaving tomorrow night. Hoping for the best

Where are you coming from and headed to?
Travel safe.

From Nelspruit to Johanusberg to Atlanta then Phoenix On to Anchorage

That's a bunch of airports on your long ride home
Safe travels.

That's a bunch of airports on your long ride home
Safe travels.
Not much internet here in Kruger was told by a local that South Africa shut down all travel from UK and US. Some others said it was only for incoming flights. Not sure will find out tomorrow morning when I get to airport

It's the people not the planes that are not allowed in.
However, soon it will not be worth the money for the carriers to continue the flights.
So, cancellations will ensue.

The actual announcements from Cyril are here on AH in the other COVID thread. Just the facts.

From Nelspruit to Johanusberg to Atlanta then Phoenix On to Anchorage
Alaska and Anchorage have so far been impacted to a far less degree than elsewhere. As of Sunday out of 144 tests only one was positive. A cargo pilot who is a foreign national and showed symptoms right after he arrived in Anchorage, so it was contracted elsewhere. However I believe most likely there are a larger number of infected persons not yet tested. Also most school systems in Alaska were on spring break last week and many from Alaska travel outside the state during that period. The returns started this weekend, so our exposure may be going up significantly.

ZIMBABWE:
Zimbabwe: Recent UK tourist contracted coronavirus
Unlike neighboring South Africa, Zimbabwe has yet to close borders to visitors from affected nations

John Cassim |16.03.2020

HARARE, Zimbabwe

A tourist who visited Zimbabwe last week and returned to Britain has tested positive for coronavirus, said the government of the South African country on Monday.

“Today we received a report that a tourist who came to Victoria Falls on March 7 and departed on March 10 back to the United Kingdom has been found positive for COVID-19 and is currently being treated in the U.K.,” Health Minister Obadiah Moyo told a press conference in the capital Harare.

The hotel where the tourist stayed and the staff there have been quarantined, Moyo added, but declined to give any specifics.

Zimbabwe has yet to confirm any COVID-19 cases but has so far dealt with seven suspected cases, all of which tested negative.

Unlike neighboring South Africa, Zimbabwe has yet to close borders to visitors from affected nations.

Schools are still open and in most public places, it is business as usual except at all ports of entry, like Robert Mugabe Airport in Harare and Victoria Falls Airport, where 80,000 visitors have so far been screened.

Meanwhile Zimbabweans have expressed concern the country’s rundown health delivery system might not cope well with the pandemic, with only 45 beds at the two quarantine centers in the country.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/zimbabwe-recent-uk-tourist-contracted-coronavirus/1768313

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here because my flight leaves from TX to Atlanta to JNB on March 31st and return June 11th direct from JNB the same route. Will be my first safari and trip to SA so I have no idea what the turnaround time and requirements of getting an expedited visa would be. What a pain in the ass this is all becoming! I cannot fathom what this will do to the SA economy if this ban runs through this 2020 season.

Cody, have you spoken to your travel agent because I spoke to mine today and RSA has banned Americans from entering

@Cody hunt4life Your flight leaves March 31st?
If so that is one hellofva 2+ month adventure but deffinately gonna get caught in the travel restrictions so I'm hoping you meant May 31?

Hahaha, yes yes, I Meant May 31st - June 11th. I WISH I could go for that long. Certainly not in the budget

Cody, have you spoken to your travel agent because I spoke to mine today and RSA has banned Americans from entering

Didn't use a travel agent. Booked through an agent helping choose the outfitter specifically but nothing to do with the travel. I may be changing mine to next year if something doesn't come about fairly soon. Too many things that need to be done and are scheduled for travel etc like Stameril, Hep A&B Shots ($320) (supposed to get those April 1st by appointment), CBP Forms etc etc. This was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime for my but beginning to be a real struggle unfortunately having to fear so much loss of money with my business taking a major hit therefore my financials are much tighter already than intended or should be from last year at this time well after I had booked my hunt. I've been packed and ready with my things to walk out the door for 2 weeks trying not to overthink anything but still be prepared as possible. My Outfitter said their President would be giving a more specific travel ban update/timeline tomorrow regarding the US. Fingers crossed! If I can't get into RSA, I'm going to have me one hell of an axis hunt in a couple months! I'll re-make that taxidermy money next year hahaha

Oh, how much fun.....

I have flights through Frankfurt to RSA in a week and a half with Lufthansa. Or more likey had. Now I have to see what Lufthansa is going to do about it. I'm giving them some time since they have their hands full right now. The flights are insured if they cancel them but not until they do.
Reminds of the old saying in the Air Force "Hurry up and wait". But in the case it's "Wait and hurry up"
Ryan- Lufthansa took great care of all of us that had our flights cancelled while in Frankfurt yesterday. Hotel, food, buses and return flights were all paid by them. Hutch

Ryan- Lufthansa took great care of all of us that had our flights cancelled while in Frankfurt yesterday. Hotel, food, buses and return flights were all paid by them. Hutch
It's all good. I'm safely at home and my outfitter is cool with waiting so I still plan on going on the trip when this gets under control. Still waiting to hear from Lufthansa, but they request not calling them until three days prior to original flights. So I'll give them that.

There is some talk of Corona Mutating..............I have seen it, and am ready.......FWB

IMG_7010.jpg

I am supposed to have an overseas trip on April 15 lasting 3 weeks. The country I am going has a 14 day quarantine policy now.

The airline I booked the trip has an offer to refund or rebook as long as I do it before the trip. I am thinking of going early June now.

I also take off for a Safari end of July lasting through 3rd week of August. I am hoping I can get there. Flights can be rebooked but $20K+ in daily rates alone is a bit of money to let go to waste.
Find a way and go! This is way overblown.

As long as flights go and countries accept people I am going on the Safari. To be honest if things are still the way they are now in August still, we will have more problems than making it to a Safari worldwide!!!
I feel the exact same for our 24 June departure. Fingers crossed these sever closers will be backed off and allow us to go. Been a loooong 18 months dreaming/planning about this to now delay. Will self isolate soon, gas at a new normal price and bear season opens April 1.

MB

...Will self isolate soon, gas at a new normal price and bear season opens April 1.

Seeing that my April 15 trip is canceled I am thinking of a mountain lion hunt in Utah in April. I do have a roof top tent on my 4runner, so don't even need to worry about lodging.

41Q9267l.jpg

Attachments

• 41Q9267l.jpg
    41Q9267l.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 122

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg