Travel News - Coronavirus Advisory

I'm headed for Argentina on the 18th of March. Worrying over Coronavirus at this stage of the game is making a "mountain out of a molehill." I.e. <100/315,000,000 what are the odds? For many of us the normal death rate is considerably higher. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anybody. I'm not wanting to sound "caviler" about this, but we (most of us anyway) plan our hunts a year or more in advance so lets go and enjoy it.
While it appears to be "more deadly" than the regular flu, it also seems like most of the panic is hype. Unfortunately, media hype and the government's reaction to it to reduce citizen panic can still effect travel. That's the major issue here in regards to how it will impact safaris.

Of course if you do get that sick in a 3rd world country that is a big problem.

I've decided to get to WDH via Joburg instead of Qatar since qatar has a few cases and the surrounding countries are somewhat of a hot spot already. No telling what the future holds but it seemed like a safer bet in the event this scare is still active then

I’m headed JFK to Joberg to Bulawayo mid April and the only thing that will stop me is if the planes aren’t flying or that they won’t allow me into Zim

Im a bit worried but I guess no one knows the answer yet

@Shakka. I paid for my hunt/day fees, and air fare in November for a September Limpopo hunt. I have decided there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. If the hunt is cancelled "out of my control" for any reason, I will ask Bossie to push the hunt to next spring or summer and then ask @Travel Express to find out what they can do for my changing my air fare.

The lovely Mrs Red Leg and I are sitting in Vino Volo having a chilled Chenin Blanc at Austin-Bergstrom awaiting our flight to Costa Rica. Judging by the lack of masks, looks like most of the “we’re all going to die” crowd is staying home locked in their basements.

Last edited:
@Shakka. I paid for my hunt/day fees, and air fare in November for a September Limpopo hunt. I have decided there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. If the hunt is cancelled "out of my control" for any reason, I will ask Bossie to push the hunt to next spring or summer and then ask @Travel Express to find out what they can do for my changing my air fare.

Same here my friend. I’m all paid up and leaving 5 weeks from today....hopefully

As long as I have a flight I’m going!

RSA is starting to report cases of Covid-19 as well now. I plan on transiting through Qatar in May. If we limit the discussion to public health concerns, I just have more faith in a country with an authoritarian government, almost limitless financial resources, and the world’s 5th best healthcare system to be able to contain the corona virus in contrast to anything the South Africans can muster. My worry is not so much about getting to Africa but getting back out. The Middle Eastern and European countries we frequently transit through may place a travel ban on those coming from Africa given their poor public health initiatives record. I guess the silver lining would be more days hunting until such ban has been lifted?

I head out on 15 April to JNB. My girlfriend is nervous, but I told her I am going unless the flight doesn't leave. While concerned, I believe the media is getting carried away for certain reasons.
Good luck to all.

I was on an emirates flight for 17 hours and 12 hours respectively earlier this week. Also the same 3 weeks ago. What I can report is that on the flight from Dubai to the States a PILE of people (Indian-Americans mostly) were sick as a dog on the flight. Major respiratory coughing fits, horrible noises, etc.

In Jo'Burg, the health workers took 385 people's temperature before they were allowed off the plane. (and I was worried...I had a 101F fever from a flu I got from my kids back home when I landed in Jo'Burg...thankfully they suck at checking temperature and extra thankful that I was fully recovered about 4 days into my travel)

I would wager money that an airbus A380 with 385 people aboard were subject to Coronavirus.

I'm not prone to panic and I don't get a flu shot or worry much about germs. However, in this instance, I'm confident that this virus is all over the place at this point. Will you get the virus during travel? Maybe. Will you die? Probably not. Would I want to present symptoms in Africa with a weakened immune system from hard hunting fatigue making your immunities weaker? No.

You don't want to catch coronavirus or a flu bug while on a safari. You don't want to be quarantined in a 3rd world hospital for having any flu like symptoms either.

Four weeks from Monday for me. Same here if it flys I’m on it.

If it makes you feel any better, I spoke to my agent today and she said that she THINKS that things would need to get really bad to start canceling flights

Giving me allot of anxiety though;)

Just heard the Canadian Gov is "compensating" Canadians who are stuck due to COVID19. Now I leave in June for SA, wonder if Gov will pay me to extend my stay???????

MB

Personally, I hope that this coronavirus ends up being the zombie apocalypse........I have a cabinet full of ammo and no where to shoot it!!!:rolleyes::whistle:

Seriously, though, I hope you all get to go on your trips with a minimal of hassle..........good luck to all of you heading out.(y)

On a more serious note re: the flu.................we have two people on my unit at work that are on ECMO (advanced life support) because of the flu. I feel too many people are taking it & vaccinations lightly; it's not just a bad cold.........so far this season 16,000 people have died from it. Easily preventable. If you don't get a flu shot, please reconsider. Thanks (end public service announcement now:LOL:)

@Travel Express ,
Any new thoughts after the announcements last night. Wait and see or time to look at alternatives?
Thanks Lori

I think wait and see as you have a bit of time.
That’s what my wife says, but she is also preparing for me to be a grouchy, moody guy until this crap blows over.:V Make My Day:

That’s sad news. It’s summertime there which, in theory, reduces viral infections.
Man if I have to cancel mine and my granddaughter’s trip, I’ll lose a lot! Airfares are paid, deposits are paid...ugh!
I would not consider cancelling. Bad idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg