Travel cleaning kit

Rakman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Any recommendations for cleaning kits, travel friendly? Looking for something for my 375 and 300.

I picked up a nice pull through cleaning kit from a sporting goods dealer. It has a coated cable with a eye type patch holder. Brushes can also be attached to the one end. I then got a small bottle of Hoppes #9 and a small bottle of gun oil. It all fit into a plastic sandwich bag.

I also carry a Gun Snake in all the calibers that I use hunting. This is in my day pack as a just in case item. But if the cleaning can wait until I get back to camp I'll wait.

I use a Tourbon gun cleaning roll up. I put bore snake, rem wipes, gun tool, whatever I need in it, and roll it up and put it in my tuffpak gun case or in my duffel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.44.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.44.19 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
I must compliment you on your well thought out cleaning kit and your outstanding leather work. Hopefully some overeager TSA agent will not confiscate due to the fact that it has oil and some other unknown, but possibly dangerous chemical (like Hoppes #9).

Seriously I have seen several empty & loaded cartridges stuck in the chamber that could only be dislodged with some form of rod.

I like those little Otis kits that fit in the buttstock of an M16. You could easily swap out the brush for any caliber and the patches can be adjusted for size.

I must compliment you on your well thought out cleaning kit and your outstanding leather work. Hopefully some overeager TSA agent will not confiscate due to the fact that it has oil and some other unknown, but possibly dangerous chemical (like Hoppes #9).

Seriously I have seen several empty & loaded cartridges stuck in the chamber that could only be dislodged with some form of rod.

You are correct about the TSA, and I did think of that. Both of those bottles are exactly 1 ounce and clearly marked on the bottom, so they fall within TSA regulations. The bottles shouldn’t even be looked at beyond the markings at the bottom.

But; who knows. They would likely confiscate the rod too, it too closely resembles a weapon of some sort I’m sure.

I use Real Avid Bore Boss kits. They are super tiny and along with some rem oil and a small bottle of solvent is all you would ever need. I am a minimalist on these matters. Other than a wipe down a rifle should not need to be cleaned on a hunt.

Hoppe's Viper Boresnake (for the appropriate caliber), a small container of Clenzoil CLP with a small rag fit nicely into my rifle case in a zip-top bag. I also carry a large supply Zeiss wipes for the optics and sunglasses. I usually give the remaining Zeiss wipes to my PH before I leave.

I will add that some rifles shoot different with a completely clean bore vs a fouled bore. You need to know of you have a POI shift if you plan on cleaning the bore with anything each day. Fortunately, I don't have this issue using just a bore snake.

You are correct about the TSA, and I did think of that. Both of those bottles are exactly 1 ounce and clearly marked on the bottom, so they fall within TSA regulations. The bottles shouldn’t even be looked at beyond the markings at the bottom.

But; who knows. They would likely confiscate the rod too, it too closely resembles a weapon of some sort I’m sure.
Y'all are overthinking it guys. There is only a liquid limit for carry on not checked.
Shells only get stuck in chambers from hot reloads. If it happens otherwise you should get another rifle or ammo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross