Husker-in-WA

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI , NRA
Hunted
South Africa Limpopo, British Columbia, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Maryland
After my upcoming Namibian, Kalahari area, hunt I'm considering having my trophies shipped to or picked up by my taxidermist in South Africa.

What are the issues I need to know about to get it done. Permits. Dip and Pack. Timeline. SA taxidermist pick up? Shipping companies. Costs.

I know some of you have done this after hunting different countries. I've not found much in the details about transporting to a neighboring country for taxidermy.

That's because most guys don't do it. It doubles the paper work. ie. Export it
from Namibia to RSA and then export it again. Dip and pack into RSA. Vet permits. Blah blah blah

Did it from Botswana to RSA. It can be done. No one likes to do it though.

Has the appointed taxidermist ever imported trophies from Namibia before?

Timeline for permits depends on the governments workers on both sides.

I had a giraffe hide sent to SA for tanning from Namiba and it turned into a nightmare. If you can find a reputable shipper in Namibia perhaps you'll be fine but the process took 2.5 years for me.

I did it from Zim to SA. Like Brickburn says, it doubles everything.... if you're deadset on doing taxidermy in SA it can be done, but remember that you have dip and pack regardless, which is part of the in country savings of SA hunting and SA taxidermy.

If I had it all to do over I'd ship back to the states.

That's because most guys don't do it. It doubles the paper work. ie. Export it
from Namibia to RSA and then export it again. Dip and pack into RSA. Vet permits. Blah blah blah

Did it from Botswana to RSA. It can be done. No one likes to do it though.

Has the appointed taxidermist ever imported trophies from Namibia before?

BRICKBURN, I'm waiting on his reply. I kinda doubt it. He's checking with his transporter. He is getting me some costs but commented same as you that dip and pack and other costs might be a deal breaker.

Safari Cargo did my import into RSA for me. You can ask them for a quote or some feedback.

Royal, That's what I was wondering. If dip and pack, permits, etc., etc., were required. It's not sounding like a feasible project.

Safari Cargo did my import into RSA for me. You can ask them for a quote or some feedback.

Thanks for the contact. I finished reading your Bots hunt report a couple weeks ago which prompted my query. Great report by the way.

Thanks for the contact. I finished reading your Bots hunt report a couple weeks ago which prompted my query. Great report by the way.

Thanks. My reports tend to do that.

Royal, That's what I was wondering. If dip and pack, permits, etc., etc., were required. It's not sounding like a feasible project.

I really don't think it is. Here are some really rough numbers from memory. Six animals in total, although it included a buff and a hippo, so not tiny stuff. Well, the grysbok offset. ;)

• Dip and pack $600
  • Import to SA $1000
  • Shipping $1000
My numbers aren't exact, but they won't be too far off.

I will find out soon myself. I will get my stuff sent to SA and it will be cheaper then coming from zim from what I found out so far. Time will tell I don't hunt till june this year

will be cheaper then coming from zim from what I found out so far

That wouldn't surprise me on shipping, but I wouldn't think it would be a whole lot less. From your research what would you estimate six animals to be from Nam?

And by whole lot I'm guessing just a couple hundred less?

still waiting on more for sure info. outfitter is checking and did not know for sure on all cost. still waiting on info from paul on his end. Will not be 2600 more just over 1000 but who knows till I have the right info from the right people

still waiting on more for sure info. outfitter is checking and did not know for sure on all cost. still waiting on info from paul on his end. Will not be 2600 more just over 1000 but who knows till I have the right info from the right people

Bill, Keep us posted when you hear more. My load will be 8-9 animals, but about half will be small, steenbok, duiker, klipspringer and like that. I'm a bit more optimistic now.

Your plan is shipping from Namibia? July is my timeframe. Preliminary cost savings for taxidermy in SA is running around $2k.

I will post when I know for sure but it will eat in to the saving that is for sure. I am not doing it only to save money as I like the work I get from my guy in SA some don't. I am not a big fan of over painted or over detailed mounts.

The guy I use in the states that I like takes almost 2 years to do a big order. For the stuff I have done in the states I use kanati run by wes good and his mounts and his habitat work is some of the best I have seen. So many choices that is for sure but I have not seen any work in Namibia I like so that is why I plan on sending to SA to be done with some of the rest of my animals from SA.

Last edited:
Bill, I'm on the same wave length. Taxidermist in SA I know and like his work, nothing fancy but quality at a good price. The local guy that did my caribou and moose from BC, does fine work. His prices are almost double what I pay in SA.
I plan on visiting a couple taxidermists upon arrival Windhoek. You can only see so much from pictures on their website. But there are noticeable differences from one to another which helps me narrow down my time in town when I should be out hunting.

Look forward to your updates.

I will keep you posted for sure. Which ones you going to look at when over there. I don't plan on looking at any don't want to give up the hunting time. :whistle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross