Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
I'm going to be in Italy for the next year, and plan to get at least one hunt in at some point. If it is earlier in the year, I'd like to bring the meat back home with me. Do any of you know if this is a possibility? I'm not settled on quarry or country yet. I won't be taking rifle with me, since I foresee that as a huge headache for the full year, so that's one less item I'd be carrying on a particular adventure.

Thanks for the input, especially since I'm fairly vague at this point.

I'm going to be in Italy for the next year, and plan to get at least one hunt in at some point. If it is earlier in the year, I'd like to bring the meat back home with me. Do any of you know if this is a possibility? I'm not settled on quarry or country yet. I won't be taking rifle with me, since I foresee that as a huge headache for the full year, so that's one less item I'd be carrying on a particular adventure.

Thanks for the input, especially since I'm fairly vague at this point.
The short answer for continental Europe is no. Because of the diseases that still exist in various countries in Europe and not here USDA regs prevent fresh, frozen and often cooked meat from entering the US. The exceptions I know of are New Zealand and Iceland. They are so disease free some meats can come in.

Feel free to do some researching here.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...t-information/animal-health-status-of-regions

I'll be living in Italy. My question is actually meant to ask info on transport within Europe only. Once I get on a plane in Texas I'll not be back until 2020, unless I get an Army school to attend

I was never in such situation, so the best advise is to ask your oufitter exactly the same question, once you decide in which country you will hunt.

At this moment adverse factor is african swine fever decimating wild boars in Europe, it is spreading, and this may cause further and more stricter rules.

@ArmyGrunt, I do not speak Italian so did a search in French on Google under "transport de viande de gibier en Europe" which means "transporting game meat in Europe" or " transport of game meat in Europe".

Here is the link a page that I found which will give you the information that you are after in perhaps too much detail: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/FR/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31992L0045

As the page is quite long I would recommend you translating it through the google translate tool at https://translate.google.com. To translate the whole page just copy and paste the link to the article into the first box, select the French as the original document language and then select for the translation to be in English. Once that is done just click on the active link in the second box which will take you the translated page in English.

If you do not want to read the whole thing, use the search function to search for specific keywords like "hunter", "game meat""transport" and more... It seems that the first CHAPTER relates to hunter and individuals transporting game meat in Europe.

Here is a small part:
French
3. Les exigences de la présente directive en matière d'échanges ou d'importations en provenance de pays tiers ne s'appliquent pas aux trophées ni aux pièces entières de gibier sauvage mis à mort transportées par des voyageurs dans leur voiture personnelle, dans la mesure où il s'agit d'une faible quantité de petit gibier sauvage ou d'une seule pièce entière de gros gibier sauvage et où il semble exclu, d'après les circonstances, que la viande de ces pièces entières soit destinée au commerce ou à une utilisation à des fins commerciales et sous réserve que le gibier en question ne provienne pas d'un pays ou d'une partie de pays en provenance desquels le commerce est interdit en application de l'article 11 paragraphes 2 et 3 ou de l'article 18.

English
3. The requirements of this Directive with regard to trade or imports from third countries shall not apply to trophies or whole pieces of killed wild game carried by travelers in their personal car, in a small quantity of small wild game or a single whole piece of wild game and where it appears that, under the circumstances, it is impossible for the meat of those whole pieces to be for trade or for commercial purposes and provided that the game in question does not come from a country or part of a country from which trade is prohibited pursuant to Article 11 (2) and (3) or Article 18.

Thanks for that extra effort, Jerome! I'll crack open the computer after while and have a go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross