Transition Zone Between East Cape and Southern Greater Kudu?

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Good morning, All,

I’m wondering if there is a clear gap between where East Cape kudu and southern greater kudu exist? Or is there overlap? How does it work? Is it a gradual and imperceptible transition? Or are there places where two distinct kinds are present?

If I understand correctly, the two kinds of kudu I’m wondering about are technically both the same - southern greater kudu - yet the differences are obvious enough.

A really big East Cape kudu might be around 50”, but I think I have heard of occasional bulls hitting 60”.

Please don’t mistake my curiosity for a lack of respect for one kind or a fixation on inches. I am fascinated by all kudu and really enjoy being around them and learning about them.

Kind regards,

Ben

Good question and I'm certainly no expert. Obviously there is a large difference between the "lesser" and the "greater". But IMO, separating and describing the various geographic races from all the historic kudu ranges, could become a real quagmire of shades of gray. The genetics of all the geographic subpopulations would have to be analyzed, including those from the range of the "lesser". If someone has access to some basic and comprehensive genetic research on all the various geographic kudu types, posting it here would be most interesting and helpful. :)

"Overlap" between Southern Greater and Eastern Cape physical types?- absolutely. I have seen kudu bulls smack in the middle of Southern Greater range that would be indistinguishable from the often described Eastern Cape type- tannish coat, smaller structure, more compact horns of mature bulls that appear to top out at about 50", etc. Then you see kudu bulls from smack in the middle of Eastern Cape range that look just like the larger Southern Greater type. Who knows? Genetic testing would be the only way to 'cipher it.

One thing that could really muddy the water (and likely already has) would be Eastern Cape landowners buying the largest specimens of Southern Greater kudu they can find then importing them into the Eastern Cape range for bragging/marketing rights. uh huh-

Last edited:
Depending on what you believe and who you talk to "Southern" kudu and "cape" kudu are the same sub species genetically speaking.

In the past you didn’t find a lot of kudu or any at all in the northern part of the Karoo north of Graaff Reinet / Middelburg and the Orange Free State. And in the east the southern Drakensberg to the coast, they didn’t occur either. So there was a geographic separation for a significant time and this contributed to the genetic differences within kudu although diet also plays a major role. Things are different now. From the 1984 and 1991 droughts kudu started migrating north and you now find kudu in pockets almost everywhere in the northern Karoo and OFS. There were introductions when game farming became popular in these areas but natural migrations preceded this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross