Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
So in may I am flying to Windhoek through Johanasburg then back to Kimberly. I will be flying with Air Canada/ Star Alliance and my bags are supposed to be checked all the way through to Windhoek. Do I need any permits in RSA to transit through or am I good to go. Thanks in advance for any help.

In all probability YES, you will need an intransit permit for RSA.

I have not seen your flight schedule for connections from Joburg to Windhoek, but the firearms will likely have to be picked up, processed in Joburg before your connecting flight.
Knowing SAA, there might just be a cancellation.
You do not want to be in any country with a firearm without the proper permit in place.

Multiple entry permit or in transit.
AfricaHunting.com - Hunting, Bowhunting, Hunters, Bowhunters

There is no way to get straight from WDH to KIM so you will be going back through JNB.
So, you will need the permit.

Good luck with your hunt.

I agree with Brickburn. He is spot on about this stuff.

Thanks guys, my travel agent wasn't sure, and this is my first hunt in Africa outside of the RSA. I have about a 3 hour lay over in JoBurg, I'll get African Sky House to do the paperwork to get through faster.

I've transited through JNB a couple of times and have never had to fill out any paperwork. If you're luggage including rifles is checked to your final destination you'll be fine even with a cancellation. If you're RON in JNB for your connection, by all means have your paperwork as you should claim your luggage.

I've transited through JNB a couple of times and have never had to fill out any paperwork. If you're luggage including rifles is checked to your final destination you'll be fine even with a cancellation. If you're RON in JNB for your connection, by all means have your paperwork as you should claim your luggage.

Can you let us in on a few details:
What was your final destination?
What Airline?
How long ago did you travel?

Can you let us in on a few details:
What was your final destination?
What Airline?
How long ago did you travel?

Sure. Final destination was WDH. Flew Delta from DFW-ATL-JNB-WDH round trip. Going I had to spend the night in JNB and returning connected in JNB but didn't RON. I had about 2:30 on the ground in JNB. Did it twice....2011 and 2012.

I also talked to several others who were doing the same thing I was but to other countries. The key is your airline, in my case Delta, having a baggage interline agreement with SAA. My experience has been seamless. I could see problems if there's not a baggage agreement in place with SAA.

Sure. Final destination was WDH. Flew Delta from DFW-ATL-JNB-WDH round trip. Going I had to spend the night in JNB and returning connected in JNB but didn't RON. I had about 2:30 on the ground in JNB. Did it twice....2011 and 2012.

I also talked to several others who were doing the same thing I was but to other countries. The key is your airline, in my case Delta, having a baggage interline agreement with SAA. My experience has been seamless. I could see problems if there's not a baggage agreement in place with SAA.

I agree, the key is your airline and the presence or absence of a baggage handling agreement that covers the entire trip.
Also, that you are not going to hunt at all in RSA.

Thanks.

So by the sounds as if I don't need a permit going to Windhoek, but will need it when I come back. Flying Air Canada to Frankfurt, SAA to JoBurg then SAA to Windhoek. Bags are supposed to be all the way through to Windhoek. Back to JoBurg with SAA and then to Kimberly with SAA. Should be the usual for flying within RSA. Thanks everyone.

What happens in Kimberly? Do you go on from there, hunting, what? Missing something here.

So by the sounds as if I don't need a permit going to Windhoek, but will need it when I come back. Flying Air Canada to Frankfurt, SAA to JoBurg then SAA to Windhoek. Bags are supposed to be all the way through to Windhoek. Back to JoBurg with SAA and then to Kimberly with SAA. Should be the usual for flying within RSA. Thanks everyone.

You will certainly need it when you make your return into RSA.

You will certainly need it when you make your return into RSA.

Yes I knew that, just wasn't sure about transiting to Windhoek. This is my first trip to Namibia, but fourth to RSA.

Yes I knew that, just wasn't sure about transiting to Windhoek. This is my first trip to Namibia, but fourth to RSA.

I hope Air Canada can manage to get your guns on the plane. Check that baggage tag and make sure they are checked all the way through. You never know when you are going to get the newest employee that has never checked a firearm before.
Have fun on your trip.

I hope Air Canada can manage to get your guns on the plane. Check that baggage tag and make sure they are checked all the way through. You never know when you are going to get the newest employee that has never checked a firearm before.
Have fun on your trip.

Not a problem in Grande Prairie Alberta Airport you take you checked luggage to the belt itself. I keep the air Canada website on my IPhone for the "new agents" hard for them to argue with that

So if i am reading the responses correctly. if you are transiting through joburg to windhoek you don't have to have an rsa permit? but it would be a good idea to be safe? we will be staying the night in joburg waiting for our flight to windhoek.

so it would be best to get the paper work done ahead of time just to be safe?

So if i am reading the responses correctly. if you are transiting through joburg to windhoek you don't have to have an rsa permit? but it would be a good idea to be safe? we will be staying the night in joburg waiting for our flight to windhoek.

You dont need the RSA paperwork unless you are laying overnight in JO, technically. It happened to me once where in transit to Windhoek, we got stuck ( missed our flight!) in JO overnight without paperwork. An extremely nice and helpful lady in customs, said not to worry, our guns were held in bond until our flight out of JO next day and not to worry. I would consider it generally a waste of time and money to get RSA paperwork if only in transit thru JO, but opinions vary.

The integral part of the question is are you ENTERING RSA?
If you are you require a permit.

Ses had someone hold his firearm, no idea how, and thus he did not take possession of it and it did not enter RSA.
Fortunate.

SAPS permits are ZERO COST, if you fill in the form yourself. Use a service and you pay for it.

"Information on Importation of Firearms into South Africa

Section 73 of the South African Firearms Control Act , 2000 (Act No 60/2000) determine that no person may import into or take in-transit through South Africa any firearms or ammunition without a temporary import or in-transit permit issued in terms of the said Act.

Firearm entering South Africa not for the purpose of licencing in South Africa can be divided in the following categories:

Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement, exhibition where after it will return to country of origin, wherefor a temporary import permit may be issued.

Firearms entering South Africa to be transported over SA ground to another country in Africa for personal use wherefor a in-transit permit may be issued.

Firearms entering South Africa for a period not exceeding six (6) months for the purpose of hunting, sport, self-defence, repair, law enforcement or exhibition and then taken to another country other than the country of origin wherefor an temporary import permit and additional export permit may be issued."

If you want to read the whole thing in context here is the address.

Crime Prevention - Firearms - Importation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg