Transiting through Johannesburg to Namibia

Areaonereal

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Flying from Joberg to Windhoek and returning to Joberg I assume you must clear customs in JNB and does your rifle clear thru the SAPS office as it did when you initialing arrived in JNB, I assume your original SAPS 520 that was issued upon your initial arrival suffices for your return from Windhoek to Joberg to secure possession of your rifle for your return to the US. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think you have right. I would use Henry at @riflepermits.com to get it all exactly right.

Are you spending the night at JNB? Then yes if transiting no RSA form needed.

It all depends on the airline. If you can check your bags all the way through to WDH you do not need a SAPS form or go through that process. You personally will have to go through customs. Same on the way back. As Philip stated above if you are spending the night in JNB you will have to do the SAPS form etc. Have fun.

I don't know if it helps but when I flew to Windhoek via Johannesburg, my rifle and ammunition stayed in transit and there was no need to fill out the forms in SA. I made sure it was booked through to destination.
I was only there a couple of hours so obviously if you are there overnight or will be collecting your firearms and actually importing them into the country then you will need to go down the paperwork road.

There are several factors that come into play. First you do have to get your SAPS permit but it will be an "In Transit" permit. Same form just one box checked differently. The next factor is whether or not the airlines will play nice and check them through on your return trip.

On my trip to Botswana this year I got my permit and took possession of my rifle upon arrival in Joburg, spent the night there, and checked my rifle with the second airline the following day. On my return trip I was able to work with the first airline to ensure that they would check the gun through and deliver it to the second airline. At each step in the process the airlines were able to confirm "yes we have your gun and this is what we are going to do with it". Pretty painless really.

I have always been a DIY guy when it comes to travel. I have never used an agent for any aspect of any trip. However this year I used riflepermits.com and it was money well spent. Being able to walk into the SAPS office pick up your gun and your permit and leave within 5 minutes is nearly priceless after the long flight to Joburg. I have spent up to 3 hours in that place in the past.

Good luck, relax, and enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!