Boela

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Zululand Hunters & Conservation Association, South African Hunters Association, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, England, Wales, Austria, Swaziland, US: Idaho, Alaska
A few years ago, one of my hunting buddies started hunting a particular property with me that I have been hunting for years. During his first trip there, we ended up in the outmost corner of the concession, with him looking the worst for wear after ripping his trousers on some nasty thorns, baring his underwear.
We called upon the tracker via our two way radio to come and collect us at more or less where we thought we were. Standing, waiting next to the track for our ride back to camp, we reflected on the afternoons hunt. It was at this time that I took my hunting knife and proceeded to cut his underwear's elastic band off. I walked over to the nearest tree with his underwear in hand and bound the garment onto a branch, as a joke, I sprinkled some water onto the tree and proclaimed that from this day on, this tree will be known as "Jean's tree".

The following year, we hunted the property again ended our first day's hunt nor far from where we were the year before. Noticing "Jean's tree", we walked over to it and low and behold, last year's garment was still bound to the branch. Jean looked at me and said: "Well, it is tradition now". He duly took his hunting knife, cut his underwear off and bound it to the tree.

From that day on, this tree has become a landmark for many hunters and has this spot become an area where we love to spend our last afternoon, bounding a new pair of underwear to the branch to symbolize the years hunt and to reflect upon the grace that we have been shown to live and hunt yet another season.

I know of quite a few other traditions like this, and would now like to hear if there is anyone else willing to share their stories / traditions with the rest of us?

Happy hunting!

20150924_175145.jpg
20150924_175542.jpg

Well, my tradition is a little less invasive than Boela's for sure. I generally say a prayer of thanks then drink a shot of whiskey after I'm successful on a hunt..

When I'm not successful, I drink whiskey and pray anyway, it makes me happy to give thanks.

Oh, the whiskey doesn't hurt!

I think I am losing something in the translation ... no interest in sharing that tradition ... but if it works for you????

I've heard of cutting shirt tails but not drawers! Good story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross