"Tracking" a tracking dog

Josh Neal

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Any PHs here the utilize a gps tracking collar on your dog? If so what brand do you use and how is the gps reception in your area?
Thank you.

I heard some PHs discussing this very thing while in Africa but did not catch the details!

Great question. I would also like to know if there have been any issues with the Garmin dog trackers, GPS/GLONASS. I look forward to hearing from the PHs on this thread. Thanks.

Not a PH but have hunted over dogs for thirty years and have always used tri tronics which is now owned by garmin. Great products and customer service/warranty. Have used dogtra as well but just their ecollars.

@008 have you used Garmin products outside of the US? My concern is with the mapping downloads for SA and other countries.

No sorry, not in Africa. Canada, Mexico and the Bahamas all worked but I have zero experience on the dark continent. Canada and Mexico were other's equipment so I don't know what their set up was specifically.

@Josh Neal , I am hunting in two weeks leopards with hounds, I know he uses collars on the dogs, will check what he uses.

@008 have you used Garmin products outside of the US? My concern is with the mapping downloads for SA and other countries.

Garmin did have some excellent mapping details in southern Africa. I don't know about the current interrations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg