Tourist killed by crocodile in Zimbabwe

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
A tourist has reportedly been killed and another was seriously injured in a crocodile attack in Zimbabwe's Matopos National Park in Matabeleland south over the weekend.

According to the state owned Herald newspaper, the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Authority confirmed the incident, saying that tourist John Bowman died on his way to hospital while Rosemary Mitchell was in a critical condition in hospital. Their nationalities were not given.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Authority spokesperson Tinashe Farawo added that the matter had been reported to the police.

He also advised tourists to stay away from wild animals.

"No matter how domesticated they are, they can be dangerous. It is unfortunate that they were using air pumped boats which are not permissible," Farawo was quoted as saying.

According to reports, there have been several crocodile attacks on humans in the southern African country.

CrocBITE, a worldwide crocodilian attack database manned from Australia, has details of a number of attacks in Zimbabwe stretching back to at least 2010.

The organisation says of crocodile-human conflict situations: "Often people have no choice but to undertake potentially risky activities... People may be fully aware of the risk of encountering a crocodile, but accept that risk anyway."

Source: https://www.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/tourist-killed-by-crocodile-in-zim-20180103

Inflatables? In water where crocs live? Darwin Award candidates.

The average person doesn't understand how dangerous wild animals are...and once they're warned they still don't believe it/don't care.

These people should spend less time watching Disney Cartoons

A relative of mine and his wife went to Zambia for a photo safari. He told me he couldn't believe how close they could get to the animals. I kept my mouth shut but wanted to tell him how naive and ill informed he was. I was just happy they made back in one piece.

Let's see- a tourista in an inflatable in a croc pool.... kind of like a large version of a top water bass bait.

Yes, Darwin does work... but sometimes so painfully slowly! I have a lot of respect for a 1000+ pound predatory water lizard with a brain not much bigger than a golf ball!!

.... that has survived this long with minimal evolutionary change. Efficient predator.

Last edited:
A relative of mine and his wife went to Zambia for a photo safari. He told me he couldn't believe how close they could get to the animals. I kept my mouth shut but wanted to tell him how naive and ill informed he was. I was just happy they made back in one piece.

Exactly what I thought when my brother and his wife did a self drive tour around the EC up through Swaziland to Kruger spent a few days in Lesotho then back to Capetown. Foolish in the extreme I was happy to see they made it in one piece but this will only embolden them to continue to do stupid stuff

I heard their choice of inflatable could have been better
2017-New-Water-Boat-Float-Pool-Swimming-Giant-Inflatable-Pool-Toys-Float-Child-Inflatable-Swim-Ring.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-New-.jpg
    2017-New-.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 211

In the Nat parks say south luangwa in a game viewing vehicle you can get close...had ele and lion walk past right next to vehicle when had friends out that we took there......just don't put your arms out or make noise...;)..they pretty used to the vehicles .

when I was up at kruger park, I pissed in a bottle. other than getting out of the car in a unsafe area.

What was unsafe?.....

Another person indoctrinated by Walt Disney that wild animals are friendly.
Many years ago I went to Yellowstone National Park. Drove the loop and counted 56 Black bears and two grizzlies. Two weeks later it was reported that a New Jersey couple had put jelly on their babe’s face to try to get a black bear to lick it off so they could take pictures of it. Luckily a park ranger saw what was going on and stopped it before anything serious happened. Almost another Disney victim.
Guess it helps the gene pool though.

Another person indoctrinated by Walt Disney that wild animals are friendly.
Many years ago I went to Yellowstone National Park. Drove the loop and counted 56 Black bears and two grizzlies. Two weeks later it was reported that a New Jersey couple had put jelly on their babe’s face to try to get a black bear to lick it off so they could take pictures of it. Luckily a park ranger saw what was going on and stopped it before anything serious happened. Almost another Disney victim.
Guess it helps the gene pool though.

That couple should have been arrested for endangering the welfare of a child, and threatened by a judge that any more stupidity and the child would be removed from their "care". Good grief that was dumb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg