Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
Good evening, gents!

Just a thought up for discussion. I have this goal of hunting 6 continents. I'm halfway there already since I began in 2014. Money isn't unlimited for me so I get to pace myself.
I'm April I'm planning on a wedding and dive honeymoon in Belize with my aquaholic bride. We both love boats and diving and swimming .

Points for discussion here:
Would Central America be considered a separate continent, technically, or is it just far southern North America?
If you ask consider it another continent then would fishing, more specifically spear fishing, count as a hunt?

I just want to make sure I check off those dream boxes properly!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Geographically it is not a separate continent. There are seven; NA, SA, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Antarctica. Only six can be hunted to my knowledge.

ArmyGrunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
That's my understanding as well, but I do recall from school that it was often referred separately
Geographically it is not a separate continent. There are seven; NA, SA, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Antarctica. Only six can be hunted to my knowledge.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
The demarcation line between North and South America is usually considered the mountains of the Isthmus of Panama which is essentially the Panamanian Colombian border. So yes, you would still be in North America. I don't believe SCI or Boone and Crockett have a spear fishing category. ;) That said, it's your set of goals and your rules; if you say spear fishing counts, then it counts.

ArmyGrunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Watching the spear fishing videos makes it look so cool and exiting! Although, I did hear a tale today of a Mississippi lawyer who was spear fishing, got the quarry but it managed to drag him into the deep. I guess there's danger in every sport. Except maybe bowling and chess...

Cam Moon

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had the same idea, but my bank about tends to indicate otherwise! Spear fishing? Tough call. It's called fishing still, not hunting. IDK...... Use your bow and we'll call it close enough? (Although that's still called bow 'fishing'. Hmmm........:E Undecided:
BUT, unfortunately for your plan, it's still North America. I say you still do it, but it won't count as a separate continent. I think it would be a blast!

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
I love Belize. I spent quite a bit of time down there in late 90’s. 3 trips in fact all scuba diving. Have fun! There are some monster grouper if you decide you spear fish.

deepwater

AH member
Reaction score
South America is a separate continent.
If you are free diving (not scuba) for pelagic species, I would call it hunting. The environment, quarry, danger, skill and preparation surpass whitetail as an adventure. $1,000 spear GUN with 20' range, 60' depth, holding breath for 1-2 minutes. Then getting the fish to the boat.
I have been diving since 1967, from Bonaire to Vancouver Island and I have not done the above. 1 minute of activity was my limit. It is hunting. My scuba certification instructors were ex-navy divers. They built spear guns over 6' tall. Giant sea bass about 200-300# in the kelp. These big bass are now protected.

Last edited:

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Watching the spear fishing videos makes it look so cool and exiting! Although, I did hear a tale today of a Mississippi lawyer who was spear fishing, got the quarry but it managed to drag him into the deep. I guess there's danger in every sport. Except maybe bowling and chess...
You beat a big oke badly in chess and it can be dangerous!

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Where does Australia fit in that? We are a continent and I haven’t heard it referred to as anything else.
I here the term Australasia, there is a big difference between us and them but some city’s have a little China or China town .

We are just floating out here all by ourselves . We have an alliance with New Zealand and they fought in New Guinea but they are the only ones I would count. Fiji and Vanuatu are friendly neighbours.

Good luck to the OP and I hope he hunts our great continent and takes the aquaholic bride to the Great Barrier Reef

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I had the same idea, but my bank about tends to indicate otherwise! Spear fishing? Tough call. It's called fishing still, not hunting. IDK...... Use your bow and we'll call it close enough? (Although that's still called bow 'fishing'. Hmmm........:E Undecided:
BUT, unfortunately for your plan, it's still North America. I say you still do it, but it won't count as a separate continent. I think it would be a blast!
Agree with Cam, it's fishing, no matter how you cut it a fish is a fish. Now here would be a confuser - klap a seal with your spear gun!

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Where does Australia fit in that? We are a continent and I haven’t heard it referred to as anything else.
I here the term Australasia, there is a big difference between us and them but some city’s have a little China or China town .

We are just floating out here all by ourselves . We have an alliance with New Zealand and they fought in New Guinea but they are the only ones I would count. Fiji and Vanuatu are friendly neighbours.

Good luck to the OP and I hope he hunts our great continent and takes the aquaholic bride to the Great Barrier Reef
To be a continent you need to have more than one kind of tree.... what you okes have is a bloody huge atoll!

Reactions: WAB

Cam Moon

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa

Oceana=Australia

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Oceana=Australia
I suspected that but why is it c classified that way?
I hear the term Oceanic and Australasia. We are separate from the others why is the greatest continent on earth just named Australia?

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media

Australia was one of the 7 continents I leaned in school. But that was back when the dates were 19xx AD not 19xx CE so its been a while since I learned them.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Australia was one of the 7 continents I leaned in school. But that was back when the dates were 19xx AD not 19xx CE so its been a while since I learned them.
Spot on

Cam Moon

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I call it Australia. Ihave no idea why it's referred to sometimes as oceana. I will continue to call it Australia.... I hope you can sleep better knowing that. LOL

Zambezi

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Use your speargun to take a non fish species. Then it can't be termed "fishing'... I'd start off with something like a small seal species, don't go straight for the big ocean dwellers. A killer whale will require a very large spear gun!

The only continent that you'll have trouble hunting on is the antarctic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobdhn

Latest profile posts

raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark
raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.