Torn between two calibers

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Catahoula, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Catahoula

Catahoula AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I am going on my first plains game safari next year. Zebra, wildebeest and warthog are on the menu. My Howa 30-06 is making the trip and is more than capable of taking the targeted game. However, I am enamored with the Ruger number one, having owned and hunted with several. I had planned on picking up a .375, (Already purchased a big lot of bullets from Tarbe) but the one I had my eye on has sold. It's probably overkill anyway. I was also offered a 416 Rem. at a great price, but that is definitely more than needed. I've got my eye on two, a 9.3x62 and a 405 Winchester. I know that either is more than enough for my planned hunt. Either is also usable for all manner of North American game. So.....

1) 405 Winchester- Limited options in ammo and bullet selection, especially heavier than 300 grains. Brass and ammo are pricey. Trajectory makes it a ~200 yard gun. But....the one I'm looking at has a beautifully figured stock. Should be a winner within it's limitations. Teddy took it to Africa! (I'm a nostalgic old guy) It's a discontinued caliber that had limited production. It is slightly more costly than the 9.3 and definitely more costly to feed.

2) 9.3x62. Good availability of brass, bullets and ammo at reasonable prices. Trajectory suitable for longer ranges. Available NIB at reasonable prices. proven over and over on all manner of African game. But.... all that I have seen have plain jane wood on them, as do most (Not all) of the recently produced number ones. These are readily available so I could shop around to find one that catches my eye. I do admire nicely figured walnut.

What to do? I know, get both. Probably not happening. If I purchase two, one will be a .375 or .416.

2. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I would like the 9.3X62

3. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    Which one are you going to be able to purchase and shoot it enough that it is comfortable for you?

For me personally I would go with the .375 but then I have always been interested in the 416's and if I found one that I liked and could afford I would buy it.

Other than that I wouldn't be in a hurry to purchase one that you may pay more for just because you would like to take it with you on your safari. As you said your 06 will get the job done.

4. K-man

K-man AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
    It sounds like you are trying to decide between a weapon as a tool or a weapon as a work of art. If you get both thats great. Keep looking and you might find both in one. Either will be enought gun for almost any scenario.

5. Catahoula

Catahoula AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I'm not really looking for a piece of art, but I do appreciate a good looking firearm. Function and form don't have to be mutually exclusive. I'd buy a fine double, but most cost as much as a safari! I agree, either should do the job.

I'll shoot either enough to get comfortable. I'm fortunate enough to have a range at home. I shoot 3-4 times a week. Sometimes it's only a couple of shots from field positions after work, but I find those sessions to be very beneficial. After all, it's the first shot that counts!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

6. Witold Krzyżanowski

Witold Krzyżanowski AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe
    My sugestion: 9,3 x 62.
    Witold

Redruff and ZG47 like this.

7. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    If you allready havethe bullets, why not continue looking for a nice 375?

All 3 calibers are classic and connected to Africa... it does seem the 9.3 might be the one you really want.. Would be very cool in a full stock version!

I'm with you in appreciating a nice rifle with great wood! I want that balance of a working rifle that is just far enough from being a true piece of art that I can still hunt with it.

8. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West
    Come the the dark side and get a 375 H&H job done!:Blackalien:

BWH, larry4831, Ado and 3 others like this.

9. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    I've used my 9.3x62 on 4 trips to Africa it will take any plains game and all dangerous game if you do your part. Having said that a 375 H&H will do it better.

10. Upton O. Good

Upton O. Good AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life member, Nature Conservancy, Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Canada, Mexico, United States, Louisiana
    I personally love the .375, it's dangerous game legal but can be great on everything from genet on up.

11. Kevin Davenport

Kevin Davenport AH Member

Hunted:
    USA,
    CZ 550fs in 9.3x62 and a Merkel .450-.400 would be my pick!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

12. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    the 9.3

13. 8x68

8x68 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, CCFR
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    I like both the 9.3 & 375 H&H (I have both calibres). Recoil from either is more of a "push" than 'thump" on the shoulder. I do believe though that the 375 would have a bit of an edge over the 9.3 but not by much. Much can also be said of the 8x68S (I have this calibre also and it's awesome). Basically a 338WM without the ouch! (I have this calibre also :)) Anyone sensing a theme here?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

14. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Action Bob has given you should advice. Keep looking for a 375.

larry4831 and sierraone like this.

15. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    375, you got the bullets! 9.3 would meet the cool factor big time in a no.1 international. And then turn me on to the good deal 416! Lol
    Cheers,
    Cody

16. AB2506

AB2506 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Alberta, Florida, Eastern Cape of South Africa
    9.3x62

17. Boela

Boela AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Zululand Hunters & Conservation Association, South African Hunters Association, PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, England, Wales, Austria, Swaziland
    I can't agree more! a Wildebees is hard to put down at the best of times, and you will find spare 375 ammo almost anywhere. I would also encourage you to keep to your original idea of hunting with a 375.

regards.

sierraone likes this.

18. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Look on Gunbroker.com, there is a 375 H&H in Ruger No.1 with nice wood, currently at ~$550. There is also a 375 Ruger. Another couple of good online sources that I've bought guns from are Bud's Guns and also RealGuns.com

19. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    None of the above! In the Ruger No. 1 you have another wonderful option, the 9.3x74R! You get the same ballistics as the 62 with the potential for a little more if you handload and a big rim for the extractor. Brass is no problem, same caliber, but a classic single shot/double rifle cartridge. BTW, I found a BEAUTIFULLY stocked No.1 so chambered on GB for under a grand. I have had two of these and they shot great. Look it over before you decide. BTW, No.1 rifles kick pretty hard in the bigger cals.

20. Ado

Ado AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, RW, SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia, South Africa, NZ
    30-06 and the 375 H&H are a perfect pair.

I tend to think in battery terms... If you have both of these, then how about bigger again for when you finally have an ele in your sights - read 458 Lott or WM...

With my 30-06 and 375 H&H, I really don't see the need for anything in between.

That said the 9.3x62 (or other 9.3 varietal) is a wonderful caliber full of character.

No help I know...:)

Ado

BWH and ActionBob like this.