Top ten African animals to hunt

Ayaan Jakhura

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zambia, South Africa, Malawi
Say you were going on safari to five parts of Africa, Southern Africa, east Africa, North Africa, central Africa and West africa. You have an unlimited budget and you were allowed to shoot ten animals at each destination what would you shoot and why?

Lord Eland Derby, Mountain Nyala, Sitatunga, leopard, lion, less kudu, roan, elephant, sable, and Bongo.

Pretty simple: Daily rates, trophy fees, cost to travel there and export anything out of there.

Lord Eland Derby, Mountain Nyala, Sitatunga, leopard, lion, less kudu, roan, elephant, sable, and Bongo.

Pretty simple: Daily rates, trophy fees, cost to travel there and export anything out of there.

I like your selections enysse and would put that Bongo top of the list.

Enysse has a good selection, I would just leave out the cats and include hippo and croc.

Agree with Enysse, but I'd take out the elephant and add hippo, croc, black and blue wildbeest (because I haven't gotten either, so why not?) as well as some wing shooting.

I think I would have to go with the dangerous 7, add the Lord Derby, bongo and sitatunga. I also like the Livingston Eland a lot. But, I’ll never have the funds to do it except reading about it or in my dreams! And I do enjoy that a lot!

I like your selections enysse and would put that Bongo top of the list.

I really would like to hunt a Bongo too, I just don't know if it will ever happen for me. The countries they are hunted in a not for the faint of heart.

What is this Lord Eland you speak of?
:giggle::D:cry:

Think you nailed it.

Personally, here is my list...based on nothing more than what I think would be great trophies or fun hunts.
Kudu, Waterbuck, Nyala, Gemsbuck, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo, Croc, Sable, Red Hartebeest.

Based off skull mounts or in case of croc, tanned hide.

Say you were going on safari to five parts of Africa, Southern Africa, east Africa, North Africa, central Africa and West africa. You have an unlimited budget and you were allowed to shoot ten animals at each destination what would you shoot and why?
Five parts of Africa and ten animals in each? That would be 50 animals - a bit of a long list to put together.

I've hunted many of the animals that that are available, except the Lord Derby Eland (which is set for January, 2019). My top nine would be the spiral horned antelope, because firstly, they are beautiful, secondly, at least four of them are very hard to hunt and require that you not only really want to hunt them, but that you really do in fact hunt hard for them, and thirdly, you need to travel around much of Africa to hunt them all. So there's the list in order of difficulty (LDE is first only because I haven't hunted it yet):

Lord Derby Eland: (may move down the list if it comes easy, but likely not!)
Bongo (difficult hunt in terrible conditions - if anyone invites you to the rainforests of Africa for tea, I suggest a pass).
Sitatunga (forest) - (again, generally a difficult hunt if hunted in West Africa because of the conditions and because there is (outside of Zambian swamps) no way to make a plan to hunt these - just a case of right place at the right time).
Mountain Nyala (Ethiopia, high altitude, and typically very long shots)
Lesser kudu (rivals the bushbuck for beauty)
Bushbuck (any of the sub-species, but particularly the harnessed bushbuck of West Africa - beautiful colour and markings)
Nyala (free ranging in its natural environment, of course)
Eland
Kudu
(beautiful and iconic, but other than in East Africa, not generally a particularly challenging hunt)

And for number 10, it would be black rhino, because you said money was not a problem.

If I was making another top ten list, it would be the Tiny Ten, because they're (many of them) are extremely challenging to hunt, you need to travel to more than one country to hunt them, and they are lovely little things.

I am going to be a bit greedy, you said money is no issue.

West Africa

1. Western Roan

2. Defassa Waterbuck

3. West African Savanna Buffalo

4. Lion

5. Western Kob

6. Major Hartebeest

7. Bohor or Nagor Reedbuck

8. Harnessed Bushbuck

9. Oribi

10. Duiker or warthog

East Africa

1. Elephant

2. Buffalo

3. Lion

4. Leopard

5. Lesser Kudu

6. Kirk Dik Dik

7. Peters Duiker

8. Fringe Eared Oryx

9. Wallers Gazelle(Gerenuk)

10. Roosevelt Sable

Central Africa

1. Lord Derby Eland

2. Bongo

3. Western Greater Kudu

4. Sitatunga

5. Giant Forest Hog

6. Red River Hog

7. Yellow Backed Duiker

8. Bates Antelope

9. White Bellied Duiker

10. Black Fronted Duiker

11. Bay Duiker

12. Dwarf Forest Buffalo

I would skip North Africa and go to Ethiopia.

1. Mountain Nyala

2. Gunther’s Dik Dik

3. Nile Buffalo

4. Beisa Oryx

5. Harnessed Bushbuck

6. Lesser Kudu

7. Giant Forest hog

8. Lion

9. Spotted Hyena

10. Leopard

Southern Africa

1. Vaal Rhebuck

2. Mountain Reedbuck

3. Suni

4. Livingston Suni

5. Damara Dik Dik

6. Blue Duiker

7. Red Duiker

8. Cape Grysbuck

9. Sharpe’s Grysbuck

10. Klipspringer

That should keep me occupied for a while.

Lesser Kudu
Burkina Faso for Buff and Plains Game (mostly Bushbuck but Sing Sing Waterbuck might be nice)
Zambia for Leopard and Black Leechwe
Uganda for Sitatunga, and more Buckbuck and Kob
Target Big Greater Kudu - Like just 10 day trip during the rut, where I can take a couple
Probably some of the Tiny Ten
Would like to hunt Moz someday too
Multiple Tuskless Elephant hunt

I think that would about cover it.

Lesser Kudu
Burkina Faso for Buff and Plains Game (mostly Bushbuck but Sing Sing Waterbuck might be nice)
Zambia for Leopard and Black Leechwe
Uganda for Sitatunga, and more Buckbuck and Kob
Target Big Greater Kudu - Like just 10 day trip during the rut, where I can take a couple
Probably some of the Tiny Ten
Would like to hunt Moz someday too
Multiple Tuskless Elephant hunt

I think that would about cover it.

I would also like to get a Buckbuck sounds cool! Same area as Sing Sing? May be a Gupta buck! Ours all ran away as soon as they became "wanted"!

:D

I would also like to get a Buckbuck sounds cool! Same area as Sing Sing? May be a Gupta buck! Ours all ran away as soon as they became "wanted"!

:D
That's what I get for typing on my phone...but if I can find a good population of buckbucks, I'm going to hunt them, lol.

Oh I forgot the harnessed bushbuck! They are little beauties!

Elephant in Namibia
Sitatunga in the swamps of Tanzania
Lion and Livingston Eland in Zim
Bongo in the jungle of Botswana

What is this Lord Eland you speak of?

Thanks for the correct! That is what happens when you don't sleep for months on end.......

lvW, I did like your list a lot. You are very knowledgeable about a vast number of subjects.

I would have liked to added topi to my list!

Elephant,Cape Buffalo,Black Rhino,White Rhino,Lion,Leopard,Bongo,Lord Derby Elan,Croc,Hippo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg